Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GoPro Motorcycle Helmet Cameras (Read 90 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
GoPro Motorcycle Helmet Cameras
12/30/16 at 08:59:16

I've been curious about these gadgets from seeing so many YouTube vids of riders in action.
Is anybody here using them?
If so, I'd love to hear about personal experiences and general adivce in their usage.
And naturally I want to see some videos too!
so, anybody?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: GoPro Motorcycle Helmet Cameras
Reply #1 - 12/30/16 at 10:10:19

The only one on the forum I know has any GoPro experience is springman.

I have been watching the action cam issue for  a while - I think the price and features are getting to a point where I will buy something before too long.  The last few years of development appear to have made the cameras far more user friendly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 12/30/16 at 10:40:29

I guess my big reservation so far is the quality of the audio. The built in mic is no good for higher speed activities from what I have heard so far. For this you need an external mic which is an added expense and another potential mounting headache. And to make it more difficult I am reading that the newest crop of these devices no longer offer a dedicated audio input requiring you to need a USB mic. Now this may not sound like a big deal but from reading the comments on on shopping sites it's clearly a PITA to find USB mics that are compatible and supported by the cameras.

The other thing I don't get is the Bluetooth capabilities of these devices seems to be a joke. You can sync to an iPhone or other devices made by the same company but there's no support for comms or field recorders or anything for that matter. I'd think the point of having bluetooth is to be able to connect to other related gear regardless of make but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The wind cancellation feature on the newer units also appears to be a joke.
I want good sound. I want to hear my dyna muffler when I get on it not a bunch of garbled rumble and wind noise. And I don't want to deal with a bunch of adapters and USB compatibility issues to make it work. I do not have the time and patience for that.

It's all very tempting though. I think I'll take a ride to Guitar Center near my house today and have a gander at one of these things in person. Hopefully looking at one in a music shop I may glean some useful info about setting one up for good audio without much headaches.

This guy has the right idea but doesn't give details!
https://youtu.be/y4DoP-sl9_Y

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/30/16 at 11:40:01

Sound quality is a big issue and the internal microphone in any of the action cameras does a poor job because it is out in the wind stream, inside or out of its' waterproof case.  A decent external mic can be had for less than $20 on Amazon.  Most of the brands are made by the same Chinese company but they do the job.

Placement of the mic is critical and I wasted most of a riding season finding a place that suited me.  Anywhere in the wind doesn't work very well, even inside my front jacket pocket it picked up too much wind noise.  Behind the windshield it picked up too much valve train noise (on my Guzzi) and very little exhaust note.  I finally settled on clipping it to the bottom of my jacket, centered in the back and I got a nice exhaust note without the noise but while moving about I pulled it loose and it was eaten by the spokes on the rear wheel.  Now I clip it to the center belt loop on the back of my jeans and carefully arrange the wire inside my jacket and up to the camera with some slack so it won't pull out.  This way works fairly well but sometimes my jacket starts flapping a little and it picks that up, but it is good enough.

I've used more than one brand of camera and have had very good luck with the Gitup Git2 Pro.  Wide angle, adjusts to light changes quickly, can accept a 64 GB card, accurate color and everything is adjustable if you can figure out how to move through all the menus.  I bought mine during a flash sale for about $120.

The best tip I have is to buy a tiny little bubble level.  I attached one on the top of the camera with double sided tape and leave it there all the time.  It really helps in aiming the camera so that the horizon is level and evenly split in the middle of the image.  It is a lot of fun to review the videos later, especially in the winter.  I even bought some Sony video editing software and cut and splice and ad music to some of the footage.  It gives me something to do on long cold winter nights.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/30/16 at 13:59:59

As Dave said I do have a GoPro Hero3 that the kids gave me for Christmas about 3 years ago. I have to admit I have not played with it much but I did get some decent video when at the tail of the dragon last year. The thing I really do not like about this camera is that it does not have a playback screen so when you turn it on you are just hoping you have it aimed correctly. I believe many of the gopro clones have a screen included with them.

As far as sound goes all the taping I have done with the camera on the bike has been with the camera in the underwater case so the sound is there but it is muted. I did put a clip on youtube last year, it is called "chasing versy". If you want to take a look at it, it should still be on youtube.

I just went looking for it. It is actually called "chasing versy 3". I had the camera on the chest harness that time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/30/16 at 14:23:14

springman wrote on 04/12/16 at 09:07:28:
Here you go Gizzo. This is how it is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJsdOwq_fY

Enjoy it and live to tell about it.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 12/30/16 at 14:28:38

This guy is clever. He put the mic under the seat!
https://youtu.be/2q2J1CFKZFk
sounds good too!

Guitar Center was a mob scene - no help there. Burrrrr cold ride for nothing!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 12/30/16 at 14:50:02

Springman, I belive you can bluetooth it to your phone and see what it sees. Just clip your smartphone to the handle bars and viola!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 12/30/16 at 14:53:01

Phylthymike, some of the kids on the ninja channel use clip mikes under their helmet and have a flap that goes under the chin part to knock noise out so they can talk with no wind noise.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/30/16 at 14:56:36

Only reason I haven't purchased one of the Chinese Go Pro knock offs SJ4000 SJ5000, is because they do not have external mike plugs or capability.
They are really cheap and have close to Go Pro quality for about 1/8th the  cost.
After I get moved to my new work area, I plan to be doing some online youtubing stuff and will most likely buy one of the SJ's to see what the quality is and how to use one for videography.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/30/16 at 15:55:53

Thanks for the feedback oldrider. For the last 4 years until this month I had a cheap windows phone and it would not do anything with the gopro. I got an iphone this month and need to figure out how it might work with the gopro.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/31/16 at 05:41:41

I believe you download the go pro app

here is the go pro sight for "how to" on most of their camera's

https://gopro.com/support/articles/how-to-pair-the-camera-with-the-gopro-app

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/31/16 at 05:51:17

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 12/31/16 at 07:31:45

old_rider wrote on 12/30/16 at 14:53:01:
Phylthymike, some of the kids on the ninja channel use clip mikes under their helmet and have a flap that goes under the chin part to knock noise out so they can talk with no wind noise.

I've seen vids with something similar I think they called it motovlogging or something silly like that.
I don't think the world needs to hear what I have to say while riding in traffic  Wink

I'm going to check out some cheap knockoffs.
Here's an interesting example of using a dedicated field recorder just for the audio
https://youtu.be/kk6Dws0fvDk
He used a Zoom H4n

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:19:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › GoPro Motorcycle Helmet Cameras

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.