Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
11000 mile service cost? (Read 193 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: 11000 mile service cost?
Reply #15 - 12/20/16 at 09:16:38

I took the bike in for the 11,000 mile service mostly because of the engine and frame bolt re-torquing. I don't have a torque wrench or the patience/time to do it right. The mechanic explained he has to torque the head bolts then wait a few hours and check the torque again a few times over to get it right. I don't have that kind of time on my hands. I also liked that the chassis was getting lubed where needed and all movement checked against the specs. And I didn't want ot have to adjust the valves if it was necessary. It's been 20 years since I wrenched on a bike's engine and I'm trying to take it slow with getting back into it again.
Considering I bought the bike used from somebody who didn't maintain it properly I figured it would be good to get a baseline from here forwards and have some idea of what needs attention and in what order.
The mechanic was thorough and gave me a good education about my bike and it's future needs. that alone was worth the money for me.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/20/16 at 09:22:07

Kenny G wrote on 12/20/16 at 09:14:58:
Verslagen,

If possible, please show us how you did pin for the tank.

Kenny G

same as the seat pins, drill out threads, shove in pin.
This bike has the HD seat, so no seat lift.
grip is about 7/8"

Oh, I had to take out the spacer that runs thru it, the pin is Ĝ 1/4" and the ID of the spacer is 6mm.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/20/16 at 09:42:19

You're getting raped.
Nobody, NOBODY, messes with the head bolts. Nobody has problems because of it. The number of diagnosed
Head gasket problems
That ARE head gasket problems is about 1%. It's nearly always the head plug.

Check the valves, look at the cam chain adjuster. Ride.
Get a Versy on the way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 12/20/16 at 10:01:09

Jog, in addition to the head plug leak, there is a leak from the head bolts that maybe due to not torquing the head bolts.
or not annealing the copper washers when it's done.
not sure.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/20/16 at 10:27:08

Well, I only had one.. And it went 20,000 fun miles. The. Oring at the clutch shaft/engine cover leaked. Some Few do have leaks. The washers and head plug seems to be the most common, but a Blown head gasket is quite rare, but not so rarely the Professional Mechanics diagnosis.
Just saying, be careful. Don't fix what ain't broke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #20 - 12/20/16 at 10:38:04

Verslagen,

Pins to hold the tank on is another good idea.

Kenny G

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #21 - 12/20/16 at 12:14:20

@verslagen1, I did the valves a few days ago and my back is killing me from the bizarre contortions I had to twist myself into in order to finagle the feeler gauges past the cunningly devised visual and physical obstacles. I would be nice if suzukisavage forum could publish the a photo of the designer of this part of the engine so I can make up a voodoo doll and stick a pin in it every time I need to adjust the valves, especially the rear ones. The motion pro tool made it a little easier.

I think part of the problem for me is that I have to double and triple check it. After I had them adjusted I rattled the rockers to try and get a feel for what correct adjustment feels like. I'm sure that's how they did in on Fred Fintsone's car.

Coincidentally my previous LS650 had the easiest to adjust tappets that was possible.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 12/21/16 at 03:20:10

We have had nearly zero blown head gaskets, and this collective forum has developed an opinion that re-torquing the head isn't necessary.

We have had several bikes that have developed small oil leaks when the oil "seeps" around in the layers off the head gasket.  A passage at the right rear of the cylinder barrel supplies pressurized oil to the head, and that oil can creep between the layers of the head gasket and come out at the studs under the intake and exhaust port.  Would re-torquing the head prevent/stop that...I dunno?

Also we have had several engines leak oil at the left front cylinder head washer.....the space around this stud has a passage for the oil to drain from the head back down to the crankcase.  And we had one member whose right rear cylinder stud began to leak oil from the cam housing above....the nut and copper washer is in the cam housing and is exposed to the oil in the head, and if the copper washer doesn't seal it can drip oil out onto the head in the hollow space that goes through the right side of the head from the exhaust port back through the head.

If you have to take the head cover off to fix something like a leaky head plug, you need to re-seal the head cover to the head to fix a leak, or you are doing work to the cam or rockers - you might want to re-torque the head/cylinder studs.  You need to remove the nut and copper washer, clean the area well, use a new copper washer or anneal and smooth the old one, apply a small amount of sealer to the bottom of the washer on the left front and right rear washers, apply never seize to the studs and nut.....then re-torque the head.  I don't believe it is necessary to come back later and re-torque them.....once is enough as the torque value will not be the same once the fastener stops moving (static friction has to be overcome).

Re-torquing the head may help to stop the oil weeping around in the head gasket layers - maybe. Huh    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #23 - 12/21/16 at 06:58:53

What is the method for annealing the copper washers? Does it involve a torch?
Can someone please explain this?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/21/16 at 07:07:41

You clean the grease/oil off he washers, then heat them with a torch to a dull/dark red, and let them cool.  You will then have to clean off the oxidation that occurs from the heating process.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:32:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 11000 mile service cost?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.