Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mounting hard bags over rear shock springs (Read 60 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Mounting hard bags over rear shock springs
12/23/16 at 12:42:43

I am mounting a set of hard mounted bags over my rear shock springs on my Barcalounger.   I expect to see some "loaded bag deflection" when going over bumps and I am seeking some actual knowledge of folks who have done this sort of situation before.  

How far out from the springs should I space the bags ???    Opinions ??

I seem to swing from no offset (let it rest lightly against the springs for constant alignment support) to 1/4" to 3/8" to only allow occasional contact during bumps.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Mounting hard bags over rear shock springs
Reply #1 - 12/23/16 at 14:14:06

Are you mounting hard or soft saddle bags?

For soft saddle bags, I would leave a 3/8" to 1/2" gap.

For hard saddle bags, you need to make sure that the shocks will not come into contact with the bags when compressed.
I found out the hard way and the shock was starting to wear a spot in the left saddle bag from it rubbing on compression. Mind you, they were cheap Mutazu plastic saddle bags.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/23/16 at 14:31:59

They are "semi-hard" bags made up of fake leather viewing exterior with a polyethylene hard "inside toward the springs" wear surface.

I foresee a 3/8" offset naturally deflecting over time to partial constant engagement.  

If I set it up at a continuous light contact I fear having it turn quickly in the direction of simple wear through.

I guess I am thinking once I see some attempted wear through I would drop in a 1/8"thick  sheet aluminum wear surface that could be renewed as needed.  

Your point about spring squat making the spring diameter grow is a good one .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/23/16 at 22:22:51

Hay ?  

What about some "Gliding" Material between the Bag and Shock ?   Maybe fastened (zip-tied)  to the top of the shock ?

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/24/16 at 14:26:13

12Bravo wrote on 12/23/16 at 14:14:06:
Are you mounting hard or soft saddle bags?

For soft saddle bags, I would leave a 3/8" to 1/2" gap.

For hard saddle bags, you need to make sure that the shocks will not come into contact with the bags when compressed.
I found out the hard way and the shock was starting to wear a spot in the left saddle bag from it rubbing on compression. Mind you, they were cheap Mutazu plastic saddle bags.

Ditto that.  They should not be allowed to contact the shock at any time.  I did the same thing to my Mutazu bags, and some throw over bags.
If possible, you need to put a "dummy bag" where the real bags will be going, then take it out and bounce the bejeeze out of it so you see where it will touch the shock.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:26:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mounting hard bags over rear shock springs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.