Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter (Read 437 times)
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter
Reply #15 - 01/04/17 at 08:18:06

Picture of the install.

bike_007.jpg
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #16 - 01/04/17 at 09:24:19

I must have done something wrong, because I had a pretty easy time mounting my dyna.

Loosen the header bolts at the end to allow the header pipe to move around a little as needed.

Since the dyna  muffler doesn't slip on all the way to the stop ring, I cut the tail of the header pipe just enough to allow the muffler to hit the stop ring. I think I was able to cut on the section there the inner and outer pipe still come together, not on the part where the pipe swells and the two pipes separate.

Cut a few slots in the dyna inlet, not long enough to cause holes when the muffler is pushed up against the stop ring.

I wrapped a couple of layers of asbestos gasket material around the header pipe. Enough to fill the difference between the sloppy fit of the header pipe and muffler. It serves the same function as the soft gasket in the inlet of the stock muffler. I don't know if you can get this stuff anymore. I got it when I inherited stuff from my grandfather's garage. Thanks, Grandpa!

Use a really good t-bolt clamp the will clamp around the entire pipe joint. The wider the better.

Mount the muffler to the muffler bracket using only one bolt. Bend the stock muffler bracket as needed to line everything up.

Snug, but don't tighten the rail mounting bolt and the head clamp bolts at the head. Allow for some movement.

Tighten the t-bolt clamp. If the alignment between the header and the muffler is a little off, the slots cut in the muffler inlet will allow the inlet to bend a little as needed. Sock this clamp down hard.

Finish by tightening up the head clamp bolts and the muffler rail bolt. Stick a 4 in shield over the joint to hide it.

This method worked great for me. the muffler does blow a little soot on the rear brake lever, but so what. The muffler doesn't blow directly on the brake lever. Bending the stock mounting bracket on the bike helped with that.  I got a nice straight-looking line between the header and muffler without that droopy look caused by the angled adapter.

savage_bw.jpg
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 01/04/17 at 15:50:15

Both of those look good Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #18 - 01/04/17 at 15:51:16

Both of those look good Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #19 - 01/04/17 at 15:57:52

Can you give us any details of the install? It looks like it is the same length as a direct fit, without an adapter.

Was the header shortened? Is there an adapter? A gasket?

Just curious Smiley

MShipley wrote on 01/04/17 at 08:18:06:
Picture of the install.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #20 - 01/04/17 at 16:01:30

I think that asbestos wrap probably made the job a bit simpler!

Not much of that stuff around these days.

I ended up following the same install guide as you. Second time round it all seemed pretty simple really Smiley

Originally, I had it stuck in my head that I wanted both bolts connected on the rail - I got over that pretty quickly after trying to re-jet with exhaust leaks - ya live and learn I suppose  Cool

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/04/17 at 09:24:19:
I must have done something wrong, because I had a pretty easy time mounting my dyna.

Loosen the header bolts at the end to allow the header pipe to move around a little as needed.

Since the dyna  muffler doesn't slip on all the way to the stop ring, I cut the tail of the header pipe just enough to allow the muffler to hit the stop ring. I think I was able to cut on the section there the inner and outer pipe still come together, not on the part where the pipe swells and the two pipes separate.

Cut a few slots in the dyna inlet, not long enough to cause holes when the muffler is pushed up against the stop ring.

I wrapped a couple of layers of asbestos gasket material around the header pipe. Enough to fill the difference between the sloppy fit of the header pipe and muffler. It serves the same function as the soft gasket in the inlet of the stock muffler. I don't know if you can get this stuff anymore. I got it when I inherited stuff from my grandfather's garage. Thanks, Grandpa!

Use a really good t-bolt clamp the will clamp around the entire pipe joint. The wider the better.

Mount the muffler to the muffler bracket using only one bolt. Bend the stock muffler bracket as needed to line everything up.

Snug, but don't tighten the rail mounting bolt and the head clamp bolts at the head. Allow for some movement.

Tighten the t-bolt clamp. If the alignment between the header and the muffler is a little off, the slots cut in the muffler inlet will allow the inlet to bend a little as needed. Sock this clamp down hard.

Finish by tightening up the head clamp bolts and the muffler rail bolt. Stick a 4 in shield over the joint to hide it.

