Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker? (Read 422 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker
Reply #15 - 12/19/16 at 11:03:35

If you want a bike that can take you on the highway in comfort, is affordable, and you have a 31" inseam....and a bit of weight isn't scary - you should consider a sport touring bike.  The Honda ST1100 or ST1300 are great bikes.....although they are a bit heavy and tall for my 170 pound, 30" inseam.  The Kawasaki Concours are great bikes..the newer ones are bigger, the older ones lighter.  The Yamaha FJR is a good bike.  (All of those 1,000+ cc bikes can blow a lot of heat on you if you end up sitting on them while stuck in traffic on a hot summer day).   Unfortunately the small sport touring market is not all that well developed - it used to be the handled by the Honda Pacific Coast, and then they made a NT700 and I just bought a used one and I love it....Honda has now replaced that with a feet forward Honda CTX which is a bit too new to be found cheap on the used market.

The Kawasaki Vulcan S is also a really good bike - it looks like a Cruiser but has the soul (engine) from a sport bike.

Oldfeller just bought a great used Suzuki VS800 Intruder.....we will find out more about it this summer.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1479149386/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #16 - 12/19/16 at 11:09:52

How about something more on the sport-touring side like a Kawasaki Concours? I've seen some crazy low prices on these recently.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5925049490.html

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #17 - 12/19/16 at 11:12:12

Apparently I should have refreshed before posting. Smiley

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #18 - 12/19/16 at 11:16:04

Dave wrote on 12/19/16 at 11:03:35:
Unfortunately the small sport touring market is not all that well developed  

That's because it wasn't worth trying to compete against the VFR. Smiley

I think the adventuring touring segment has replaced sport touring as the go-to recently. Unfortunately most of the small, comfortable, sporty bikes have mostly gone naked...which reduces a lot of the touring options. That said, some of the adventure bike options seem really good if you don't mind how they look. Given that Mike doesn't like the vstrom, I'm assuming that rules out the others in the class.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 12/19/16 at 11:40:07

These are all interesting options. That Gunner sure is a looker if a bit impractical for me.
The FJR is pretty interesting.
I don't have anything against the adventure touring bikes. In principal they have alot of virtues as per my needs.
The Vstrom has that beak though  Undecided wtf Suzuki?

This is interesting regarding the Concourse
Quote:
the most practical, useful and competent motorcycle made
According to  Motorcyclist magazine. Curious...

The VS800 Intruder does look like quite a catch. I was tempted by the Marauder - M50 for awhile because they are so affordable. Then I noticed that pretty much all of the used ones for sale had mileage just short of their 11,000 mile maintenance. But the reviews on them is also a mixed bag. Seems to be one of those love/hate type machines and frankly I'm not sure about a drum brake on a bike so heavy  Undecided

I think I'll do some homework on the Sport Touring style.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #20 - 12/19/16 at 11:47:35

Dave wrote on 12/19/16 at 11:03:35:
The Kawasaki Vulcan S is also a really good bike - it looks like a Cruiser but has the soul (engine) from a sport bike.

That's the thing I was admiring a few months back while riding down the highway. It was thick traffic but moving along and I got stuck behind this guy with a bike that looked really neat at the time. I couldn't make out the badges on it. I liked the look and the apparent handling of it observing the person's riding. I was wondering if it was a custom bike but I'm pretty sure it was this Vulcan S now that I'm looking at pictures of one.
I was hoping to ride next to the fella to take a better look but I was forced to pass him instead because the lane really got going after I switched into it.

Hmmmm... I remember thinking that his bike looked like a great highway machine.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 12/19/16 at 18:03:45

BSTON wrote on 12/19/16 at 11:12:12:
Apparently I should have refreshed before posting. Smiley

No problem in providing a second opinion.

I was tempted by the Kawasaki Concours.  The riders leans a bit forward which was fine with me - but I wanted a bike my wife could ride with me, and the passenger seat just didn't look comfortable for a woman in her 60's.  

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #22 - 12/19/16 at 18:23:54

I'm reading up on the sport adventure bikes now. And they are looking closer to my ideal on the surface. The DL1000 prior to 2013 doesn't have that silly beak on it and it is fairly reasonably priced on the used market.
It's less than 500 lbs surprisingly. Other models in the class are very interesting too, especially the KTM. A bit high in price though....
The Triumph isn't too bad price-wise but again I'm concerned with maintenance costs.
Hmmmm.... this looks fun too
https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

https://youtu.be/SyIwO_w3FfM

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 12/20/16 at 03:56:52

As long as you are not in a hurry, and buy smart......you can buy a used motorcycle and ride it for a year to two, and then sell it and get something else.   This gives you a great way to ride and experience bikes without it costing very much.

You do have to watch for a bargain, and get a bike that does not need expensive repairs, and one that sells well on the used market.  There are a lot of motorcycles that have been purchased......and the owners found out that they are not riders - and the bikes don't get ridden and the owners finally decide it will be smart to get rid of it. Since they aren't looking to get another bike they can't trade them in on anything....and often they just want to get rid of it and sell it cheap.  Other times the owners need to move, lost their job, are getting a divorce, etc - and they have to sell the bike in a hurry.

