Send Topic Print
Riding Revelation (Read 265 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Riding Revelation
12/27/16 at 15:21:50

Like a lot members, I took advantage of the unusually warm December weather and got out for a few hours today. However, my cafe racer is still apart for paint so I got out on my FZ-6. My last ride of the year was my first ride on the FZ-6 this riding season. I enjoyed riding the cafe racer so much that I never took out the FZ.

The FZ is a nice bike. It's very smooth and comfortable. The damping rod forks on this bike have received the same treatment as the cafe racer. It has a UJM "sit up and beg" riding position too. That, coupled with the large gel seat gives this bike all day comfort. The seat sits high as well, so looking down the road even when following a van or pickup is not a problem. These are all great attributes, but after riding the cafe all year, all is not perfect in FZ land.

The FZ is heavy, 425 pounds heavy. After riding around on a 300 pound bike it just feels like a ton. The heavy steering doesn't make it feel any lighter. The power about 8,000 rpm is great, but just rolling on without a downshift or two doesn't produce much passing power.

My revelation today; I don't need or want this bike. If I did a lot of long distance riding or commuted via motorcycle this would be a great platform. But most of my riding is on local twisty roads, and the FZ isn't too impressive in this role.

So I'm gonna sell it - and use the proceeds to fund my next project. I've been wanting to build a street tracker based on a dirt bike/dual sport. A few months ago I saw a DR-z400 based tracker that has been haunting me. I have figured out how to recreate this bike and after riding the FZ I've decided that I'm going for it.

This is what I'm going to build...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Riding Revelation
Reply #1 - 12/27/16 at 18:01:28

Gary, After 8 views and no comments on your post, I'll tell you why. It's like: "Yeah, we've been there kid. No big deal." But it was a big deal. Some of us have forgotten our first twist on the smiley grip. It didn't slide us back fearful of falling off the seat or stand straight up like my first H1 and H2 Kawasakis in 1969 and 1972. It doesn't glide like my "new" 1981 GL 500 with Prolink air suspension.

It's a lot like the 1965 Honda 50 I rode as a new rider at age 12. Calm, capable, solid, and friendly. But nothing to be ashamed of against a Harley 883, when needed. And tough as a bag of hammers.

After 19,000 miles on an '01, yeah, I know. We all know. And we appreciate being reminded by your post. Be safe. Boofer  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 12/27/16 at 19:50:55

I had a wet dream and that was the bike !  Grin

Gary , just make dam sure you post that build on SS !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/28/16 at 03:48:05

Boofer wrote on 12/27/16 at 18:01:28:
Gary, After 8 views and no comments on your post, I'll tell you why.

I am most likely one of the 8 that did not comment.  I tried to look last night - but the darn internet was so busy my coal fired home computer got choked on the photo....it cranked for several minutes and couldn't load the photo - so I shut the darn thing off and watched Nova on the telly.

That is a really cool looking bike....and it will be a great project.  Our Savage is a cool bike and very fun to ride and wrestle - it doesn't have the power or handling that more modern machines can provide.....and having a wheel size that provides the ability to use state of the art modern tires and compounds would sure be nice.

The HP of the DRZ400 has a couple more HP than the LS650 in stock form (33.4 vs 31 HP) -  the torque is considerably less (25.6 vs  37 lb/ft.).  I think you are not going to feel the grunt that the Savage can provide - there are companies that provide cams, big bore kits, stroker cranks, reworked heads and big valves......you can throw a lot of money at these engines!

I believe it would end up being a very nice handling, fun to ride and easy to toss around bike....go for it!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 12/28/16 at 07:14:51

Pretty cool! Hard to believe that was once a DR

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 12/28/16 at 10:06:22

Dave , Who who makes stroker cranks for Savage and head with bigger valves , who , do tell !!! Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 12/28/16 at 10:17:15

Who makes that crazy yellow air filter ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/28/16 at 10:22:40

Ruttly wrote on 12/28/16 at 10:06:22:
Dave , Who who makes stroker cranks for Savage and head with bigger valves , who , do tell !!! Shocked

https://procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html

And I believe the quad LTZ400 has the same basic engine, and you can use hop up engine parts.  (Check to be sure).

https://bpracingatv.com/product-category/suzuki/ltzdrz-400/

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 12/28/16 at 12:01:57

Dave , LTZ is a different beast & water cooled & different bump stick

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/28/16 at 12:08:12

Ruttly wrote on 12/28/16 at 12:01:57:
Dave , LTZ is a different beast & water cooled & different bump stick

The DRZ is water cooled......same as the LTZ.

Look at the listings.....they claim this stuff fits both the DRZ and LTZ.

https://bpracingatv.com/product/ltz400-94mm-470cc-big-bore-stroker-motor-rebuild
-kit/

https://bpracingatv.com/product/yamaha-yfz-450r-race-ported-and-polished-cylinde
r-head-copy/

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/28/16 at 12:20:56

Gary, I do not have the skills for your undertaking. Just the thought of making that bike makes me jealous. Please post photos, I really want to see this build. That bike is beautiful.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 12/28/16 at 19:14:34

This is the only motorcycle board that I actively participate, so you'll be stuck with a build thread. I have an eye on a donner bike now and if it all checks out I'm on my way.

I've been in contact with the builder of the above bike. It was crafted in Australia. He said with the exception of the radiator mounts and seat pan, that it was a straight forward build. He has offered to make me a replication of the radiator mounts and seat pan.

I've identified the tank. It's off a 1978 DS 185. A decent one went on eBay the other day. Right now there is only a high-priced NOS and a rat tank. I'll wait for the right unit.

Dave, as much as I would like to use modern rubber, that bike was built with 19 inch hoops. The tire choices for 19 inch wheels is much worse than 18 inch. But those 19's look oh so good. I'll make that decision later.

Also, stock that bike is only 275 pounds. After modification it should be closer to 250. I'm sure that 30 to 40 hp will be plenty. That was kind of the point of my first post (sorry Boofer, I didn't get your reply at all); I prefer light weight to high HP. It's well aligned with how and where I ride.

Anybody want to buy an FZ-6?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 12/28/16 at 19:18:49

Ruttly wrote on 12/28/16 at 10:17:15:
Who makes that crazy yellow air filter ?

Uni-Filter

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 12/28/16 at 19:22:32

LTZ and DR-z use the same engine. The Kawasaki KLX400 is the exact same bike as the Suzuki DR-z400. The Kawasaki is made by Suzuki. The KLX is a real oddball...and that's why I'll probably pick one of those up - there's no love for the KLX.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 12/28/16 at 21:04:11

Gary , Depending on the type of tire you want on your tracker choices are somewhat limited. Your right the 19s look dam nice but not much selection to find a front & rear in proper sizes , unless you use flat track racing tires.
I have 18s on my RYCA tracker still very limited selection. I wish I had used 17s , now you find nice supermoto type tires, but then again I think 17s  are too small. The tracker needs same size rims front & rear to achieve its racing appearance. Kinda like the tires in that pic.
Some bikes are very cool but The Tracker Rules !!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:28:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding Revelation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.