Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the difference...?? (Read 52 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
What's the difference...??
01/03/17 at 11:35:29

Refusing to bake a cake.
Refusing to serve you.
Refusing to sell to you.
Refusing to rent to you.
Refusing to to work/provide a service for you.
Refusing to allow others to speak.....

Please, looking for an explanation as to why it's not intolerant to refuse one person, and not another?
How is not performing at the inauguration based on a belief not the same as refusing any other person for the same reason?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What's the difference...??
Reply #1 - 01/03/17 at 12:42:55

The baker was being asked to enter into a contract that would make him a part of a celebration of a union that he couldn't do zin good conscience. It's a question of property rights and religious freedom and freedom of choice of association.

Declining to perform at an inauguration? Well, I don't know Why that wouldn't be just as horrible to those who thought the baker was wrong. . I don't see how the outrage that was expressed over the baker, who had so many good, legal reasons for denying to perform the request isn't being poured out on the bigots who refuse to perform at the inauguration. . .
They have a right to refuse to contract? Good question Ray.
I'm just waiting for the People who used to buy their music to stop. The Dixie Chicks got political and paid for it.
Taking a political stand alienates about half of the country.
I know there are movies I won't watch because of who is in them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 01/03/17 at 12:51:27

Jog, I really am not looking for everyone's own preference, and explanation, as to why.
I think we ALL are entitled to such, it really is a good thing, a diverse thing, that if honestly shared by both parties/view points, we can learn and grow in understandings and maybe be a little wiser as such.

Please folks, if anyone even replies  Grin
Just answer the question as posed, thanks!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/03/17 at 13:25:08

Perhaps the difference is that if you "hang your shingle" and do business to the public, you are held to a different standard than if you're an entertainer who is being solicited.

Not sure if that's the right interpretation, but I imagine it's along those lines....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/03/17 at 13:49:37

T And T Garage wrote on 01/03/17 at 13:25:08:
Perhaps the difference is that if you "hang your shingle" and do business to the public, you are held to a different standard than if you're an entertainer who is being solicited.

Not sure if that's the right interpretation, but I imagine it's along those lines....

Bingo... Cool

Also,... participation in a political event is a bit of an endorsement...
You can't be forced to participate...

Refusal based on race, sex, orientation, etc... are protected... not being an a$$hole...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 01/03/17 at 16:35:20

raydawg wrote on 01/03/17 at 11:35:29:
Refusing to bake a cake.   ........"

Refusing to bake a cake.

It was NOT,  ‘refusal to bake a cake’.
It was, Following a  belief, to not sell a cake, biased, on that persons, ‘beliefs/religion’.
(Which is, apparently, OK, for some believes, but not others)

Refusing to serve you.  / Refusing to sell to you.

Well, a Question, for a question.
What happens, when someone is hungry, and they are barefoot, and have No shirt on.  (Yes they have pants on)
They go into a restaurant,  (which has a Sign on the Door),
   “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service”    What happens?
Now, take it one step further, That person, has no shoes/shirt,
 BUT, they are wearing a headband, which says:  ‘I am a  xxxxx)
  (Fill in the X’s with your favorite, ‘more rights than other people’, people)
Now what happens?

Refusing to rent to you.

If it is biased on that persons ability to PAY, the rent, or to, NOT  Trash the place.
  Refuse, every day, every time.  (REGARDLESS, of race,color,creed,religion).    If a person, Can pay, and are refused as to: ‘race,color,creed,religion’.  There are Laws, and lawyers to get paid, to prove one side to the other.

Grey area, What does the Contract say, you signed, when you went to work for that person/company?

Refusing to allow others to speak…..

I Believe, their is, (in this Country), a amendment for that.
 Unless it can cause Harm,  ‘Fire’ in a crowded place,  ‘Hi to your friend Jack’,  on a airplane at 30,000ft. etc.

On all of these.  
A  LOT  more information, needs to he had.
 A  LOT !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 01/03/17 at 17:39:01

Serowbot wrote on 01/03/17 at 13:49:37:
T And T Garage wrote on 01/03/17 at 13:25:08:

Bingo... Cool

Also,... participation in a political event is a bit of an endorsement...
You can't be forced to participate...

Refusal based on race, sex, orientation, etc... are protected... not being an a$$hole...

Who is talking forced?

I am talking tolerance.
According to you because he won on the republican ticket as a white straight, etc, you can therefore excuse yourself.