Craigslist is a good source of used bikes, and you can use the Tempest Search to look of a particular model in areas that are nearby - but not on your local Craigslist.  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 12/20/16 at 04:18:04

philthymike wrote on 12/19/16 at 18:23:54:
I'm reading up on the sport adventure bikes now. And they are looking closer to my ideal on the surface. The DL1000 prior to 2013 doesn't have that silly beak on it and it is fairly reasonably priced on the used market.

If the height is not an issue, the adv segment is fantastic.  If you are looking for something to take primarily on the slab, you will need 1K.  Just a couple of other options to consider -  Versys 1k, Super Tenere, V Strom 1K, and even the FJ-09.  I have a V Strom 650 and it is as good as 650cc can get; however, for exclusive use on the interstate you will probably be better off going bigger.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 12/20/16 at 08:07:43

pg wrote on 12/20/16 at 04:18:04:
philthymike wrote on 12/19/16 at 18:23:54:

If the height is not an issue, the adv segment is fantastic.  If you are looking for something to take primarily on the slab, you will need 1K.  Just a couple of other options to consider -  Versys 1k, Super Tenere, V Strom 1K, and even the FJ-09.  I have a V Strom 650 and it is as good as 650cc can get; however, for exclusive use on the interstate you will probably be better off going bigger.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2i7v9xt.jpg

Best regards,

I agree with 1000cc or higher. I briefly rode a Ninja 1100 on a secondary road with highway speed limit with a passenger and when it became necessary to pass 9 cages at once I was able to do it with no problems and then duck back into my lane and slow to normal speed with ease. Not that I enjoyed riding the thing but as an example of what is occasionally necessary riding the roads around here.
I've taken my better half's Vstar 650 on the highway a few times and it does considerably better than my S40 at those speeds but it definitely cannot do what that Ninja could. It doesn't have the escape speed required to get away from the aggressive road raging kamikaze cagers in these parts.

I do search craigslist daily if only to look at pictures of bikes. There's a nice Russian military Ural with sidecar on there now I'd give my left testicle for just for the coolness factor.  Cheesy
There's also a Vstrom 1K, Honda ST1100, Kawasaki Vulcan S, Kawasaki Concours, several Suzuki M series and a handful of other interesting things. If I can make time for it I might try to go look at a few of these and possibly test ride them.

Concerning the Sport Adventure class it does have some appeal in that I started out on dirt bikes. I got my 1st (1982 XR80) when I was 11 years old and kept riding in the dirt until my mid 20s. It might be a good feeling to be able to hit some trails and such once again.
Also something that can handle off-road will probably be better on the streets of Philly too. Calling streets in this town paved is going too far.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #26 - 12/20/16 at 08:40:39

pg wrote on 12/20/16 at 04:18:04:
 If you are looking for something to take primarily on the slab, you will need 1K.

I disagree. The motor layout and even manufacturer can make a big difference on speed and smoothness on the interstate. Look at my two bikes. I have a Savage café and a Ninja 650. Both are obviously 650cc. The Ninja can comfortably cruise at 75mph and still have plenty of power to pass. The Savage is struggling at that speed. A lot of that is because of the inherent differences between how power is made with a single vs a parallel twin. The same goes with other twins and parallel layouts.

Just test ride as many bikes as you can. I'm surprised how many dealers let you take test rides now vs when I first started riding.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 12/20/16 at 10:55:17

My Honda NT700 has plenty of power for 2 up riding, and it can comfortably cruise at 70 or 75 mph - beyond that and I begin to feel I am asking a bit much from the little V-twin.

It most likely won't pass 9 cars at a time - I am OK with that.  At 5'-8" and 170 pounds, I find that the 1,000 cc and up Sport Touring bikes bikes are just a bit too bulky for me to own and ride (same things for Adventure Touring bike).  I have no problem on them when my butt is in the seat and my feet are on the pegs...they are a joy to ride.  My issue shows up when stopping on uneven ground, gravel and wet pavement when loaded and I have a passenger on the back.  That really tests my limits for keeping the bike and gear and passenger upright.  I have ridden large V-Twin Cruisers and Sport Bikes - the lower seat heights make them a bit easier to get my feet planted - but they are not the style of bike that I find appealing.  (My current obsession is Cafe' and Sport Touring bikes).

« Last Edit: 12/20/16 at 12:02:53 by Dave »  

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 12/20/16 at 12:22:30

The Honda NT700 is a nice bike. I had a friend who rode one from L.A. to the Philly suburbs one time. I think that says something about its highway usability.
I'm 6' 200 lbs and pretty muscular (former Navy) so I don't find the bigger bikes too taxing up to a limit. I'm not sure what that limit is currently so yeah I need to try out more bikes.

Just out of curiosity I test drove a Buell Blast 500 a few weeks ago. I just wanted to try another thumper. I was much too big and heavy for it. Fun little thing though for a smaller person.

It's true the dealerships seem eager to let people ride stuff now. Every time I go to one they ask if I want to go for a test ride. I suspect it's a ploy to run your credit though.

I guess the liter rule isn't carved in stone. Perhaps a HP range is more better?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #29 - 12/20/16 at 12:34:02

Perhaps this will aid you in your decision.  

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

http://cycle-ergo.com/

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012MayDL650.pdf

Subscribe to mcn and you can go back digitally and look at all the data for numerous models like the one I posted.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:30:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.