Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter (Read 437 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter
01/03/17 at 22:12:55

I have not seen this point raised before and it seems unlikely that no one has thought of it therefore I was wondering what the obvious problem is that I'm missing...

Instead of using the 6 degree angled adapter to attach the Dyna muffler is there a reason that this angle cannot be taken up where the Dyna rail attaches to the frame by using a spacer on the bolt, or some other modification at the mounting end?

Also providing that all bolts are secure is a single mounting bolt on the muffler safe enough.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter
Reply #1 - 01/03/17 at 22:32:06

Sauvage,

I have just a single bolt mounting bolt between the muffler and the mounting bracket and it has been satisfactory for over 5000 miles.

Without the adapter the muffler is aimed at the rear brake arm. Plenty of guys have just used the tin can method rather than the adapter. IIRC the procedure is posted in the Technical Documents.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 01/03/17 at 22:44:47

I've got one bolt holding my Dyna on too, and a bit of Loktite on the nut.

As Kenny said, the angle is not just up, it's also back. The back part of the rail on the Dyna sits kinda up on the raisied edge of the mounting plate on the bike. The front bolt is not exactly perpendicular to the mounting bracket either, but the rubber grommets allow enough flex for it to work.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 01/03/17 at 22:57:01

What about welding something on to the black subframe that attaches to the dyna rail? It's just that I've decided that if I'm going to get the local muffler people to make and angled adapter that seeing as they'll have all the equipment I could do without the adapter and weld something on the frame to meet the Dyna rail instead of using the adapter to make the Dyna rail meet the frame.

Or is this not possible at all due to some other reasons

EDIT: @IslandRoad, how about welding a custom piece onto the subframe? I haven't had the muffler off yet so I can't fully see what precisely is needed.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 01/03/17 at 23:11:14

I stepped outside and took a photo for you.

That stripy thing at the top is the chrome muffler reflecting the boards off the decking  Cool

You can see it's kind of offset at an awkward angle. Not close enough to bolt down, but too close to fit anything. I've some guy's photos where the angle looks more pronounced. There might be some slight variation between years for some of the angles on the bike. That mounting rail does have a little bit of flex though.

I had ago at a couple of options for fitment and ended up back here.

I'll post some photos shortly.

20170104_180704_001.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 01/03/17 at 23:15:08

BTW, I tried bolting it into place to line up with the mount. It was too tempting not to. The result was a leak at the muffler/header join. There's about a 1mm difference in diameter between the Dyna muff ID and the header pipe OD. this allows some wriggle room which tempts you to line the Dyna up on the rail ... straight on the header is better.

My header also had to be rotated out a bit from the bike. The heat shield near the right foot still goes on but could do with a little bit of a bend on the rear lug to help it sit better.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 01/03/17 at 23:34:52

@IslandRoad, I just had a look at your saddlebag shot and I can see that you have mounted the Dyna directly to the header. Are you saying that with the Dyna mounted square to the header pipe that the rail sits as it does in the above photo? Or is that with it not sitting perfectly straight on the header?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 01/03/17 at 23:41:39

My local muffler guy made me an adapter (kind of a prototype). It's just a bent pipe, flared at one end.

You can see that even when the Dyna sits flat on the mount, it points down a bit. The rail mount on the back of the stock pipe is angled to offset this.

Also the adapter is too long, I believe there is a limit to how far you can lengthen a header without affecting the compression.

The muffler guy and I discussed cutting a bit off the header (the bit that fits into the muffler), welding the adapter on (I couldn't get it to seal). But I didn't want to chop and weld on the stock parts.

If I WAS gonna go this way, I would have an adapter made from two different sized pipes cut at a 7 degree mitre- then probably welded onto the header (after the header was shortened). There are threads on the forum buy guys who have done all that stuff. (you've probably already seen them).

I just re-fitted my Dyna today, because I had some leaks, due to mounting it using both bolts. So my head is full of this stuff right now.

Muffler_Adapter_-_Small_Image.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 01/03/17 at 23:44:25

Yeah, that was when I used both bolts on the mount. Once I realised I had a leak it was obvious that the join at the header was a bit off.

eau de sauvage wrote on 01/03/17 at 23:34:52:
@IslandRoad, I just had a look at your saddlebag shot and I can see that you have mounted the Dyna directly to the header. Are you saying that with the Dyna mounted square to the header pipe that the rail sits as it does in the above photo? Or is that with it not sitting perfectly straight on the header?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 01/03/17 at 23:48:17

This is the bike as of today with the Dyna lined up properly, and not leaking, as far as I can tell. I took her for a spin and all seems good.

Dyna_-_full_fit.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 01/03/17 at 23:53:57

Three things I learned today that might help:

1. Not all tin cans are the same. Standard sized cans, like for soup etc, don'y have a high enough profile on the ridges. Large dog food cans do.

2. An original Dyna muffler clamp is the best $11 dollars you'll ever spend.

3. Some Dyna's have two little welded bumps inside the pipe, which I assume key into the header on the Harley. You need to file or grind them down - however, I found out they are pinned so they opened up two holes in the inner pipe. They're little, but a hole is a hole. I filled them with a little exhaust cement.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #11 - 01/04/17 at 00:03:43

@IslandRoad,

OK I see the two bumps inside the dyna but on mine they look too deep to be a problem, at 1.75" inside the pipe. I have a couple of Dyna clamps. So are you saying that even with angled tube so the muffler went on straight that you still needed the tin can to get a good seal? Also is that shot above (where you have the rail sitting on the edge of the bracket) including the angled adapter?

EDIT:,

Ok I'm just going to package up all this information and get the muffler shop to work it all out :¬) It's enough work doing the rejetting without faffing around with muffler leaks. I've spoken them and I'm sure they'll do a good job. http://www.toysmuffler.com.au

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 01/04/17 at 00:16:08

10 bucks says the muffler guy can't work it out  Cool

We're fitting a non-metric muffler to a metric header. The muffler guy and the mechanic I spoke to were keen to help but just ended up scratching their heads.

To answer your questions:

The photo of the mounting rail is as is it now - no adapter

You will need some kind of gasket (tin can) no matter what you do, because of the difference in diameter.

I started (and ended up) following this thread very closely:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417/4

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 00:18:59

... although ... looking at your muffler guy's website, maybe I'll be eating my words! Would love to hear how you go  Smiley

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 08:15:13

I did an installation last night. I followed Serowbot's instructions with a couple exceptions. I placed both bolts in the rail and placed header on header pipe. The obvious angle issue. Like stated in instructions I made a lot of cuts to the muffler pipe but actually made more of them. I then tapped all the little pieces to the outside which virtually created the angle I was looking for. I slipped everything back into position and again taped the little strips up tight to the header pipe. I did use a piece of corrugated can as a spacer and a really heavy wide clamp but I slathered  muffler sealer on the inside and outside of the spacer. When I clamped it tight the sealer oozed out everywhere and I wiped up the excess and was done. I let it all sit overnight and have no leaks and all seems secure. Of course time will tell for how this holds up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:24:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.