Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter (Read 437 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter
Reply #30 - 01/06/17 at 11:23:39

This is the connection with the bumps ground off

IMG_20170107_062453.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #31 - 01/06/17 at 13:06:53

Just my opinion, turn the clamp so that the bolt is pointed down for a cleaner look.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #32 - 01/06/17 at 13:56:35

Haha, it's been driving me crazy since I fitted it. I had so much hassle getting it installed so I haven't been game to loosen it off to turn it ... but I think I'm gonna have to  Smiley

Kris01 wrote on 01/06/17 at 13:06:53:
Just my opinion, turn the clamp so that the bolt is pointed down for a cleaner look.  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #33 - 01/06/17 at 14:32:53

LOL! I know that feeling!

You're so proud of yourself that you got it done and it doesn't leak so now you want to step back and admire your work, not redo it!  Grin

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #34 - 01/06/17 at 17:40:33

@IslandRoad, mind => blown. First I have to thank you for these invaluable photos. This should be retitled the Dyna gotcha thread.

I'm most surprised by the 3 step down pipes coming out of the header, who knew? Plus how come no one else has mentioned these bumps before, I guess they aren't on every Dyna but someone must have come across it.

I think I'll prepare all this info and let the muffler people think about it. Right now I'm thinking about having the muffler welded in place. It's welded in place on my GS500 and I found no problem getting the entire muffler and header off that, so I don't really see any urgent need to keep this removable. It's not like I'm going to want to change out the mufflers anytime during the next 10 years.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #35 - 01/06/17 at 18:02:48

Your welcome  Smiley

The bumps in the Dyna have been mentioned here somewhere. I can't remember which thread. I think they don't all have them, but I could be wrong.

As for getting the exhaust off later, it all comes off easily when fully assembled. You just need to take off the heat shield near the right foot peg. The bolts go right through to the other side of the bike so  you have to hold the other side with a spanner. Be careful doing that, even if you only idled the bike for a couple minutes to test it, because you could burn your arm on the header when you reach around ... dont ask me how I know!

Welding was gonna be my next option if I didn't get it to work. All seems good now. I burned some incense and let the smoke waft around the join to check for leaks ( another tip from another user on here). Couldn't find any ☺

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #36 - 01/06/17 at 18:16:56

IslandRoad wrote on 01/06/17 at 18:02:48:
I burned some incense and let the smoke waft around the join to check for leaks ( another tip from another user on here). Couldn't find any ☺

You can also just wave a candle/match/lighter around the joint to see if a leak moves the flame.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #37 - 01/06/17 at 18:21:08

@IR, I meant getting it all off in one piece if it's welded. Someone in another thread welded it, which seemed like a good idea but then it seems that most people warned against that, but I don't really know why. I'm most concerned that say the bike falls over and bumps the muffler or gets knocked on a trip and then there's a leak, that would truly be a PITA, especially as it's not my bike, it's the gf's.

@Kris, I don't think the incense was for the leak, it was to smooth the way for the muffler gods.

I have a feeling that IslandRoad has ruined my Dyna muffler initiation where whoever does this mod must discover for themselves the minor irritations, it's like unless you've overcome some obstacles you haven't really earned it ;¬)

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #38 - 01/06/17 at 20:20:46

eau de sauvage wrote on 01/06/17 at 18:21:08:
@Kris, I don't think the incense was for the leak, it was to smooth the way for the muffler gods.

Grin
Couldn't hurt!

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 01/09/17 at 09:01:40

It looks great

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home