Send Topic Print
Bush vs Gore 2000 (Read 51 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bush vs Gore 2000
12/12/16 at 16:48:50

Time has dimmed memories, but try to think back to that time and the partisan animosity that exploded and the charges of who was trying to steal the Oval Office.

What I'm trying to do is decide which election raised the temperature more.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Bush vs Gore 2000
Reply #1 - 12/12/16 at 17:38:15

Not really sure if the example is applicable.
So much has changed since then.

Those two candidates were not all that far apart.
You couple that with 8 years of Obama, who I still believe was not the candidate of choice by the string pullers in Washington.
He is as much responsible for this outcome as any Russian.

The left wing/identity politics came on way too fast under his leadership, and you see how the PC indoctrination exploded on itself.

Most of the accusations, fighting, etc, is coming from the media/academia, and elitist, not the so called rank and file that voted for Obama twice, that switched and voted Trump....
It was more than just angry white men.  

I still don't think its settled yet, but I think they better think twice, before they try and undo the election, it will feed into the contempt, proving all along politics is just a charade.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/12/16 at 19:56:33

Obama and Hillary went to meet, illegally, with the Bilderberg group, while the press were held captive on a plane.
After that, she faded... and I declared her
Next..

She made herself so unpalatable that I'm surprised she and Bill haven't been rubbed out.
Bill screwed up Arkansas years ago, but,he was protected..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/13/16 at 04:34:27

fellas.... you strolled way out into the weeds!

Just simple question here, which election raised the temperature of the partisan nation more, 2000 or 2016?

My thought is 2016.

In 2000, the Dems had a straw man they could easily blame this on, one that has a tiny bit of legitimacy, namely courts getting involved. (long story....)

This one,  all they can do is blame themselves. This overblown Russian thing isn't quite going to explain things because ultimately, the emails exposed what they were doing in the background. And of course it also kept the whole Hilary email scandal in the forefront. And that was a scandal created entirely by the candidate so no one else can be blamed for that. Nope, this one's all on them.

So I'm voting for 2016 as the election in most recent past to explode emotions.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/13/16 at 04:43:35

This is just ludicrous, the are cornered and frothing in the mouth.  We have to be the laughing stock of the entire world.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 12/13/16 at 05:32:02

pg wrote on 12/13/16 at 04:43:35:
This is just ludicrous, the are cornered and frothing in the mouth.  We have to be the laughing stock of the entire world.

Best regards,

Well if not the world, surely Russia  Grin

We won the race into space, I can remember after Sputnik, it was a thing of national pride at our technology won.
I guess now our technology lost, eh, as they beat us to the technology of disrupting our democracy  Shocked

Yes, pre election result Trump was pounded for weeks, ridiculed with trying to sway voters that Trump wouldn't commit to agreeing and accepting the vote count, results.
Hillary said it went right to the foundation of our democracy.
Trump said he couldn't agree to something without know exactly what it was.....
So, was Trump right all along then?
Or, is the left guilty of what they charged against Trump?
Or......
We all just fools?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 12/13/16 at 15:08:05

WebsterMark wrote on 12/12/16 at 16:48:50:
" ... What I'm trying to do is decide which election raised the temperature more.

Took a  brake  from blowing snow, was gonna look for my old history books, then decided to try, ‘Fake News’.   (Even though, I am sure much of it has been,  ‘Re-Written”)

Anyway.  these sites say:  (3 out of 4),   1828   (Only 188 years  ago)

http://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/presidential-elections
http://www.alternet.org/culture/dirtiest-presidential-campaign-history-might-...
http://history1800s.about.com/od/leaders/a/electionof1828.htm
Says 1828
http://www.livescience.com/24514-five-nasty-strange-presidential-elections.html
Says  1828,

And on the 1828 one,  (Andrew Jackson, D  vs.  John Quincy Adams, R)
The Site says: “ …And by the time the votes were cast, both men would have wild stories circulated about their pasts, with lurid charges of murder, adultery, and procuring of women being plastered across the pages of partisan newspapers. …”  
And,   “…  procured prostitutes for the czar while serving as U.S. minister to Russia …”  
And,  “ …Adams men claimed Jackson was a bigamist and an adulterer…”  
And, “ … portrayed Jackson as a violent frontier ruffian…”

Gee,  where have I see/hear, that  before  ????

The stuff below this.
Is just stuff I found interesting.  (all quotes from the above sites)
Fascinating   Stuff.  

- - - - - - - -
1796: John Adams vs. Thomas Jefferson

The 1796 election, which took place against a background of increasingly harsh partisanship between Federalists and Republicans, was the first contested presidential race      the runner-up becoming vice president.

1816: James Monroe vs. Rufus King, after the bitter partisanship of the Jefferson and Madison administrations, War of  1812)

1820,   Federalist  Party ceases to exist.
The Republican party broke apart in the 1824 election.

1828: Andrew Jackson vs. John Quincy Adams;  The emergence of two parties promoted popular interest in the election. Jackson’s party, sometimes called the Democratic-Republicans or simply Democrats, developed the first sophisticated national network of party organizations. Local party groups sponsored parades, barbecues, tree plantings, and other popular events designed to promote Jackson and the local slate. The National-Republicans, the party of Adams and Henry Clay, lacked the local organizations of the Democrats.

The 1828 election campaign was one of the dirtiest in America’s history. Both parties spread false and exaggerated rumors about the opposition. Jackson men charged that Adams obtained the presidency in 1824 through a “corrupt bargain” with Clay. And they painted the incumbent president as a decadent aristocrat, who had procured prostitutes for the czar while serving as U.S. minister to Russia and spent taxpayer money on “gambling” equipment for the White House (actually a chess set and a billiard table).

