Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker? (Read 422 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker?
12/16/16 at 14:17:18

I've heard a few good mentions of this bike from people who know people who own one. I was wondering if there might be somebody with some direct experience here to shine some light on it?

My reason for wanting to know is that I am considering potential next bikes for myself after riding my S40 for another year or so. It wouldn't be a replacement though, I'll never sell little Thumpy.
But I can see a time when I'm going to want to possibly do longer trips and two-up riding or just want to enjoy something more thrilling to ride.

I am in process of hot-rodding the engine on my S40 but it's more with the frame of mind that I don't want to be caught in situations where I cannot pass a big rig in time to avoid becoming a SUV sandwich. I've had two scary experiences where I couldn't speed up or slow down fast enough to get out of trouble and somehow managed to come out alive by a hair. So, some more engine and more brakes are in order to meet the demands of my riding environment. Not looking to turn Thumpy into a drag racer.

Yet I don't feel ready to take on a heavier bike right now. I have 1000 miles riding Thumpy so far and love the light weight. I think another 2000 miles down the trail I'll consider a heavier and more powerful machine.
I've driven a Ninja 1100 and while it's light, very thrilling and surprisingly smooth it's not my thing.

A few things have caught my eyes and the Stryker is looking pretty interesting. I'd love to hear more about it from folks who know it. Anybody?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker
Reply #1 - 12/16/16 at 15:14:01

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 12/16/16 at 16:02:41

With those pipes, front wheel and all the blackout, I think it looks remarkably ugly.

I also don't like the pictures of the 2017 S40. Again, too much blackout.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 12/16/16 at 16:31:29

Mike

Looks nice don't it !  Cool

But

Let me ask ya about that 650 # thing ?

My sportster only weight 560 # and going from it to the Savage is like jumping on a pony after getting off a horse !    Roll Eyes    Oh yea , the Sportster gets as good or better mpg than the Savage.  Cool

Remember : Yahama quits making parts for machines after 10 years ...  Undecided   ,  not to wise to buy one of them.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/17/16 at 08:06:46

1,300 CCs? Why?
If it's down, can you get it up and not need a chiropractor?
Sub forty MPG, bikes use expensive tires,
I was never attracted to physically large bikes, but, that's just me. The stats I've seen showed that the big bike riders fell less often, but the falls were more severe. Is this prof of
The bigger they are, the harder they fall?

I'd be hunting a physically smaller and lighter bike that will do what you want.

I looked, forums exist.
All the
Buy me pictures
None with a passenger. Seat looks like she better be light , because THAT is gonna jack the handling up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 12/17/16 at 09:03:08

These are all good points and i will think about them.
the blackout look is becoming quite the cliche I suppose. I don't see why you can't paint the stuff you don't want chrome on the same color as the bike. I intend to do this with Thumpy.

The weight is a concern. I've gone and sat on a Sportster 883 and a 1200 and was shocked by the weight of them. Very top heavy feel but that was standing still. I'm sure it's much different in motion.
One reason I'm even considering the Yammy is because my other half has a Vstar 650 that feels lighter than Thumpy even though its actually heavier. The way Yamaha managed to balance the center of gravity is magical on it so I was thinking the Stryker would be a similar feel. A lot of weight you don't immediately notice.

It's a bit of a conundrum to pick a bigger bike in light of a souped-up S40. The engine mods will take its performance up to the ballpark of a typical 800 cruiser but with half the weight. SO it seems pointless to me to bother with the 800CC class with it's guaranteed 500~ lbs.
the next logical step seems to be the 1000~ CC class.
For awhile i was quite taken with the Triumph Bonneville until I spoke with an owner of one who confided to me about the maintenance costs of that brand. Poor guy....

Anyway back to the Stryker, I'm not too concerned with ugly pipes. 1st thing to go  Roll Eyes

As for a physically smaller and lighter bike that will do what I want I have a huge temptation to buy and old 80s UJM. The majority of them are perfectly suited to my needs. I'd especially love to get my mitts on an 83 Yamaha Vision (XZ550). Beautiful bike, awesome engine...
But then I'm SOL anytime I need parts. I'll spend more time hunting for replacements than riding.

Also regarding weight I think a bit more weight is actually benefit for highway riding. Sure they fall harder but they don't get blown clear across a lane when a big rig passes you. This is my big concern with Thumpy. If I decide to take him for a ride to NYC to visit my dad how much exhaustion will I incur from fighting against pass-blast, wind and keeping the bike from going airborne on very rough highways at 70-75 mph?
I find the light weight of the S40 to be fatiguing to ride at length on highways as bad as these on the Eat Coast considering you cannot do less than 70 without a death wish.
I love Thumpy around town and especially on the rural backroads I can ride for hours on end. But just my commute to work down 95 for 19 miles tires me out.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 - 12/19/16 at 06:43:05

philthymike wrote on 12/17/16 at 09:03:08:
I find the light weight of the S40 to be fatiguing to ride at length on highways as bad as these on the Eat Coast considering you cannot do less than 70 without a death wish.
I love Thumpy around town and especially on the rural backroads I can ride for hours on end. But just my commute to work down 95 for 19 miles tires me out

I'm with you on that one. That's why I ended up with a second bike too.

I have almost no experience with cruisers so I don't have much input on the Stryker. Have you looked at Triumphs? In my opinion they have some decent looking cruisers and the new Bobber coming out. I know their motors will be incredibly smooth on the interstate.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 12/19/16 at 07:37:23

I was quite interested in the Triumph Bonneville and Scrambler until a Bonneville owner told me what his regular maintenance cost him. Even worse than for a Harley. But darn they are very attractive rides.

