Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Probably good that I don't use the rear brake (Read 454 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Probably good that I don't use the rear brake
Reply #30 - 12/25/16 at 10:33:07

using rear brake on motorcycle

Loads of information there.
And YOUR tire, YOUR brake, The road, how much front brake is applied already, so many variables..
Tires only have so much resistance to sliding. If you're using
98% of the tires ability to stick with the brake and then expect it to stay stuck to the road when you lean over and add lateral G forces, you're probably gonna be unhappy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #31 - 12/25/16 at 11:25:51

Dave wrote on 12/25/16 at 06:06:47:
The rear brake on my stock Savage was very toucy....it was hard to modulate (the ST100 was similar), and it locked up very easily.  The Savage now that it is converted to a Cafe' bike is far less sensitive and much easier to apply smoothly.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that there is a rear brake on my bike?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 12/25/16 at 11:28:57

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/25/16 at 11:25:51:
Dave wrote on 12/25/16 at 06:06:47:
The rear brake on my stock Savage was very toucy....it was hard to modulate (the ST100 was similar), and it locked up very easily.  The Savage now that it is converted to a Cafe' bike is far less sensitive and much easier to apply smoothly.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that there is a rear brake on my bike?

You know... that pedal that makes the rear end go sideways.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 12/25/16 at 20:16:42

My original comment wasn't meant to say you have to use your rear brake for general riding.  But, you absolutely need a rear brake during a panic stop.  It reduces stopping distance, plays an important role in keeping the bike straight and allows you to use the front brake more aggressively.

I haven't had an issue with my brake locking up while cornering, but I'm use to stronger brakes on dirt surface.  So modulation on pavement isn't an issue for.  Plus, I'm not racing my Savage.

The only time I locked up the rear wheel on this bike was when someone pulled a U-turn on me and I almost ended up in the bed of his pickup.  If I didn't have a rear brake I'm sure I would have hit that jackass.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 12/25/16 at 20:25:48

Also my bike skills are more from motocross where you spend a lot of time crashing, almost crashing and generally riding near the edge of control.   I've hit the ground many times and saved it even more times.  I'm just saying don't underestimate what the rear brake adds to the big picture.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 12/25/16 at 21:19:29

That's the way I have the most fun is riding , on the edge of control. But one can not ride that way all the time and stay out of jail or the hospital ! Me as well cross country,enduro,marathons,hare scrambles,short track,M/C where the rear brakes get a workout.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 12/27/16 at 05:00:42

Everyone - One thing I wanted to mention, and it really applies to Armen and his open brake approach - is that after washing the bike your really need to take it out for a ride and dry out the brake.  The bike leans to the left when on the kick stand, and the rear brake will hold a small amount of water inside the drum.  If you don't take the bike out for a ride and dry this water out - rust will form on the steel brake wearing surface.  Then the next time you ride the rust will be worn off by the brakes shoes....and the rust will be embedded into the brake shoe lining (I believe this is what can make the rear brake "grabby" and also cause the brake to squeal when it is applied).  Wash the bike, dry it off, then go for a 10 minute or longer ride to get the water out of the brakes, electrical connections, of the top of the cylinder, etc.

Ruttly - I agree that spirited riding is a blast.....and I agree that you cannot ride at your 100% limit all the time - you have to keep some reserve for those unexpected situations.  It certainly is one of the reasons that you can buy so many used parts for sport bikes on eBay....a larger percentage of them end up being crashed.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 12/27/16 at 06:47:55

Funny, because I ride very conservatively on the road.  I figure we are about to get killed just by being out there.  Besides, if I wanted to ride like that I would have never bought a Savage in the first place.  

But back on the topic of the Armen's brakes.  I think it's really cool that he's shaving weight and build what should prove to be a very unique Savage.  I'm looking forward to seeing the what else he has up his sleeve.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #38 - 12/27/16 at 07:58:53

Dave , I agree , but doesn't get any funner than sliding a bike thru the turns. I am now regret not deraking my tracker , but is still a super stable back roads blaster,very road worthy. I learned how to slide on polished pavement in a abandoned warehouse that we had a short track setup in , what fun !!
Moto , Trust me Armen will meet his goals on that bike and there won't be another one like it , time will tell !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #39 - 12/27/16 at 08:42:39

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the positive comments. As always, I can think faster than I can work, so the project is moving along slowly.
Off course it doesn't help when I do stuff like spend a bunch of time rebuilding the caliper and drilling the disc, then buy RYCA Shawn's brake kit. Now, off with the old, on with the new, and try to sell the original stuff to make some room....

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #40 - 01/02/17 at 09:20:40

The only mod I did to the rear brake was I drilled a new hole in backing plate where the lever return spring anchors to keep a little tension on lever all the time. The RYCA set up for rear brake left it loose and rattling , so it got redrilled , put some grey silicone in old hole , now spring doesn't rattle and rear brake returns much better !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:15:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Probably good that I don't use the rear brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.