Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags (Read 245 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags
12/31/16 at 02:22:27

The saddlebags I ordered arrived today. Along with  brackets I ordered separately, and didn't expect for another few days. So I got to install it all at once this afternoon.

I did alot of research before buying these so thought I'd share a photo and some info, in case anyone else is researching too.

There's not much available here in Australia so I ordered bags from the States. The bags were a reasonable price, shipping was about half the cost of the bags on top!

I ordered Suzuki OEM brackets from Amazon because as far as I could tell they were the only ones that would fit the 2014 S40 due to where the bolts are on the fender. The brackets sit toward the front of the fender and only reach about half way along the back of the bags. But they do the job. You can see the bracket near the shocker, but at least it's chrome and doesn't look out of place.

I moved the rear turn signals because they just limited the space too much and limited the options for bags, even though I wanted smallish bags to fit the light look of the S40.

The bags are Willie and Max Black Magic Slant Bags in the compact size.  They are not big but suit my purposes. I looked closely at a similar styled product by Viking bags (who seem to dominate the Google searches). The Viking bags are slightly larger and have a key lock which is kind of cool. However I couldn't go past the quality of the finish on the W&M bags. They look even better in real life!!

When I tied the throw-over strap together I joined them at a slight angle to get the bags to sit horizontally.  I used cable ties, running through little loops on the back of the bags to loosely attach them to the brackets. The ties don't need to be tight. I took the bike fire a run tonight and the bags travelled just fine. The strap sits just behind the rectifier under the seat. I had to put some weight on the seat to get it bolted back down.

I like them alot. I like how you can still see the full shocker. And there is plenty of room to access the bags. I have them slung pretty low, partly because the OEM brackets come a long way out from the bike and the bags sit best down there. And partly because I like that slung-over look anyway.

Overall I'm really happy with them.

Resized_20161231_203753.jpeg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 12/31/16 at 10:46:28

I like that size on this bike. I see too many bikes with oversized bags that look out of place. Looks great!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 12/31/16 at 13:10:09

Thanks Kris  Smiley

quote author=142D362C6F6E5F0 link=1483179748/0#1 date=1483209988]I like that size on this bike. I see too many bikes with oversized bags that look out of place. Looks great! [/quote]

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/31/16 at 20:22:52

Very nice.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 12/31/16 at 21:22:40

Cheers ☺

springman wrote on 12/31/16 at 20:22:52:
Very nice.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 01/01/17 at 08:00:26

The look good on there. You made a great selection of bag size and style.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 01/01/17 at 13:38:31

Thanks Steve  Smiley I'm really happy with them

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/04/17 at 12:33:18

I like the look of smaller bags as well.
However, my motorcycle is my "honey dew" transportation.. so I need a bit more room.
Got some new bags for Christmas to replace my batterred Matuza hard bags.
Yeah.. I can carry that now.

DSCF0573small.JPG

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 01/04/17 at 13:02:30

That's some serious carrying capacity!!

If I was doing long trips away regularly with bike I would have opted for bigger bags. But hey, it's summer hear, so I can throw a t-shirt, a pair of shorts and a toothbrush in the bags and head off for a couple of days  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/04/17 at 13:58:29

youzguyz wrote on 01/04/17 at 12:33:18:
However, my motorcycle is my "honey dew" transportation.. so I need a bit more room.

Details, man, details.. I'm not going to be able to stay with the bags I have. They are Just big enough to carry cold/wet weather gear, and it's looking like my W650 is gonna be roadworthy this spring, so, I could hang the big bags on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/04/17 at 14:29:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/04/17 at 13:58:29:
youzguyz wrote on 01/04/17 at 12:33:18:

Details, man, details.. I'm not going to be able to stay with the bags I have. They are Just big enough to carry cold/wet weather gear, and it's looking like my W650 is gonna be roadworthy this spring, so, I could hang the big bags on it.

Large Slant Bags on this page.
http://riverroadgear.com/luggage/spectrum-textile-saddlebags.html?___SID=U
Got mine on Amazon, but they show out of stock right now  Sad

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 01/04/17 at 14:45:55

Yeah, I keep hoping my Mutazu hard bags keep holding up.  Definitely not made well and I have them heavily reinforced with some sheet steel and rods.  But I really like the keyed lock and hinged lid.  I keep a lot of crap in them!

short_risers.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/04/17 at 19:48:32

Everyone dreads the day the locks fail and they come unhinged.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 21:18:30

IslandRoad

I like the way you got them clear of the shocks.   Mine have a bad spot from shock rub now.  I've tied them together at the rear (over the tail light / under the luggage rack) to keep them from shifting forward again.  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 21:27:31

I'd read on here that other people had mentioned them rubbing on the shocks, so I added it to my list of things to think about while researching products Smiley

MMRanch wrote on 01/04/17 at 21:18:30:
IslandRoad

I like the way you got them clear of the shocks.   Mine have a bad spot from shock rub now.  I've tied them together at the rear (over the tail light / under the luggage rack) to keep them from shifting forward again.  

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:16:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got my new Willie and Max Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.