Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Really....No Free Air?
01/04/17 at 06:33:32

It now costs $1.50 to put air in your tires at the local convenience store - but you can use your Visa or MasterCard!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Really....No Free Air?
Reply #1 - 01/04/17 at 06:50:40

Yep. There hasn't been a place near me with a free air hose hanging on the side of the building for quite a few years. Most of the ones around here still take quarters though. The compressor doesn't run very long for 25 cents. If you've got more than one tire to top off you better have a pocket full of change. Roll Eyes

I hope that thing a least runs till you're done for a buck and a half.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 06:57:09

Harbor Freight Tools has all kinds of compressors for cheap,Portable ones will fill tires too !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/04/17 at 07:03:20

Ruttly wrote on 01/04/17 at 06:57:09:
Harbor Freight Tools has all kinds of compressors for cheap,Portable ones will fill tires too !

I went to this store as they have good deals on drinks.....I only noticed the compressor as I had to park near it.  I will obviously just drive home and use my compressor if I have that option.

I would imagine most of these machines are used when folks don't have a choice......they likely see that they are running on a tire that is nearly flat - and they have to do something in a hurry!  This happened to me a couple of months ago when we were out to dinner, and my left front tire was going flat. I had to stop 3 times on the way home to add air.....and it cost me 75 cents to add air each time.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 01/04/17 at 09:04:38

Yeah I made a 12volt one from air shock air compressor for when I'm on the road and also AAA member

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Joer0952

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Perth Amboy NJ
Reply #5 - 01/04/17 at 10:02:21

I live in NY I have never in my entire life seen any station offer free air.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 01/04/17 at 10:09:49

Youngster

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/04/17 at 10:09:52

A long time ago, most gasoline stations also had garages and they were the local mechanics.  They did the vehicle maintenance, and they had lifts that were operated by air.......so they always had a larger air compressor.  One one wall of the service station, or out on a post at the corner of the lot was a red air hose hanging on a hook.  Some of the better ones had a valve/gauge combination and you could fill your tire when you pushed the button, and then read the pressure in the tire when you let go of the button.

The "free air" hoses went away when convenience stores and food markets became the place you purchased gasoline......as they don't need a compressor to operate their business.  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/04/17 at 10:20:45

Dave wrote on 01/04/17 at 10:09:52:
A long time ago...  
--------

...in a galaxy far away,

I think those days are about gone.  Sheetz is the only chain around me that still does fee air.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 01/04/17 at 11:11:55

There are still a few convenience stores around here with free air.  The one next to work is on the side of the car wash, which, for some reason, has an air compressor inside.  It even has the fancy pressure gauge built in.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #10 - 01/04/17 at 13:19:12

Most of the Casey's stations around me still have free air

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Joer0952

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Perth Amboy NJ
Reply #11 - 01/04/17 at 13:48:10

Dave wrote on 01/04/17 at 10:09:52:
A long time ago, most gasoline stations also had garages and they were the local mechanics.  They did the vehicle maintenance, and they had lifts that were operated by air.......so they always had a larger air compressor.  One one wall of the service station, or out on a post at the corner of the lot was a red air hose hanging on a hook.  Some of the better ones had a valve/gauge combination and you could fill your tire when you pushed the button, and then read the pressure in the tire when you let go of the button.

The "free air" hoses went away when convenience stores and food markets became the place you purchased gasoline......as they don't need a compressor to operate their business.  

Even the gas stations like the ones you describe have always charged for air by me, atleast in the past 30 years that I can remember getting air.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/04/17 at 13:51:00

When I was a maintenance man for a chain of convenience stores we had a compressor at every location. I would get calls to go replace the air chuck that someone stole.
But, BUYING the equipment to install that takes the charge card, maintaining it, it just looks like bad business. BE the Free Air location and Attract more people. The cost of the compressor is the same. Avoid the cost/maintenance on the vending machine end, and spend $50.00 on signs

Free Air..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 15:17:21

There is a gas station in Burlingame , CA on El Camino Real that has a car wash with a big sign that says " Best Hand Job In Town "
Always makes me laugh !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 19:10:01

I refuse to pay for air! C'mon it's air! I have plenty of free ways to supply air. Even a small bicycle pump will get you by in a pinch.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:18:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Really....No Free Air?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.