Well this sucks..... (Read 88 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Well this sucks.....
12/27/16 at 10:15:43

Hopped the ferry yesterday to go get a new TV....
My son came home for Christmas, and he is a techno wiz in electronics, so, mom and I took advantage of that.
What a zoo, people everywhere, arg....
I love living on a island  Grin

Bought a 65 inch something that had all that"stuff" that I will never understand, but hey, the 3D movies are too cool 😋

He had to program the Bose sound bar according to where you sit to watch the TV, crazy stuff, but the sound just engulfs you.
What I noticed right away was I was able to discern the whispers, soft sounds, from the main noise/talk....
It really is cool.

Anyway, after a day in town we return home to find our house flooding.
The kitchen was soaked, water everywhere...
I quickly determined the brand new reefer was the cause....
I though maybe the hose to the ice maker ruptured, pulled it away from the wall, nope.
Looked inside the freezer, water gushed out...
The ice maker was squirting a stream of water, Wtf???
I turned off the supply valve.
Water flooded all the lower shelving below the freezer and leaked out the door seal.
I went downstairs to get the shop vac and water had flooded that level too, dang it!
The water was coming through the light fixture in my computer and photographing room, arg!
Took about 4 hours to get it cleaned up.

Waiting to hear from the adjuster now, but we really dodged more damage.
Computer, camera, etc, were not damaged.
I think I will get by with just a new ceiling, but what a pain in the azz.

My son hooked up all the new TV stuff and we watch Jurassic Park in 3D, pretty darn cool.

However, it is becoming readily apparent I am quickly becoming a buggy whip as this new world is leaving me behind.
I remember having to get my butt up off the couch to turn the channel or adjust the TV volume.

Now, you just tell it what to do.
You can say, Find me a fishing show" and it will....mercy.

I don't think I will ever catch up to this world anymore  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Well this sucks.....
Reply #1 - 12/27/16 at 11:38:51

That is awful....sorry.

We had a washing machine hose break in our old house.  Luckily it was down in the basement - and we had leaky basement walls so we never put anything on the floor and everything was on shelves....so nothing was damaged.  When we built the new house we installed a valve that allows us to turn off the water supply after you are done washing - and it also has supply hoses with little valves that can sense when a hose breaks and it shuts off the flow.

I never thought about how a malfunctioning ice maker could screw up a house (we do shut off our water supply to the house when we leave go away for a day or more).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 12/27/16 at 12:15:32

Dave wrote on 12/27/16 at 11:38:51:
That is awful....sorry.

We had a washing machine hose break in our old house.  Luckily it was down in the basement - and we had leaky basement walls so we never put anything on the floor and everything was on shelves....so nothing was damaged.  When we built the new house we installed a valve that allows us to turn off the water supply after you are done washing - and it also has supply hoses with little valves that can sense when a hose breaks and it shuts off the flow.

I never thought about how a malfunctioning ice maker could screw up a house (we do shut off our water supply to the house when we leave go away for a day or more).

Thanks Dave, it really is more a nuisance than anything else.
My kitchen floor is porcelain tile I installed over Christmas break a few years ago.
So that survived.
My downstairs is a "daylight basement", so its all slab.
And I pulled the carpet from that floor years ago and stained the concrete, so no damage there  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 12/27/16 at 14:06:26

Welcome to the joys of home ownership....Ain't it grand ??? Roll Eyes

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/27/16 at 15:02:56

+1 on your post, Dave.

Last summer, one day before leaving on vacation, the water heater started leaking. Managed to get new one installed in time so vaca wasn't delayed, but got me thinking "what if??"

Now we turn off the water to the whole house if we're gone overnight.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 12/27/16 at 18:29:01

Raydawg, I'm with you on not liking the new stuff. I think the problem is everything is changing so fast the lemmings have no time to adjust. They just buy it--good or not. And reliability is awful.

Lancer just sent me a text, and I have no idea what it means. I do know my $15 TracFone can't show it on the screen. If it's something I could watch. You guys just go on without me. I just need a little rest. I'll just sit here a minute.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/27/16 at 20:05:51

I got a text too from lancer, but not from a number I know is his.
A lot of spam and spoofing out there.
Don't click on any link from a number you don't know and can't confirm.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 12/27/16 at 21:09:31

I think the texts has something to do with a video/audio type call system that my son sent me and I was trying to activate it.  I thought I had just sent a message to my wife but apparently it sent it to everyone on my phone list.
Just disregard it if you want, no biggie.
Sorry for the hassle guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:25:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Well this sucks.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.