Send Topic Print
Electrical questions (Read 83 times)
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical questions
12/11/16 at 16:41:14

I recently bought a 06 model savage. The guy had already started tearing it down because he was gonna build a cafe style bike out of it. Well he had to move and lost his work space. Anyway. Electrical connectors everywhere. I have figured out all the ones I am gonna use ( I think ).         1. What is the relay at the bottom of the tank near the seat. Omron relay 7 pin?   2. Are y'all using all the stock connectors when doing basic wiring for a bobber? ( in the false oil tanks ). I'm gonna keep the wiring as basic as I can. I don't even think I'm gonna do blinkers. I am wanting to fire the bike off before I start tearing the rest of the way apart for the hardtail add on. 3. Do I need to start unwrapping the factory harness and weeding out what I don't need?  4. The wire going into the clutch side ( low oil level )? What are y'all doing with that to do away with it?  I will probability think of more things into the thread but for now I'll nuts up. Haha

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical questions
Reply #1 - 12/11/16 at 16:52:40

Rtrnate1283 wrote on 12/11/16 at 16:41:14:
1. What is the relay at the bottom of the tank near the seat. Omron relay 7 pin?

decomp controller
Quote:
4. The wire going into the clutch side ( low oil level )? What are y'all doing with that to do away with it?  

blue wire?
neutral indicator

WWW   IP Logged
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/11/16 at 17:01:12

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok I have made a manual decomp lever already. So that's not needed. Yes blue wire it is. Didn't even think of neutral indicator. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/11/16 at 17:05:58

I agree, fire it up before you start messing around with the wiring harness. Fire it up after every major step.

If it's been parked long enough to let the oil get off the cylinder, might wanna get some oil in on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/11/16 at 17:10:26

Good point Justin. How do you suggest oiling the cylinder prior to starting?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/11/16 at 17:32:53

It's a big vertical cylinder, you can buy fogging oil or squirt some in the plug hole, let it sit a while, slowly roll it over. Wait for oil to drain out the ring gaps.

Crud gathers by the plug. Don't let grit fall in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 12/11/16 at 17:43:04

Maybe not the best advice but I don't sweat the weird connectors. I cut them off, strip the wires and solder them together and apply heat shrink over them. In my years of repairing the electronics, avionics and electrical systems of Navy fighters and various consumer electronics devices I've found that connectors suck - all of them. Just solder the wires it takes just as much time and effort as installing the proper connectors does. Grain of salt here...
Obviously with things like a relay you may need the proper connectors. But for everything else just save yourself the frustration and solder. More Corrosion resistant and mechanically stronger. If you need to tear down just cut the wires and resolder them later. Saves money too.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/11/16 at 19:09:34

You can eliminate the decomp controller but you have to jump 1 connector to another to get the starter to turn.

top center to lower right.

WWW   IP Logged
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/12/16 at 11:06:39

verslagen1 wrote on 12/11/16 at 19:09:34:
You can eliminate the decomp controller but you have to jump 1 connector to another to get the starter to turn.

top center to lower right.

I have been thinking the same thing

IP Logged
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/12/16 at 11:09:17

philthymike wrote on 12/11/16 at 17:43:04:
Maybe not the best advice but I don't sweat the weird connectors. I cut them off, strip the wires and solder them together and apply heat shrink over them. In my years of repairing the electronics, avionics and electrical systems of Navy fighters and various consumer electronics devices I've found that connectors suck - all of them. Just solder the wires it takes just as much time and effort as installing the proper connectors does. Grain of salt here...
Obviously with things like a relay you may need the proper connectors. But for everything else just save yourself the frustration and solder. More Corrosion resistant and mechanically stronger. If you need to tear down just cut the wires and resolder them later. Saves money too.

This is what I was thinking

IP Logged
Rtrnate1283
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/12/16 at 11:10:39

Sorry vers I didn't mean to quote yours. I haven't looked that far into it to know what your talking about.  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 12/12/16 at 13:09:50

liquid tape (I found it at Lowes) waterproofs the back of stock connectors ,and soldered and taped joints.

« Last Edit: 12/14/16 at 21:02:30 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.