Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic? (Read 324 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic?
12/13/16 at 06:45:37

Tomorrow I am taking my little Thumpy to the mechanic for the big bore and cam install. I can't do it myself, not enough tools and no garage so I'm biting the bullet and laying out for the work to be done by a competent motorcycle mechanic.

I have the Big Bore kit from Windsor which comes with a properly sized head gasket, piston rings + pin as well as the cylinder jug and piston.
I have the cam and some assembly lube for it plus a printout of the clearances checklist.
And I'm having a gasket kit for the engine fedexed to the shop.

For materials I think he'll be all set.
He's done big bore kits and cams before and knows to check clearances and adjust valve lash etc.
He's worked on Suzukis before. A couple M109's, a S50 and their various sport bikes but not an LS650.

What sorts of LS650 specific things might I want to tell him to watch out for?
Are there any peculiarities he might want to know about before starting the job?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic?
Reply #1 - 12/13/16 at 06:50:48

Get a Versy and head plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/13/16 at 07:10:06

He doesn't need to worry about checking piston/valve clearance - all the parts from Wiseco and WebCam work together without any issues.  The Webcam will have different valve lash clearance than the stock cam - so he needs to adjust the valves to what the WebCam specs are that should be included with the cam.

He should used the proper Suzukibond or similar products from Yamaha or Honda....not an RTV from the auto parts store.  The official stuff sets up much slower and gives you time to work at installing the head cover.

What do you know about the health of your cam chain?  Have you installed a Verslagen tensioner....how far is the plunger extended?  20 mm out and you are about to have a failure.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 12/13/16 at 07:18:52

I will ask him to check that chain then. If the tensioner is alright for now I'll put that off for the spring servicing.
I had the 11,000 mile maintenance done by Suzuki last month and they didn't say anything about it. I'll check back with them today and see if they even looked at it.

Suzuki replaced the head plug last month, that I do know.
He won't have to take it out will he?

I'll mention the Suzukibond to him.

I think the clearances checklist has the lash details.

Anything else?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/13/16 at 07:29:43

philthymike wrote on 12/13/16 at 07:18:52:
I had the 11,000 mile maintenance done by Suzuki last month and they didn't say anything about it. I'll check back with them today and see if they even looked at it.

Suzuki replaced the head plug last month, that I do know.
He won't have to take it out will he?

Most Suzuki dealers don't know much about the care and feeding of the Savage.  They most likely didn't check the cam chain tensioner.

If your dealer put a stock rubber head plug back in the bike - it will eventually fail again.  You might want to install the Versy plug while the bike is apart - and never have to worry about it again.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 12/13/16 at 07:38:16

Ok good info! Thanks!
That's pretty negligent on the part of Suzuki! I like the mechanic at my dealership though, he's a good guy. I'll call and ask him about it at lunch today. he said the old plug was fine he just replaced it just in case.

When I get the bike back I intend to ride it around enough to ensure proper breakin of the new engine parts. Then weather permitting, take a few joyrides before putting it to bed for the remainder of the winter. When Spring rolls in then I'll be doing a bunch more work to the bike again. One item on my list is taking the crankcase covers off to be powder coated. So I'll be tearing the engine down a bit then anyways. At that time I can replace the tensioner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/13/16 at 08:02:59

Service manual doesn't call for sealant on the head plug.
Reality does.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 12/13/16 at 09:27:20

Ok so he's going to watch out for the chain issue. The mechanic says he can modify the tensioner plunger if it seems necessary. And thankfully the gasket kit has crankcase cover gaskets in it too.

The Suzuki mechanic did not check the chain. He did put sealant on the new plug he installed though.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/13/16 at 18:04:04

Do you trust your mechanic to not use too much sealant and clog the oil passages? Most guys I know really pile it on thick to ensure a leak free seal. Not a good thing!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 12/20/16 at 09:00:48

Just got the call - the mechanic is putting Thumpy's engine back together and may have it done by this evening. He's been sending me pictures and videos of the work so far and everything looks great. He's checked the cam chain, sprockets and tensioner and reports they are all well within Suzuki's specs too.
When he's done buttoning it up he's going to play around with different pilot jets to see what works best for the now bigger motor if it doesn't run as well as expected.
I'd already upped the main jet when I added the Dyna muffler because I had alot of surging past half throttle. The jet change got rid of it.

He's checking all clearances as he goes and he'll adjust the valve lash according to Webcam when he gets there later.

I'm excitied!!!!  Smiley

And I'm very appreciative of this guy's constant communication and updates. Helps keep me from worrying too much about my best buddy.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 12/20/16 at 19:06:30

FYI, the white spacer mod will work better for you than upping the size of the main jet. Well, that is if your bike spends most of its time off a race track.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 12/21/16 at 06:54:33

Thanks. I've been meaning to do it but thought I would wait till the engine mods got put in. It's on my list.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/21/16 at 07:05:20

The bigger/badder piston, camshaft and DYNA muffler really don't change the jetting requirements much.

I had the same setup, and I spent a lot of time getting the jetting correct, and I used an air/fuel meter to confirm the jetting.

My engine ran best on a #50 pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers on the needle (there was a lean surge at low throttle settings with 3 washers on the needle).

I ride at an elevation of 500 - 825 msl.....so if you are below that you might need a larger pilot - a 52.5 is the largest jet you should ever need if you are running the stock filter system.

If your cam is new.....avoid any idling for the first 15 minutes after the engine is started.  Then for the next 500 miles be easy on the piston/cylinder.....no full throttle interstate trips, you should vary the speeds and do some runs rolling the throttle on/off to help seat the rings.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 12/21/16 at 12:43:28

It had a flat spot right at the throttle position for holding a steady 30 mph but it varied with temperature. On colder days it was worse than on warm days and humidity seemed to have an affect too. In general the bike ran better overall when it was damp. My old 67 econoline was like that too.

Should I avoid the highway when I ride it home from the shop? I have about 35 miles to go...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/21/16 at 13:03:57

philthymike wrote on 12/21/16 at 12:43:28:
Should I avoid the highway when I ride it home from the shop? I have about 35 miles to go...

I would....the first hour is most likely the most critical time for the piston/cylinder to get to know each other.  It is important to vary the rpm and throttle during the break in period....and you likely can't do that when you are at the mercy of the other traffic on the highway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:23:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore + Cam Info for Mechanic?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.