Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Probably good that I don't use the rear brake (Read 454 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Probably good that I don't use the rear brake
Reply #15 - 12/23/16 at 10:39:29

I feel ohiomoto may be correct. Despite it's tendency to lock up, the rear brake is 30 or so per cent important.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/23/16 at 10:52:36

A grinder removing shoe material will change that tendency to lock up. The 05 would lock up before I could feel feedback from the pedal before I cut slots across and tapered the ends of the shoes. The 02 works well and predictably without modification. I finish stopping with the rear only. I've seen the front lock on sand at a stop sign. I was standing up with the bike between my feet. Both brakes are your friend.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 12/23/16 at 12:04:27

Armen, you can do JOG's mod while it's all disassembled.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #18 - 12/23/16 at 13:30:01

Use to road race Yamaha SR 500 and SRX600 highly modified  for race only. Pocono, Loudon, Summit Point. Never used the rear brake .  Did, however use the rear brake to set up corner entry angle to correct a mistake.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 12/23/16 at 15:45:26

jcstokes wrote on 12/23/16 at 10:39:29:
I feel ohiomoto may be correct. Despite it's tendency to lock up, the rear brake is 30 or so per cent important.

Sometimes using the rear brake for a bit of oversteer can be beneficial.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #20 - 12/23/16 at 15:54:53

I def use the rear brake, just not that much.
When I had the hub apart, I wiped off the parting lines and polished up the outside. I scuffed up the brake drum liner with pretty aggressive sandpaper to help the new shoes bed in. Replaced the stock shoes with EBC ones.
Hoping for good results.

On the subject of locking up the rear-a few observations:
Old nasty shoes don't help the situation.
A cheap and/or old tire is WAY more likely to skid/lock up.
Crappy and/or worn out shocks make the rear wheel more likely to lose connection with the ground.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #21 - 12/23/16 at 15:55:54

Hotrod,
Do you remember a guy named David Goldstein racing an SR500 in AHRMA? Won the SOS Senior championship in '93.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 12/23/16 at 20:13:35

I understand everyone's concerns about the rear brake and in a panic stop I would most likely use it. It's a matter of how one rides , used to be a training thing that has become a habit , some don't feel ok with it but I like only using front binder seems you get better at braking that way and less fearful on it!
Most racing associations require a operational rear brake !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #23 - 12/23/16 at 21:41:32

Armen; No, I raced AAMRR, in the late 70's ,  then WERA, and AMA up until 1994. When I found out I didn't bounce anymore, but broke like cheap glass, it was time to go. The only thing I'm fast with now is beer.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 12/23/16 at 22:34:48

Hotrod , I don't buy that,you have racers blood, most people that ride won't dare race,racers are by a long shot different than those that don't !  
There are way better riders than me that don't/won't race? Stupid,no,lack of fear,no,dying,no, it's competing against others,track & yourself,we all grow old , but don't tell me what's left of the racer in you is in a beer can.
Be proud that you did it , you are still a racer ! I no longer race either but I can't turn it off , I drive by a track everyday and want to go race.,even if I know winning wasn't going to happen it would be just to get the pre race jitters & adrenaline rush of when they drop the flag, RACERS  BLOOD !
Then have that beer !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #25 - 12/24/16 at 03:37:09

Ruttly :  You're right, and explained it well.  Was just joking a bit. The track and the street are two different worlds.  Two different reasons for using the rear brake.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 12/24/16 at 11:46:01

Hotrod, I know you were kidding. Just helping you remember who you are.
When I raced it was off road where you seldom get on pavement and always used rear brake ,racing on dirt requires a rear brake , but my riding on the street I just don't use it much. You must have a outstanding front brake to start with !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #27 - 12/24/16 at 19:06:51

Although  I would not have worked on the rear brake as Armen did, I do admire the craftsmanship and time involved  in such a project.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 12/25/16 at 00:47:38

Yeah , he has the sickness I often talk about and most of us are inflicted with ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 12/25/16 at 06:06:47

The rear brake topic is one that could potentially be as controversial as "countersteering" or choosing the "best" motor oil!

Beginning riders are often intimidated by the front brake, and can rely on the rear brake to do all the work (and some custom bikes remove the front brake entirely).

As you become a better rider and learn how to modulate the front and rear brakes to work in unison - your ability to control the bike is far improved and you can stop much faster than you could when you only used the front brake.  Most likley you have had an incident or two with using too much front or rear brake, and have learned how to identify areas with gravel, wet pavement, leaves, manholes, and traffic markers that can affect your traction and braking ability.

When you move to advance riding/braking situations.....you discover that you can brake really hard and slow down so quickly that there is almost no weight on the rear wheel....and the rear brake can lock up easily.  You also learn that some braking can be done while entering or setting up for a corner - but a sliding tire in that situation is never a good thing, and most often it is the rear brake that creates the "Oh Crap" scenario when panic braking or entering a corner.

In very aggressive riding/racing...the front brake does all the work and advanced riders use little or no rear brake.  I have several friends who are have been road racers and they claim that they seldom use the rear brake on the track.  As my riding has progressed I find that when riding aggressively I have started to use the rear brake less and less, and if I use a bit too much.....it can get scary really fast when the rear tires slides - what was a controlled situation suddenly turns into a "survival" scenario.  I have read a book written about riding quickly.....and the author discusses the techniques for using the rear brake, and he does support that not using the rear brake is an advanced riding style to be used when riding "quickly".

The rear brake on my stock Savage was very touchy....it was hard to modulate (the ST1100 was similar), and it locked up very easily.  The Savage now that it is converted to a Cafe' bike is far less sensitive and much easier to apply smoothly.

« Last Edit: 12/25/16 at 12:06:07 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:23:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Probably good that I don't use the rear brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.