The National-Republicans portrayed Jackson as a violent frontier ruffian, the son, some said, of a prostitute married to a mulatto. When Jackson and his wife, Rachel, married, the couple believed that her first husband had obtained a divorce. After learning the divorce had not yet been made final, the couple held a second, valid wedding. Now the Adams men claimed Jackson was a bigamist and an adulterer. More justifiably, administration partisans questioned Jackson’s sometimes violent discipline of the army in the War of 1812 and the brutality of his invasion of Florida in the Seminole War. Ironically, Secretary of State Adams had defended Jackson at the time of the Seminole War, taking advantage of Jackson’s unauthorized incursion to obtain Florida for the United States from Spain.

1856: James Buchanan vs. Millard Fillmore vs. John C. Freemont

The 1856 election was waged by new political coalitions and was the first to confront directly the issue of slavery. The violence that followed the Kansas-Nebraska Act destroyed the old political system and past formulas of compromises. The Whig party was dead. Know-Nothings nominated Millard Fillmore to head their nativist American party and chose Andrew J. Donelson for vice president. The Democratic party, portraying itself as the national party, nominated James Buchanan for president and John C. Breckinridge for vice president. Its platform supported the Kansas-Nebraska Act and noninterference with slavery. This election saw the emergence of a new, sectional party composed of ex-Whigs, Free-Soil Democrats, and antislavery groups. The Republican party opposed the extension of slavery The Republican party opposed the extension of slavery and promised a free-labor society with expanded opportunities for white workers. It nominated military hero, John C. Frémont of California for president and William L. Dayton for vice president.

The campaign centered around “Bleeding Kansas.” The battle over the concept of popular sovereignty sharpened northern fears about the spread of slavery and southern worries about northern interference. The physical assault by Congressman Preston S. Brooks of South Carolina on Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts on the floor of the Senate heightened northern resentment of southern aggressiveness.

Although the Democratic candidate, Buchanan, won with 174 electoral votes and 1,838,169 votes, the divided opposition gained more popular votes. The Republican party captured 1,335,264 votes and 114 in the electoral college, and the American party received 874,534 popular and 8 electoral votes. The Republicans’ impressive showing–carrying eleven of sixteen free states and 45 percent of northern ballots–left the South feeling vulnerable to attacks on slavery and fearful the Republicans would soon capture the government.and promised a free-labor society with

Next time you think that today’s politicians have brought campaigning to a new low, just remember to keep the election of 1800 in mind. Dirty tricks are not a modern invention and none other than Thomas Jefferson pioneered the oldest one in the book—spreading outright lies about your opponent.
In 1800, the United States chose between the Federalist Party’s candidate, incumbent President John Adams, who was associated with a strong central government and the financial industry, and the Democratic-Republican’s candidate, Thomas Jefferson, who was linked with strong support for states’ rights and the agrarian class. The election was a struggle over the young nation’s future, but the campaign had one key difference from modern contests—candidates at the time did not actively campaign, but rather had their supporters advocate on their behalf. In fact, both Adams and Jefferson remained at home for the duration of the campaign.

But don’t think the candidates weren’t playing a central behind-the-scenes role in their campaigns. Jefferson contacted one of his supporters, pamphleteer James Callender, to print a series of vicious tracts spreading lies about Adams. Callender’s publications alleged that Adams planned on going to war with France and that he had a “hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.” Callender’s slanderous attacks damaged Adams’ credibility and helped Jefferson win the election.  

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/13/16 at 16:11:39

WebsterMark wrote on 12/13/16 at 04:34:27:
fe
My thought is 2016.

In 2000, the Dems had a straw man they could easily blame this on, one that has a tiny bit of legitimacy, namely courts getting involved. (long story....)

This one,  all they can do is blame themselves. This overblown Russian thing isn't quite going to explain things because ultimately, the emails exposed what they were doing in the background. And of course it also kept the whole Hilary email scandal in the forefront. And that was a scandal created entirely by the candidate so no one else can be blamed for that. Nope, this one's all on them.

So I'm voting for 2016 as the election in most recent past to explode emotions.

Keep in mind,... Hillary is 2.84 million votes ahead...
Trump is President with only 46% of the vote...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 12/13/16 at 16:29:31

For better or worse we have a republic as opposed to a democracy.  We are not ruled by an omnipotent majority, they cannot impose their will on the minority due in part to the electoral college.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/13/16 at 17:03:53

The fact she's ahead is another brick in the wall.
I don't think this one is settling down anytime soon.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #10 - 12/13/16 at 17:43:45

Serowbot wrote on 12/13/16 at 16:11:39:
Trump is President with only 46% of the vote...

Lets see.

A   Rabbit, wanders in to a  Fox  den.
The 2  foxes their, say:
“What’s for Dinner”
The  Rabbit says:   ‘Let’s Vote”
The vote is, Fox 2,  rabbit 1.

Now, say,  the   Rabbit, has,
 (Illegal rabbits,   Dead  rabbits,  a Bus with  rabbits)
“All   Voting”

What would  the,  ‘popular’  vote be ???

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 12/13/16 at 17:46:52

In 1828 ,  (Andrew Jackson, D  vs.  John Quincy Adams, R)
“ …And by the time the votes were cast, both men would have wild stories circulated about their pasts, with lurid charges of murder, adultery, and procuring of women being plastered across the pages of partisan newspapers. …”  
And,   “…  procured prostitutes for the czar while serving as U.S. minister to Russia …”  
And,  “ …Adams men claimed Jackson was a bigamist and an adulterer…”  
And, “ … portrayed Jackson as a violent frontier ruffian…”

Looks like,  188 years  ago,   it   started  !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 00:39:30

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Bush vs Gore 2000

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.