Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic? (Read 324 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic?
Reply #15 - 12/23/16 at 14:37:27

philthymike wrote on 12/23/16 at 14:36:47:
philthymike wrote on 12/23/16 at 14:35:56:
So Thumpy is back home now. And he running like a champ too!
Turns out it was a good thing I got this work done now. The old cam seems to have a material defect and one lobe is all mangled up. Rockers were fine. But this lobe is a total mess. It's all pitted and cracked looking.
I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

The mechanic did good work! This guys knows his stuff and did a really good job. He also fixed and adjusted a handful of other small annoyances on the bike I hadn't gotten around to yet. He told me he only had to tune the carb, no jets. And I can't find a fault with throttle response anywhere. It's better than it's ever been. whatever he did the man knows his carbs!

Him and I started jokingly calling it the Satanic Savage since it has the 666cc bore kit. It is a fitting name for when you get on it. I didn't get on it too hard. One blip of the throttle will get you from 50 to 60 in no time at all. There's a lot more pull up there now. On backroads I can keep it in 3rd gear most of the time. I'm not doing the 2,3,4,3,2 dance at all anymore. I like that!

My total bill was $325 including a tank of 93 octane and new oil. I gave him a tip for X-mas as well.

I really think this is how this motor should be coming from the factory. It's fine for riding in heavy stop and go traffic, great on backroads and has plenty of grunt left at higher speeds.

More to come...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #16 - 12/24/16 at 08:54:11

Here's a pic of the bad cam lobe. The other lobe looks alright.
Any ideas as to the cause of this?

IMG_6280.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 12/25/16 at 05:33:28

That's some pretty bad pitting.  I've seen it on some camshafts with fairly low mileage so I think it is something that is at least marginally common.  It can be used for a while as is but I would suggest replacing it at some point.
 It can be fixed with hard welding the lobes and then regrinding.  The end result is better than the original stock.
If you want to replace it now I have Stage 3 camshafts on hand.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 12/25/16 at 05:43:23

Some have suggested that that kind of pitting is caused when the bike has been stored for a long period of time, and rust built up on the surface.

Lancer.....I believe he already has a new cam installed based on what he said in the first post.

Don't throw that worn cam away.....it can be used as a core for a welded and reground cam.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 12/25/16 at 06:58:11

I had forgotten that, thanks Dave.
Yep, DO NOT THROW IT AWAY.
Those old cam cores are hard to find.
It's worth $50 to me, to be able to use it in making Stage 3's.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #20 - 12/25/16 at 07:38:29

This was the original stock cam with 12,400 miles on it. I put in a new stage 2 cam from webcam and have to send them this for the core. I paid a $50 deposit for it.

My 1st thought was that some debris got into the engine causing this but then it would be elsewhere and not just on the one lobe. The original piston and cylinder look good as new except a little carbon buildup. If anybody has a need for those parts I can go get them from the mechanic anytime.

As for the bike being stored a long time I can't say with certainty if it had been. I bought it used from a person who claimed he commuted regularly with it but who knows...

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 12/26/16 at 06:33:39

So I went for a nice christmas ride yesterday. I took Route 1 out to Chadds Ford PA and then proceeded to ride up the length of Creek Rd. along the Brandywine Creek. Thanks to some winter riding gear I received for X-mas I was nice and toasty during this 4 hour ride. Creek road is a blast to ride, with lots of winding twists and turns. I did the entire road in 3rd gear! I didn't have to shift at all except to stop at intersections. Best part is that I had the road to myself mostly. What a good time!
Along the highway parts of route 1 I found I can easily keep speed going up the bigger hills without having to lay on more throttle and overtaking cagers was no sweat. In 4th gear I hit 65 at about 1/4 throttle. And there's plenty of power left. I've yet to do 5th gear. I just haven't needed it.

I've inspected the bike before, during and after the ride and cannot find anything wrong with it. No leaks or anything. This mechanic did a solid job on the engine and his little tweaks on other parts of the bike have tightened it up nice. It's running perfectly.

The new power band is a dream. it puts plenty of useful power where the bike needed it most. My shifting foot is much less busy too now. My only complaint so far is that my license plate has start buzzing at certain RPM's.
Nothing a little double-sided tape and a strip of foam rubber won't fix.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 12/26/16 at 10:09:26

I rode behind the 05 my girl was riding. I thought my eyes had gone crazy, at a certain RPM the rear fender shook Violently, enough to blur the license plate. Until then I didn't understand why the license plates sometimes crack.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #23 - 12/26/16 at 12:05:11

#1 The pitting on the cam lobe is due to rust. (I've run into the same thing on some of the old cars I've restored (The rear differential etc..)
#2 Something is loose to have that much vibration.  I have no noticeable vibration in my (modified) '07 S40 at any RPM.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 12/26/16 at 16:34:18

I never felt or heard anything that indicated something was loose and I was trying after I saw the fender shake.
Harmonic vibrations can get wild.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 12/27/16 at 09:06:56

I went over the bike thoroughly and didn't find anything loose. If I flick the license plate with my finger it vibrates with the same sound I am hearing while riding. And I noticed one of the mounting screws is missing the rubber washer the other one has. I'll replace it.

If that pitting is rust I guess the bike must have sat prior to my purchasing it. I guess you can never trust what a seller tells you about what they're selling.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 12/27/16 at 16:03:18

I'm a virgin, but for $100.00, you can change that...

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #27 - 12/27/16 at 17:04:55

All the bike work + holidays has left me a little light in the wallet, would ya settle for $5.27?  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.