Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions? (Read 550 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?
01/05/17 at 13:25:59

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the stock seat on my 2014 S40. Two reasons: the stock seat looks a bit 'meh', and I get a numb tailbone when riding for any length of time.

This is the main contender for me at the moment:

http://corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml

I love the look of it and I have heard some good reports.

Has anyone had specific experience with this seat, especially the numbing factor of the stock seat?

I have looked around the forum and only found a few bits and pieces of information.

Any recommendations for other seats would also be appreciated  Smiley

Corbin_seat_S40.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?
Reply #1 - 01/05/17 at 13:50:46

To fix the numb tailbone takes $5 worth of Lowes rubber bumpers.  

Look in the tech section for the "how to do it".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 01/05/17 at 13:55:40

I was just reading up on the mods now.

I didn't realise it helped with the tailbone issue  Smiley

Cheers

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/05/17 at 16:14:11

Island,

I have been dealing with injury to my tailbone and have moved the rectifier and cut a portion of the seat pan away to make that portion of the seat softer. See cutout in picture.

Corbin seats are great and I have one on my Buell. The seat Corbin produces for the Savage/S40 pushes the driver front towards the tank and I don't think that is good for one's tailbone.

Kenny G
« Last Edit: 01/12/17 at 15:27:34 by Kenny G »  

IMG_0726.JPG
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 01/05/17 at 18:39:25

"The seat Corbin produces for the Savage/S40 pushes the driver front towards the tank"

I agree with that. Forward too much in my case. At 6ft tall, I was already a little scrunched with the stock seat (the seat lift mod helped). The Corbin seat upset my whole balance. I was pushed up to the tank, suddenly my comfortable stock buckhorn handlebars were too close to me and I was going to need to extend the footpegs forward. It was a nice seat, but I gave up on it and sold it here on the forum.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/05/17 at 19:26:20

I can't tell you about the Savage seat but I have a Corbin on my Sportster and I love it. Just bring you and your bike to Hollister , CA , USA and they will custom make you a seat , special to fit your butt while you wait !
However it is by appointment only !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 01/05/17 at 20:24:28

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought it looked like the Corbin seat would push me forward. it is a good looking seat though! But I probably would have been disappointed if I ordered one.

I've been moving around in the saddle, trying different positions, while doing research. Moving forward a bit isn't all bad, but I'd rather move back a touch, and just relieve some pressure off the tailbone.

I remembered last night that I know a guy who does auto trimming. I got in touch with him today.  Will probably get the stock seat customised.  Shouldn't cost more than shipping a Corbin from the States  Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 01/05/17 at 20:26:40

I also found an old thread on here, from a guy who was making extensions for the forward controls (6" and 2"). I'd love to get a 2" set.  But not sure if he's still doing it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/05/17 at 22:01:29

The one piece seat isn't nearly as comfortable as the old two piece.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 01/06/17 at 13:58:53

I really like the look of the old two piece seat too.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/05/17 at 22:01:29:
The one piece seat isn't nearly as comfortable as the old two piece.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 01/06/17 at 16:07:07

I did the seat lift mod on mine and it helped a lot.  I have lower back pain and tailbone pain if I put too much pressure on it.  The mod made me go from about half an hour to around an hour and a half before having to take a break. Hour and a half, you probably need to think about fuel anyway.

I tell you, If I knew what kind of foam to get, I'd raise it up 3 inches and level it with the pillion seat.  The extra padding would be nice and the additional seat height with the ability to move around would be wonderful. I don't want to sit in a hole, I want to sit on the seat.  Guess that comes from the old days of Honda CB seats.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 01/06/17 at 17:00:25

I briefly sat up on the edge of the pillion seat, on a quiet stretch of road, to stretch my legs. It was surprisingly comfortable.

I may speak to my motor trimmer guy about replacement foam and reshaping. I'm sure we can do better than the stock seat.

The responses in this thread have got me thinking about the seat mod. But I'm gonna give the seat an overhaul anyway because I don't like anything about the one piece stock seat,, so I'll leave raising it for now and put up with it. I found if I move forward and inch it relieves the tailbone issue, but of course it bends the knees more. I don't have any really long rides planned for the next couple of weeks. So ai can work with that ☺

Steve H wrote on 01/06/17 at 16:07:07:
I did the seat lift mod on mine and it helped a lot.  I have lower back pain and tailbone pain if I put too much pressure on it.  The mod made me go from about half an hour to around an hour and a half before having to take a break. Hour and a half, you probably need to think about fuel anyway.

I tell you, If I knew what kind of foam to get, I'd raise it up 3 inches and level it with the pillion seat.  The extra padding would be nice and the additional seat height with the ability to move around would be wonderful. I don't want to sit in a hole, I want to sit on the seat.  Guess that comes from the old days of Honda CB seats.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/06/17 at 17:46:57

I added a couple of inches of foam to the drivers portion of the seat when I had my seat reupholstered with a rolled and pleated design.

If you are having a tailbone issue the 2 piece seat hits at the same spot as single piece seat does. I had to relocate my rectifier to remove the portion of the seat pan that hit my tailbone.

Incidentally I am about 6' tall with a 30" inseam.

After the modification my tailbone was able to heal.

Kenny G

IMG_0450_002.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/06/17 at 22:54:14

Kenny, that seat looks terrific! I especially like the upholstery.

I have the upper body of a 6' guy and the legs of a 5' guy ... I'm not kidding. Your seat mod looks like it would probably ease the problem I'm having, but I think I would have trouble when I stopped. I' m looking forward to kicking around ideas with the guy who is doing the mod for me. However he's on holiday until the 16th of January.

Incidentally, my rectifier is right under the center of the pillion seat.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #14 - 01/07/17 at 00:34:04

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 13:16:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone got a Corbin seat - Opinions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.