Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Great ride today!! (Read 74 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Great ride today!!
12/22/16 at 15:11:57

I am somewhat new here as I purchased my Suzuki (used 2011 w/6K miles) about 1 month ago.

I live in western South Carolina (called the Upstate) and used to often take 150 to 200 mile rides up towards North Carolina (about 25 miles to border) or just ride around the back roads of SC just to see where they go.  I had moved here from Ohio about 3 years ago.

My ride today on my Suzuki was GREAT.  I only went about 50 miles, but the bike ran great, and the weather was clear and relatively warm.  I had come from the BMW airhead world (had over a period of 30 years 3 of them - all old and used each time) and my latest ride was just getting too heavy for me (I'm 67 with a lot of miles, too!!).  I sold it, and purchased this Suzuki.  After today's ride, I told my wife after she had asked me how my ride went, that if this bike remains this reliable, and easy to handle, it may be my most favorite bike I have ever had!  That's saying something as I started in 1965 with a Honda and went through many brands and sizes!

I hope this continues as I will be riding it up into NC and on the Blue Ridge Parkway and hopefully many other places as well!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Great ride today!!
Reply #1 - 12/22/16 at 15:19:35

Good for you, I was about 61 when I brought mine. I'm 67 also and haven't stopped enjoying, even if I'm still a long way from a 50 thousand mile thingy in Serowbot's gallery.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/22/16 at 17:42:14

Glad to hear from a new member.  I like the S40 for the same reasons as you, light weight but decent power and torque.  I might need your advice this winter because I am working on an old airhead and plan to do at least a partial tear down of the engine.  This forum has some very experienced people who know the Savage inside and out.  I've learned a lot about this bike and motorcycles in general by reading this forum.  The tech section is very useful and they even have an index of topics.  Also, there are excellent photos of a complete tear down that can be very helpful.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/22/16 at 19:02:48

Ride? Today?  Tongue

I ain't jealous! No sir! Not one bit! Not me!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 12/23/16 at 04:45:02

engineer wrote on 12/22/16 at 17:42:14:
Glad to hear from a new member.  I like the S40 for the same reasons as you, light weight but decent power and torque.  I might need your advice this winter because I am working on an old airhead and plan to do at least a partial tear down of the engine.

Let me know if you want any info about the airheads.  I completely rebuilt a 1968 R50, and then partially rebuilt a 1974 R90.  Sold both of them when my two kids were little.  I rode the 900 everyday to work, and would have about 2 close calls a week by non-attentive auto drivers.  I didn't want my kids to grow up without a dad!  Wished I hadn't sold them.  Bought the R100 (1978) and only had to "update" it as it had been neglected, but engine was very good with relatively few miles.  Sold it about 2 months ago, and a couple of weeks later bought the Suzuki.  I like the Suzuki better if it turns out to be reliable and trouble free.  Lots lighter, plenty of power for me, and quite enjoyable to ride for pleasure riding!

I have literally dozens of articles from authoritative sources about nearly every aspect of the airheads.  Holler if you want them!

Jim

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 12/23/16 at 13:34:07

hard to ride in 6" of snow!
Hey!, I'm an airhead, what do you know about me? Grin Grin

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #6 - 12/23/16 at 14:13:09

zipidachimp wrote on 12/23/16 at 13:34:07:
hard to ride in 6" of snow!
Hey!, I'm an airhead, what do you know about me? Grin Grin

At least I know that you must have a lot of air in that head of yours!!! Grin

Merry Christmas!!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 12/23/16 at 15:41:09

YES!!! I went riding today for the first time in about 3 weeks! I've been waaay too busy to think of anything mc related. It's nice to be back in the saddle again!!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 12/24/16 at 06:06:52

Kris01 wrote on 12/23/16 at 15:41:09:
YES!!! I went riding today for the first time in about 3 weeks! I've been waaay too busy to think of anything mc related. It's nice to be back in the saddle again!!

I finally got some warmer clothing, so I plan on riding more in the colder weather.  Here in SC, cold seems colder than Ohio, but at least there is little chance of snow!

I will probably take a short 50 mile ride today, and then on Monday, maybe longer!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:21:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Great ride today!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.