Yesterday I put many highway miles on my S40 - half of them in rain too. The new shocks I added have made this much more tolerable for me. And the bike works so much better in the wet now too with some extra weight on the front wheel from the longer shocks. That alone was a night and day difference from before. I dreaded taking it out on wet roads before but no longer.

I think things will be more tolerable once my engine mods are done and I've installed the bigger front brake.

But I'm still keeping an open mind about a second bike. Also a little curious about the Indian Scout 60 too.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/19/16 at 08:16:57

Mike,

You might want to take a look at the Yamaha Bolt Scrambler.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-yamaha-scr950-scrambler-first-look-motorcycle-...

It is not the greatest bike ever made, but it may be suitable for those of us looking for a second bike that is a little bigger than the Savage S40.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 12/19/16 at 09:11:41

But darn they are very attractive rides.

They are perty ,

I'd be ridding a SpeedMaster if they had Belt drive .   Wink   Those Chains are always such a DIRTY MESS    Smiley  .    Really cuts down on the choices , but that dirty chain is a forever mess.    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 12/19/16 at 09:13:22

Hi Kenny,

I looked at one when I went to pick up the Vstar 650 for my better half. It's really impressive in person. Has some nice qualities. Reading the reviews on it I noticed that in every case there were complaints about lack of lean angle before touchdown and bottoming out rear suspension. Obviously I'd have to ride one to verify this but it is a bit of a turn off. The suspension travel is pretty conservative for a bike that allegedly can be used off road to some degree. 2 inches in back is only adequate for the most tamed fire roads.

But it is nice to see Yamaha going out on a limb with such a design.
And the reviewers all agreed it is a fun bike to ride so I''ll keep an open mind about it. Maybe when I go to test ride the Stryker I'll see about trying the Scrambler too.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 12/19/16 at 09:15:54

MMRanch wrote on 12/19/16 at 09:11:41:
But darn they are very attractive rides.

They are perty ,

I'd be ridding a SpeedMaster if they had Belt drive .   Wink   Those Chains are always such a DIRTY MESS    Smiley  .    Really cuts down on the choices , but that dirty chain is a forever mess.    Smiley

Oh wow I hadn't looked into this one yet! drool...  Tongue

Agreed about the chain drives.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/19/16 at 09:33:55

What kind of a bike do you want to ride?   Are you looking for new or used?

The Stryker is a "chopper" kind of a bike......4 gallon tank, 40 mpg, low seat height, tiny headlight, low ground clearance.  Although it will have plenty of power to handle the 19 mile ride on the interstate - you won't find it comfortable.  The belt drive is nice.  It is an OK bike for taking short rides around town with frequent stops for a resting your back and arms.....with a fuel stop every 120 miles.  And the after dark performance of the small headlight is probably not very good, and you might want to be home before dark.

The Yamaha Bolt isn't a true Scambler....same thing with their Cafe' version.  Yamaha has just moved a few parts around to make it appear less like a Cruiser and more like something else.  Maybe the Bolt Scambler/Cafe' appeals to you a bit more than a Cruiser and would suit your needs - but don't expect to buy the Scrambler version and go riding off road......and a Cafe' bike  shouldn't be scraping anything when you lean over in the corners.  These bikes probably ride just fine, as long as you stay within their limits......they are not purpose built motorcycles - they are adapted from a Cruiser.

Motorcycles are very "owner specific", and you really need to be the one who picks out what you want.  Do be careful about what you buy - as the Stryker may have a very limited appeal and you may have a very hard time selling it.  A local dealer has a BMW F800 ST that they have had for a very long time, and it just won't sell.  It is a really nice bike - there just doesn't seem to be any market for it around here......a set of saddlebags for it would be more than $ 1,000!  
http://hondaofflorence.com/Motorcycles-BMW-F-800-ST-2009-Florence-KY-c5f7b6b8...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 12/19/16 at 10:18:18

I take your point about the Stryker Dave. It may not be practical and that's what I'm trying to learn about it. I'm not in love with but I see them used for very reasonable prices. Mainly I'm looking for used.

As for what kind I am open to suggestions. My aim is to have a "highway bike" and a fun little "local bike". I have the local bike. And it's fun. and I can wrench on it as I see fit because it is fairly cheap and easy to do so. I am in process of making it more usable on the highway but it's just too light for me to do longer stretches. at least not on these roads (think surface of the moon).
The longer-range highway bike needs to be something with staying power so I can join in rides to distant places - the mountains, beach, neighboring states etc.
It should be something usable for commuting in and out of the big city with though so it can't be some big touring land yacht.
It should carry a passenger with ease on the highways.
I won't be wrenching on it so it has to be a good fit with little modification.
I actually toyed with the idea of a Vstrom 1000 but the hideous ugliness of it is very hard to swallow despite it's functional utility bike virtues. I don't want to make everybody on South St. on a Friday night puke all over their gas tanks when I ride by  Shocked

It's going to be a year out most likely. I need to save the money, become a more competent rider and most importantly do my homework. That last part is why I'm trolling for ideas now. By the time I'm ready to take the plunge I want to be good and sure about what to buy.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #14 - 12/19/16 at 10:37:09

Have you considered a Victory Vegas http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/cruisers/vegas-sunset-red? It's got the same looks as the Stryker and comes with a 4.5 gallon tank. If you're looking at used, a Victory Jackpot is also in the same category.

Me personally, I like the Victory Gunner but the fact it's got 2 fat tires might put some people off.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:35:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any experiences/opinions of the Yamaha Stryker?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.