Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags (Read 245 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags
Reply #15 - 01/05/17 at 08:59:55

youzguyz wrote on 01/04/17 at 14:29:05:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/04/17 at 13:58:29:
youzguyz wrote on 01/04/17 at 12:33:18:
I like the look of smaller bags as well.
However, my motorcycle is my "honey dew" transportation.. so I need a bit more room.
Got some new bags for Christmas to replace my batterred Matuza hard bags.
Yeah.. I can carry that now.

Details, man, details.. I'm not going to be able to stay with the bags I have. They are Just big enough to carry cold/wet weather gear, and it's looking like my W650 is gonna be roadworthy this spring, so, I could hang the big bags on it.

Large Slant Bags on this page.
http://riverroadgear.com/luggage/spectrum-textile-saddlebags.html?___SID=U
Got mine on Amazon, but they show out of stock right now  Sad

JOG,

Just so you know, those River Road bags need a bit of mod for the Savage.  
They hang to low when you put the strap under the pillion, even on the shortest adjustment.  I punched some extra holes in them so they would lace up closer together.
The strap goes just in front of the bracket for the pillion.  If that is too far forward for you, then notch the strap for the bracket.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 01/05/17 at 10:14:56

Since we're sharing, here are the Viking bags hard mounted.  I made custom  mounting brackets out of steel flat bar and aluminum flat bar. Not an easy task and a lot of effort getting them dialed in just right and matching on both sides, along with relocating the rear turn signals, but it was worth it considering the finished product.

IMG_20160511_080557_2_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 01/05/17 at 10:47:16

Those look great!

They were on my shortlist for bags. I had a feeling they were going be tricky to mount. The bag companies throw around the phrase 'universal mounting bracket'  ... but I could tell from studying the pictures that the Viking bags would take some modification to fit. You did a great job there ☺

The main thing I noticed is on the later model s40, the centre bolt on the fender rail only screws in from the back, and I think it is further forward on the rail than later models. I thought about putting a bolt through the hole where the turn signals were after I moved them.

In the end I settled for smaller bags for ease of installation. Just requires some creative packing when I'm loading up  Smiley

stewmills wrote on 01/05/17 at 10:14:56:
Since we're sharing, here are the Viking bags hard mounted.  I made custom  mounting brackets out of steel flat bar and aluminum flat bar. Not an easy task and a lot of effort getting them dialed in just right and matching on both sides, along with relocating the rear turn signals, but it was worth it considering the finished product.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 01/05/17 at 11:29:21

IslandRoad, I like your final product and it looks nice!

You are spot on regarding the Viking "universal mount."  I knew going into it that their mounts wouldn't work despite chatting with a rep who referred me to their product telling me that it would, etc. I had already looked at YouTube and the mount specs and knew it was not compatible with the S40.  I still tried to use the rear turn signal hole as you mentioned to try and be creative and make their universal brackets work..and I am pretty creative...and no dice.  So, for anyone considering the Vikings know this in advance!  I am pleased with the product itself, just know going into it that for a sufficient and proper hard mount you will have to make brackets yourself.  Stock S40 brackets are too small and not well positioned for supporting the Vikings either.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 01/05/17 at 12:08:51

Those look good Stewy,Nice

Welcome back !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #20 - 01/05/17 at 12:56:58

Stew,

The way you mounted the Viking Bags makes them look like they belong on your bike.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #21 - 01/05/17 at 14:06:44

Ruttly wrote on 01/05/17 at 12:08:51:
Those look good Stewy,Nice

Welcome back !

Ha...I've been around  Wink   Had a couple of weeks off for the holidays and I pretty much avoid the computer at home (since I work on one all day at the office) so I haven't been here much while I was away from the office...and prior to that we were busy trying to close down for the holidays so I didn't have much play time early December.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/05/17 at 22:18:48

Very nice, I don't think saddlebags would suit my savage, I need some for my goldwing tho.

I'm a young biker trying to learn with little to no automotive experience.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #23 - 01/14/17 at 18:22:15

A while back someone asked me about my homemade saddlebag brackets. I had the rear wheel off tonight and grabbed this pic of the underside showing the brackets...so here it is FWIW.  

Smiley

IMG_20170114_175318.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #24 - 01/15/17 at 02:15:25

Thanks for the pic. Always interesting to see the possibilities. Your results are terrific!

stewmills wrote on 01/14/17 at 18:22:15:
A while back someone asked me about my homemade saddlebag brackets. I had the rear wheel off tonight and grabbed this pic of the underside showing the brackets...so here it is FWIW.  

Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:25:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.