Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock muffler question (Read 140 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Stock muffler question
12/16/16 at 09:50:20

I searched to see if there was any info on this, but not much came up.

My question is, has anyone tried to remove the innards of the original stock muffler.  My (a 2011 year) appears as though it has some pop rivets in the back end of it that might possibly be holding the insides in.  At first they looked like button head socket screws, but not so.

I am wondering what would happen if the pop rivets (or whatever they are) were to be drilled out, would the parts be removable and then replaceable?

Thanks in advance.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stock muffler question
Reply #1 - 12/16/16 at 11:28:29

Not exactly what you want, but may offer you some info...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268121565

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 12/17/16 at 05:43:10

verslagen1 wrote on 12/16/16 at 11:28:29:
Not exactly what you want, but may offer you some info...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268121565

Actually this was helpful as I "contemplate" some sort of change.  Perhaps someone else will get on and have done what I am suggesting.

Thanks!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/17/16 at 07:42:03

The stock muffler is ugly. The Dyna is a cheap, sometimes easy, much better looking, easy to jet to, if jetting is even necessary, AND, you can keep the OEM shiny trash can in case you booger up the Dyna and have something to use while you're scrounging up a new Dyna.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 12/18/16 at 04:49:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/17/16 at 07:42:03:
The stock muffler is ugly. The Dyna is a cheap, sometimes easy, much better looking, easy to jet to, if jetting is even necessary, AND, you can keep the OEM shiny trash can in case you booger up the Dyna and have something to use while you're scrounging up a new Dyna.

To be honest, I don't mind the looks of the original as I am not trying to make a fashion statement, I just want to ride and enjoy.  My reason for asking this question is that I would like a deeper tone, a little louder than original, but not too loud or blasty.

FYI, though, where is best place to get a DYNA - a local Harly shop, or mail order?  How much generally does one run costwise?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/18/16 at 10:16:46

I went to an independent shop that works on a lot of Harleys and spent twenty bucks.
Again, some mount up, no hassle, others require an adapter.
Why has never been understood.
There are three Dyna muffler types.
The hardest to mount is what I got, but, it's what they had.
The Dyna is a much better sounding exhaust. If you gut the chrome trash can it's not gonna run worth a crap and it's gonna be loud. You can just drill a few holes and see how that sounds.
It's been done to some degree of satisfaction by a few guys.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #6 - 12/20/16 at 14:47:09

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 12/18/16 at 04:49:50:
... where is best place to get a DYNA - a local Harly shop, or mail order?  How much generally does one run costwise?

I bought a pair of Dyna mufflers from ebay $50 I think.  I'd try a local shop first to avoid shipping.  You can have my spare for $25 (no big scratches).  This is the version with the slot-rail mount, that a carriage-bolt fits well in the rail.  You'll still need at least one fat clamp, and maybe a 6-degree angle adapter, and bend your muffler support or add bolts+hardware to bridge to the muffler support.  

The 6degree joint is troublesome - I cut slots/fingers into the new muffler to make the joint because I did not want to add length for 6degree adapter.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/20/16 at 16:07:55

ero4444 wrote on 12/20/16 at 14:47:09:
piedmontbuckeye wrote on 12/18/16 at 04:49:50:
... where is best place to get a DYNA - a local Harly shop, or mail order?  How much generally does one run costwise?

I bought a pair of Dyna mufflers from ebay $50 I think.  I'd try a local shop first to avoid shipping.  You can have my spare for $25 (no big scratches).  This is the version with the slot-rail mount, that a carriage-bolt fits well in the rail.  You'll still need at least one fat clamp, and maybe a 6-degree angle adapter, and bend your muffler support or add bolts+hardware to bridge to the muffler support.  

The 6degree joint is troublesome - I cut slots/fingers into the new muffler to make the joint because I did not want to add length for 6degree adapter.

Following the advice of folks here on SS, I placed a "want to buy" ad in my local Craig's List.  Basically stated I was looking for stock Dyna mufflers.  Lots of HD riders immediately put loud pipes on their bikes and the stock take-off Dynas are pristine.  I included some verbiage about freeing up space in their garage/shop and making a few bucks selling things they weren't using.  I ended up getting a perfect pair, with the nice clamps for $40.  In a box with the packing used for the new loud pipes the guy put on.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 12/26/16 at 13:57:47

Piedmont, The stock muffler has two baffles--one large and a smaller one inside. If you gut a stock muffler you lose low end power. There are several Harley mufflers that will work. You can loosen your header bolts slightly and swing the header out a hair to line it up with your muffler. The OE bracket can be bent or twisted slightly with a pipe wrench to line up your muffler attachment point. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:31:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.