Send Topic Print
I'm back!!! (Read 103 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
I'm back!!!
12/19/16 at 10:08:07

I'm back... I know, it's been a long time, and I dropped off here kinda suddenly. Like many things, there's reasons for all that...

The main reason for my disappearance was that on Sept 14, 2015, I very nearly got dead while riding my much loved 87 Savage. Two lane blacktop road, 55mph, and a Chevy pickup decided to make a left turn with me a bare 100 feet in front of him. To say it didn't go so well for me is an understatement.

After a month in the hostpital, and another two months in and out for more surgeries, I was more or less on the mend by January 2016. That's when the legal stuff really got kicking over but good.

Found out that having titanium plates in your body and cold weather suck.

Then been dealing with my parents getting older and slowing down and needing help, my little brother getting married, my grandmother passed away, and then we're in September and it's been a year since my wreck.

I celebrated by getting back on two wheels, borrowed a scoot from a riding buddy and we rode from his house to the spot I got hit. I went out and stepped on it, then we climbed back on and rode away.

Since I was now determined to get back on two wheels, I started looking for a bike. Made a barn find. A 1982 Honda Goldwing with 23K miles. Needs a fair amount of work, msotly due to sitting a lot over the last 35 years. More or less a restoration project there.

Anywho, my wife was still lamenting the loss of the blue Savage, as she really liked it. Not too big, not too heavy, and while it had plenty of power, it didn't scare her. Well, I found another one last week and brought it home over the weekend.

We now have, in the garage, a cherry 2003 Savage with 18K miles. Bone stock. Stock intake. Stock jets. Stock muffler. Gotta pop the clutch cover and check the grenade pin, and the head plug leaks. But, she starts right up, and my wife is still grinning two days later.  Grin

So, it's been crazy, and I'm glad to be back!

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: I'm back!!!
Reply #1 - 12/19/16 at 10:15:53

Glad you are still happy to ride.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/19/16 at 12:04:09

Great to hear you survived the accident.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/19/16 at 12:34:06

Back in the saddle again... ride safe... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #4 - 12/19/16 at 12:47:36

Thanks, and yeah, it took a while to decide if I was going to ride again. You don't know how you'll react until you've been there, done that. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/19/16 at 14:17:24

Wow

I hope she lets you borrow the bike sometimes .

Maybe we'll see ya on one of our rides this year ?

Congratulations on getting back into the saddle !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/19/16 at 16:33:28

I completely appreciate your situation dude, almost 6 years ago ... wow, time fly's... I left the road on my Sportster and hit a hole at 50 mph and ended up with a broken back in a few places, broken rids, and a whole lot of internal bruising.  At the 6th month point in my recovery, still wearing a body brace, I went on a Dragon Ride; and yes, I was riding slowly and CAREFULLY.  In all, it took more than a year to recover to something near normal.  So I definitely FEEL for you dude.
WELCOME BACK and especially to be back in the saddle.  
Wink

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 12/19/16 at 17:31:53

What's the saying about "hair of the dog that bit ya"? Glad you made it back on 2 wheels. Ride safe!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #8 - 12/20/16 at 05:34:26

Thanks everyone, yeah, it was not a decision I made quickly... but in the end, I can't imagine not riding ever again. Some people question my sanity, but those perople don't understand motorcycles anyways. For them, no explanation is possible. For you guys, and other motorcycle people, no explanation is necessary.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 12/20/16 at 06:35:34

Well Put !
Even if I only get a half hour to ride , I ride !
Therapy , it heals your soul when your out blasting down some back road !
Welcome back !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 12/20/16 at 18:45:01

koehlerrk wrote on 12/20/16 at 05:34:26:
For them, no explanation is possible. For you guys, and other motorcycle people, no explanation is necessary.

Amen! My mc is my therapy and my sanity!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 12/20/16 at 18:57:13

Don't know you because I'm new here but I'm sure glad you made it through. You stared something really scary in the face and walked away to talk about it. had a few of those myself back in my dirt biking days.

Keep on rolling man!  Cool

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 12/21/16 at 14:07:16

All the best, mate, and good to hear you made it through. Thump on!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/23/16 at 07:03:34

Glad you're still with us! Best wishes for a happy and safe 2017!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:33:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › I'm back!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.