Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Help after a fall (Read 485 times)
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Help after a fall
01/03/17 at 17:26:40

Hey all, have been riding 3 months now (as some of you know) and had my first accident today and laid my '99 down.

Was a kind of perfect storm of issues...was driving in the city and got caught in a storm shower with no option to pull over and then a yellow taxi cut me up turning left from the far right lane. the combination of slippery road and an obstacle appearing in front of me was just too much...I squeezed the brakes to avoid hitting the cab and my old girl simply skidded, bucked and slid to a halt....the cab carried on driving.

Amazingly my bike seems to have survived without a scratch, I think to be honest it was me that took most of the impact, luckily we were only traveling really slow (approx 10-15mph) and by the time the bike fell sideways we were almost at a complete stop and the bike landed on top of me!

I am giving you this whole story as maybe it will aid if you do have a tip for the only 'issue' I did find. Once I got back home (the bike started right back up after pulling her to her wheels) when I was parking I noticed a little click click click noise. At first I thought maybe a fender had taken a bump and was lightly touching a tire...no, I pushed and pulled the bike around trying to find the source and i 'think' its coming from the belt.

I have inspected the belt thoroughly as I can (without removing it) and I can't see any issue with it but you can feel a slight vibration run through it as you push the bike at walking speed with a really quiet click, click, click kinda sound.

Looking for any ideas what it could be? Could it have been caused by the mild impact? Could it have been caused by running in super wet weather and be nothing to do with laying the bike down? Is it something completely different. Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated....everything seems to be running no worse than pre-accident....just wanna know I am not ignoring something that could be a bigger issue.

Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Help after a fall
Reply #1 - 01/03/17 at 18:30:05

People look at their cars more closely when they pick it up from the body shop after they a wreck than when they buy it.
Are you Sure it's a new sound or are you Really hunting for damage? The belt has tall cogs that engage the pulleys.
Is your belt a bit tight?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #2 - 01/03/17 at 18:41:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/03/17 at 18:30:05:
People look at their cars more closely when they pick it up from the body shop after they a wreck than when they buy it.
Are you Sure it's a new sound or are you Really hunting for damage? The belt has tall cogs that engage the pulleys.
Is your belt a bit tight?

This is so true brother, but this is definitely a new 'sound' I have ridden every day since passing my test and my routine is pretty much the same every day so I know that this sound is a newbie....whether it is nothing to worry about or not is another thing though.

I would say that my belt is on the tighter side.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 01/03/17 at 18:56:53

I'd check the front pulley and adjust the belt and make sure of the rear wheel alignment.
Such a low speed crash and You being the cushion the bike landed on, I don't know what the problem might be,

The speed you're rolling it and the cadence of the click would be something I would use as I puzzled through.

Put it in gear and gently rock it back and forth. If you hear that click, study the front pulley. That's a real hassle to fix if it gets much wear in it.

I can't hear it. The time between clicks, are they evenly spaced, same loudness,
I'm Trying to help, but I don't even have all the clues.

You can get a friend to roll it and you can listen.
Is it the same rolling bakkerds?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 01/03/17 at 19:00:51

If I push my bike out be fore starting it I always here some belt noise, that being said ,I would remove the guard from the front belt pulley and make sure that pulley has no play as that will cause wear on the splines of the output shaft ,damage that is costly to reverse.anything else is of relatively minor concern.You can jack the bike up ,rotate the rear wheel by hand and determine where the noise is coming from.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/03/17 at 19:05:58

It's possible the crash bent something or a wire popped outta place because of the tip over.

If you can only hear the sound while walking it with motor off, count your lucky stars. but that doesn't mean ignore it.

check the clearances around the belt, the bottom cover can be bent in to touch the belt.
pull all the covers off the belt one at a time and check for clicking.

WWW   IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #6 - 01/03/17 at 21:14:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/03/17 at 18:56:53:
I'd check the front pulley and adjust the belt and make sure of the rear wheel alignment.
Such a low speed crash and You being the cushion the bike landed on, I don't know what the problem might be,

The speed you're rolling it and the cadence of the click would be something I would use as I puzzled through.

Put it in gear and gently rock it back and forth. If you hear that click, study the front pulley. That's a real hassle to fix if it gets much wear in it.