This method worked great for me. the muffler does blow a little soot on the rear brake lever, but so what. The muffler doesn't blow directly on the brake lever. Bending the stock mounting bracket on the bike helped with that.  I got a nice straight-looking line between the header and muffler without that droopy look caused by the angled adapter.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #21 - 01/04/17 at 16:07:08

I was tempted to hit it with some sealer. But, because I'm new to all this I wanted to avoid doing stuff that would be difficult to undo if I messed it up and had to revert to the stock setup (some of the comments in other threads by guys on here warned me off sealant and cement for that reason). I was also trying to avoid cutting the stock header if necessary. Parts are not so much available in Australia and shipping from the States is high.

I kind of went full circle on the install guide in the tech section. Had a go, messed it up, tried some other things, then went back to the guide and paid more attention to the details!

All seems good now and the bike runs and sounds great.

MShipley wrote on 01/04/17 at 08:15:13:
I did an installation last night. I followed Serowbot's instructions with a couple exceptions. I placed both bolts in the rail and placed header on header pipe. The obvious angle issue. Like stated in instructions I made a lot of cuts to the muffler pipe but actually made more of them. I then tapped all the little pieces to the outside which virtually created the angle I was looking for. I slipped everything back into position and again taped the little strips up tight to the header pipe. I did use a piece of corrugated can as a spacer and a really heavy wide clamp but I slathered  muffler sealer on the inside and outside of the spacer. When I clamped it tight the sealer oozed out everywhere and I wiped up the excess and was done. I let it all sit overnight and have no leaks and all seems secure. Of course time will tell for how this holds up.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 01/04/17 at 19:26:08

I just covered the header to Dyna joint with aluminum foil and high-temp silicone. The tin can didn't work for me. The foil is glued to the joint and the clamp squeezes it down around the joint for a leak free fit. Once clamped you can't see the foil. Looks very professional!  Grin

For the mount, I used a mending strip (http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Builders-Hardware-Mending-Plate...) to locate the Dyna correctly AND use 2 bolts to hold it on. Technically 4 bolts. 2 to hold the strip to the bike and 2 to mount the Dyna to the strip.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/05/17 at 05:24:19

I think the primary change I made was cutting the muffler mounting part into about 12 strips. this allowed me to use a hammer and tap all those little strips over to create the angle I wanted. The muffler I have says it is a 64941-01 but also said off a Sportster. It is a little longer than the shorty. I did take the front rubber washer out of the stock mounting space which provided a little more angle. So far so good.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 01/05/17 at 09:14:42

I use strips cut from soda cans, it is much thinner than soup or veggie cans, wrap the header end a couple of times, then tap the muffler in place with a soft hammer, and then tighten it down with a heavy steel bracket.
Part #31-2112 on www.vtwinmfg.com

Alignment is done with slightly loosened header bolts so the header/muffler can be moved with a little effort and header/muffler alignment is maintained.  Position the muffler as desired and then you can bend the mounting bracket a little to match one of the bolt holes with the muffler.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #25 - 01/05/17 at 22:32:43

This thread has been a real eye opener for me all this info that has never been elucidated despite all the dyna thread!

@IslandRoad said... Some Dyna's have two little welded bumps inside the pipe, which I assume key into the header on the Harley. You need to file or grind them down - however, I found out they are pinned so they opened up two holes in the inner pipe.

I don't understand this, the bumps are about 1 7/8" inside the pipe surely it doesn't slide on that far, or does it?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #26 - 01/06/17 at 11:16:06

Eau, I didn't measure the header when I had the muffler off, bit I took some pictures. This is the header.

IMG_20170107_061649.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #27 - 01/06/17 at 11:16:58

This is one of the little bumps in the Dyna muffler

IMG_20170107_061017.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #28 - 01/06/17 at 11:17:57

This is the connection with the bumps still there. You can see it pulls up short.

IMG_20170107_061144.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #29 - 01/06/17 at 11:21:03

I filed/ground off the bump and found it was actually a pin. It looked to me like this hole would allow the exhaust gases to leak into the space between the the inner and outer tube on the muffler. You can't see that in the photo, but on inspection I'm almost certain it would. I filled these holes with exhaust cement.
« Last Edit: 01/06/17 at 14:02:47 by IslandRoad »  

IMG_20170107_061101.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:21:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternative to angled Dyna muffler adapter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.