LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
The "Challenger" event.
12/20/16 at 15:07:40

After looking at the U-tube videos of the engine with glass in the head, which enabled viewing actual combustion processes.  It was very interesting.

So after watching those I went on looking at other things and came across a video of a detailed analysis of the tragedy of that day in 1985.  It has been viewed 2.5 mil. times but I had not seen or heard of it before.  It is almost 30 minutes long and I found it to be amazingly, sorrowfully, and deeply moving to be able to see and hear what actually took place in a mere 73 seconds after take-off.  If you have not seen this I suggest you look at it.  It all happened so quickly that for the crew aboard I don't think they had more than a very few seconds to realize that something was going wrong, and I don't think they had time or the data to realize they were going to meet God that day.
It is sobering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmSdVbgQ4M

Another interesting video, with a statement by an astronaut who is a MD, stating that there was evidence the the crew, or at least some of them, may have survived until the crew cabin it the water at over 200 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcd_3daPQ8

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: The "Challenger" event.
Reply #1 - 12/20/16 at 18:57:41

I remember the day well. I was home sick from school that day.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 12/20/16 at 19:31:45

So was I Kris. How weird is that.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/20/16 at 19:39:04

Haha! How strange! Maybe it was an epidemic.  Grin

I remember the on-screen emotionless voice droning on about something technical not realizing what had just happened.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 12/20/16 at 20:18:19

I was up on a double scaffold laying block on a Fire Station 130 miles south of the Cape. The laborers started to yell and point up in the sky, I looked up and saw the boosters circling around and knew instantly what it was, but didn't want to believe it....
 A decade later 4 of us were in a Cessna 172 about 4500 feet above the north bridge over the Intercostal Waterway in Melbourne at 12:25 one night and got to watch the Challenger take-off in a night launch from just 15 miles away from the pad. About the coolest thing I ever saw!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/20/16 at 21:08:46

I'm surprised the FAA allowed private planes that close.
Would've really liked to be there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/21/16 at 04:37:39

I was in the military (Navy) at the time and pretty much everything came to a stop to watch the TV.   It was a stunning event, especially since so many of the astronauts were active military.
It felt so odd to me since I was also active military when the Shuttle made its first flight.  That was another day when much of the military paused to watch history being made.  Pride was HUGE that !
Those 2 days are burned onto my mind, similar to 9-11.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 12/21/16 at 07:08:00

I was in middle school then. I remember the science teacher announcing what had happened and then putting on the TV for us to watch the news. The principal announced a moment of silence for the entire school and that changing classes was suspended for the rest of the day. We spent the rest of the day in the science room with the science teacher talking to us about the incident and answering our questions about it. The school nurse and some other front office people came around to see if we were coping alright.

I felt terrible for the astronauts. I remember when the "what's this button for" Christa McAuliffe jokes started not long after and almost getting into fights with the people making the jokes.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/21/16 at 18:07:55

badwolf wrote on 12/20/16 at 20:18:19:
got to watch the Challenger take-off in a night launch from just 15 miles away from the pad. About the coolest thing I ever saw!

That would've been an amazing night!

I was probably 1000-1500 ft. over Nashville on the 4th of July and got to watch fireworks come up at us. They were trying to shoot us down!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › The "Challenger" event.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.