I can't hear it. The time between clicks, are they evenly spaced, same loudness,
I'm Trying to help, but I don't even have all the clues.

You can get a friend to roll it and you can listen.
Is it the same rolling bakkerds?

Time between clicks is reasonably even spaced and similar loudness (its not a LOUD click, think a touch louder than a whisper) Yes the click is audible both forwards and backwards.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/03/17 at 21:40:05

JD

That sound like a possible wheel bearing problem.

Figure out how to raise the bike, one wheel at a time, and determine if it is coming from either wheel. If it is a wheel bearing someone on here can help you.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/03/17 at 23:26:02

A sidewalk and a friend..

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #9 - 01/04/17 at 05:04:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/03/17 at 23:26:02:
A sidewalk and a friend..

I live in New York City so plenty of sidewalks but I have no friends!! LOL

Only kidding but I really dont have any friends in the city that are into bikes or I would trust to understand the simplest of mechanical procedures.

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #10 - 01/04/17 at 05:07:35

Kenny G wrote on 01/03/17 at 21:40:05:
JD

That sound like a possible wheel bearing problem.

Figure out how to raise the bike, one wheel at a time, and determine if it is coming from either wheel. If it is a wheel bearing someone on here can help you.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Kenny G

I think you could be right Kenny, to be honest replacing the wheel bearings is something I have wanted to do anyways. I get a squeak from the front wheel especially on or after a damp day...bike is a '99 and has done almost 21,000 miles now...wouldnt suprise me if the current bearings are the originals.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/04/17 at 06:55:45

Look at the front brake disc and rear pulley to see if they got nicked or bent in the fall.

Look at the teeth in the belt and the teeth in the pulleys to see if you somehow got a stone lodged in one of the teeth.

If your front brake squeaks in damp weather....you most likely just need new pads.  The factory pads are known to squeak - get some EBC Organic pads as they work really well.

If/when you get ready to do wheel bearings......be sure to learn the easy way to get them out using an expanding anchor bolt that is made for use in construction.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #12 - 01/04/17 at 07:15:20

Dave wrote on 01/04/17 at 06:55:45:
Look at the front brake disc and rear pulley to see if they got nicked or bent in the fall.

Look at the teeth in the belt and the teeth in the pulleys to see if you somehow got a stone lodged in one of the teeth.

If your front brake squeaks in damp weather....you most likely just need new pads.  The factory pads are known to squeak - get some EBC Organic pads as they work really well.

If/when you get ready to do wheel bearings......be sure to learn the easy way to get them out using an expanding anchor bolt that is made for use in construction.

Just replaced the pads with some very basic BikeMaster pads a few weeks after purchase of the bike weeks ago Dave, had the little squeak prior to install and post in damp weather. Wasnt trying to cheap out on my brakes but they were the only ones I could get from my local store that fit the bike and the previous owner of the bike had let the pads run almost to the metal so needed a quick fix.

The squeak always dissapears within a mile or so of riding so I think it could be a  slightly seased bearing

Back to the clicking though, I rocked and walked the bike back and forth over and over this morning and I 'think' its coming from the front pulley. I havent had time to open up the casing yet but if you place your hand over the pulley cover you can feel a slight vibration through the casing when the clicking sounds. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 07:21:26

A noisy front pulley can be the trapped stone or debris....or could possibly be a loose pulley.

Let's hope the pulley is not loose, as that can eat up the splines and ruin the output shaft.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 07:22:23

Quote:
Back to the clicking though, I rocked and walked the bike back and forth over and over this morning and I 'think' its coming from the front pulley. I havent had time to open up the casing yet but if you place your hand over the pulley cover you can feel a slight vibration through the casing when the clicking sounds. Any ideas?

I took a quick look at the posts.
How OFTEN does it click?  

Once per revolution of the front pulley?  Could be loose on the shaft or have a rock/pebble imbedded.  Or maybe something internal to the transmission.  (Dave is just too fast for me....)

Once per cycle of the belt?  Could be a rock/pebble in the belt.

One per revolution of the rear wheel?  Could be a rock in the rear pulley or bearing problem in the rear.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help after a fall

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.