Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker? (Read 422 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker
Reply #30 - 12/20/16 at 18:54:51

Everybody here is aiding my decision in a very much appreciated way. All the input and points of view have been valuable so far and I thank you all.

I'll look over these links. Thanks!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #31 - 01/23/17 at 08:00:02

Saw this for sale and thought of this thread.

https://zzrbikes.com/threads/85367-For-Sale-2005-ZZR1200-(ZX1200C)

2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200. $5250 for a bike that is in absolutely pristine condition from what I can tell. 15k miles is nothing for this bikes. I did about that much the first year that I owned mine. I ended up with almost 50k without doing much more than changing the oil, tires, and the chain (once).

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #32 - 01/23/17 at 09:51:48

That looks like a great bike. And not too far away either. thanks for the look out.

Last weekend I tried to go test ride a Buell Ulysses but the bike sold before my turn to see it.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 01/23/17 at 13:24:48

The ZZR1200 is supposed to be the fastest carburated street bike ever made......10 second 1/4 miles time.....YIKES!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #34 - 01/23/17 at 13:49:49

Dave wrote on 01/23/17 at 13:24:48:
The ZZR1200 is supposed to be the fastest carburated street bike ever made......10 second 1/4 miles time.....YIKES!

By very skilled riders but yes, the bike can do it. Smiley

(I'm not one of those riders)

I know that people (especially on here) like to bash the high power bikes a little...why do you need to go so fast...you're only going to kill yourself...I like my 30hp thumper...etc. It's nice to be able to cruise at 80mph for hours when you live in the middle of the great plains and you want to get somewhere fun to ride your motorcycle. The 6.1 gallon gas tank also doesn't hurt.  Grin

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #35 - 01/23/17 at 14:35:46

All of the mods I have done to my S40 have hugely improved it's highway driving capabilities. The shocks, extra HP, brighter headlight etc. make the experience much better than it was. High winds and pass-blast are still fatiguing on long runs as well as the constant wrangling with other surface uglies like grooves, joints and pavement seams. And the fuel range leaves alot to be desired still. At least now I can commute to work with it just fine. Despite the improvements I don't see myself attempting to ride this bike to my brother's in the Catskills or my cousin's on Long Island from here. I might take it to the beach this summer but there's a definite limit to how far I want to go on the superslab with it still.
Around town and on the back roads it kicks butt and takes names. Its great for running errands too.

But when I really hit the road for extended trips I want a flying carpet ride.  Cool

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #36 - 03/23/17 at 10:12:27

Exciting! I'm going to test drive a 2001 Buell m2 Cyclone this Saturday!
It has aftermarket exhaust and air filter, Corbin seat and saddlebags. Custom paint job. 18,000 mi. reasonable price.

The more I read about this machine the more I like it. Doesn't have that scrunched-up riding position like the Blast and the XB lineup. Reviewers praise it for it's comfort during long rides too.

The Ullyses got onto my radar and I investigated it somewhat. It looked promising but none to be had in my price range nearby so I gave up. Then this Cyclone showed up in a search and I looked into it and I think it looks like a very interesting option per my criteria.
I'm happy for the chance to try one out.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #37 - 03/26/17 at 09:05:19

So I liked the Buell in every way except the transmission. That and this particular specimen needed work.
It was very comfortable to ride but will need a windscreen and there isn't really enough space on the handlebars to mount one.

So next on the list is the Ducati Hyperstrada. Trying to setup a test ride for Tuesday or Wednesday.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 03/29/17 at 06:25:20

This may not be the bike of your dreams - but it is a perfect example of how cheap you can get really nice sport touring bikes.  It is not cutting edge - but it likely can provide 100,000 miles of riding for not much money.  It is a2005 Kawasaki Concours for $ 2,850.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Kawasaki-CONCOURS-121457749/?zmc=paa...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #39 - 03/29/17 at 08:59:43

Dave wrote on 03/29/17 at 06:25:20:
This may not be the bike of your dreams - but it is a perfect example of how cheap you can get really nice sport touring bikes.  It is not cutting edge - but it likely can provide 100,000 miles of riding for not much money.  It is a2005 Kawasaki Concours for $ 2,850.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Kawasaki-CONCOURS-121457749/?zmc=paa...

The Connie looks like a great bike. Found an excellent review here..
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=574.0
And there's a few for sale locally that a very reasonable.

She's a bit on the heavy side for me at 600+ lbs. After my sand slide incident recently I've decided to limit myself wieght-wise. I want a heavier bike than my LS650 but I don't want one that's too heavy so I am trying to keep my search to a 500 lbs limit now with my ideal being 100 lbs more than the S40.

I'm going to test out the Hyperstrada after work today. It has some impressive specs - 450 lbs wet, 5.9" of travel front and rear, 2 large brembos up front, 110 HP with a beautful torque curve, allegedly exceptional handling and a reportedly effective windscreen. I love the saddlebags on it and the option for a rear trunk too.
I'm concerned with the riding position. Many reports say there's little room for moving around but since that sort of stuff is highly subjective I need to ride it myself.
I'm intrigued by the riding modes feature too. I like that I can limit the bike to 75% of it's max HP in "Urban Mode". That's great for me to start with until I get used to having all of that engine.
She's a bit pricey for me but still under the max. And I have 3 Ducati dealerships in my region too so no cross country trip if I need to get it serviced for issues beyond my abilities.

And if this bike doesn't work out for me for some reason I'm actually starting to consider the ugly duckling Vstroms. If I put a bag over her head the Vstrom really does add up for me numbers-wise. If I get one of these beakers I will have to learn to ride all over again after poking my eyeballs out  Grin

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #40 - 03/30/17 at 07:31:13

After work tonight I am going back to the dealership and taking the Ducati home with me. The Hyperstrada seduced me  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 03/30/17 at 08:27:11

Tramp..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #42 - 03/30/17 at 08:56:56

The Hyperstrada is a great bike - and completely unlike the Yamaha Stryker.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #43 - 03/30/17 at 10:13:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/30/17 at 08:27:11:
Tramp..

guilty as charged  Embarrassed

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #44 - 03/30/17 at 10:14:43

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/30/17 at 08:56:56:
The Hyperstrada is a great bike - and completely unlike the Yamaha Stryker.

really? I find them remarkably similar. two wheels, two cylinders...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:29:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.