I see nothing has changed from your perspective, well that sure has worked.....

So, if new laws are now passed, you will be 100% for their implementation, say, repeal the bathroom gender laws?

I mean, you hang a single out to serve people, then don't, its against the law, yes?
You honor it, or only those you care to?  

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 01/03/17 at 17:41:35

MnSpring wrote on 01/03/17 at 16:35:20:
raydawg wrote on 01/03/17 at 11:35:29:
Refusing to bake a cake.   ........"

Refusing to bake a cake.

It was NOT,  ‘refusal to bake a cake’.
It was, Following a  belief, to not sell a cake, biased, on that persons, ‘beliefs/religion’.
(Which is, apparently, OK, for some believes, but not others)

Refusing to serve you.  / Refusing to sell to you.

Well, a Question, for a question.
What happens, when someone is hungry, and they are barefoot, and have No shirt on.  (Yes they have pants on)
They go into a restaurant,  (which has a Sign on the Door),
   “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service”    What happens?
Now, take it one step further, That person, has no shoes/shirt,
 BUT, they are wearing a headband, which says:  ‘I am a  xxxxx)
  (Fill in the X’s with your favorite, ‘more rights than other people’, people)
Now what happens?

Refusing to rent to you.

If it is biased on that persons ability to PAY, the rent, or to, NOT  Trash the place.
  Refuse, every day, every time.  (REGARDLESS, of race,color,creed,religion).    If a person, Can pay, and are refused as to: ‘race,color,creed,religion’.  There are Laws, and lawyers to get paid, to prove one side to the other.

Grey area, What does the Contract say, you signed, when you went to work for that person/company?

Refusing to allow others to speak…..

I Believe, their is, (in this Country), a amendment for that.
 Unless it can cause Harm,  ‘Fire’ in a crowded place,  ‘Hi to your friend Jack’,  on a airplane at 30,000ft. etc.

On all of these.  
A  LOT  more information, needs to he had.
 A  LOT !

Not really, you can get more in detail if you like, and I am sure you can find a legit reason to not serve, etc....
But again, I was looking for a simple explanation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/03/17 at 18:42:03

And I pointed out how difficult it is to Find a simple and reasonable answer, and agreed that you've asked an interesting question. And you chided me for pointing out, once again, that the baker was within his rights. The question I have is, what do those entertainers base their Right of Refusal ON?
Then, as people, don't we All have a right to choose with whom we will associate and with whom we will contract?
What happens when laws are passed that take away our natural rights to Choose with whom we will contract?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 01/04/17 at 15:49:02

But again, I was looking for a simple explanation.
difficult it is to Find a simple and reasonable answer

Not possible.

Simple question:  “Refusing  Service”
Simple Answer:  ‘YES’.

How many, ‘what if’s’, are in that. How many ’Spins’ are in that. How many, ‘You Said, so You are…” in that ?

“Refusing  Service”
If a ’Sign’, is announcing, a refusal of service, on some term or another, Why is that not enough?
Can Anyone point to a example of a sign saying: “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service”, or the, Absence of a sign, saying: ‘we don’t  have/sell, xyz’ ?
Ever being challenged ?
That may be a bad business move, or not.  But it is the CHOICE, of that business!
(Unless it violates, a law, like,  (Oh, your skins is this color yes, or you skin is that color than, no”)

‘ as people, don’t we All have a right to choose with whom we will associate ‘ (with)
So, someone has a new gun, and they wish to show it off, will they go it at a  ‘gun club’, or with a gathering of like minded people, that they know. ?
Or will they show it to people, that have no interest in it. ?
(I use a gun as a example, like someone else, may show me, their new, ‘Jet-Ski’, which I could care less about, but their are many that would be pleased to see it, try it).  So, Why could I not do, what common sense dictates ?  

“What happens when laws are passed that take away our natural rights to Choose with whom we will contract?"
Someone get’s a Job, the job is drive a truck for delivery, which can contain, a Alcohol product, (Notified of this in the  CONTRACT, they Signed.)
But  refuse to drive such a truck, and get paid, BIG, money to  NOT drive that truck, even though, one signed a ‘CONTRACT’, saying they will drive that truck.
OR,  Someones belief is Not, to drive a Truck, containing a certain product, and that person says: “I cannot drive such a truck containing that item”.  And someone else says:  “You MUST,  sign the Contract to Drive that Truck”.    
Their IS, a Difference !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 12:27:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What's the difference...??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.