2017 Savage (Read 388 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 2017 Savage
Reply #15 - 12/13/16 at 11:36:03

Let's face it, the S40 is an entry level "cruiser" Suzuki want you to move up to their next and more expensive cruiser asap. It just happens that the bike is an ideal platform for the bobber chopper brigade and a sweet little ride for the post male menopause and old fart style motorcyclist. I must say the clear coat aluminium never lasted well. It certainly hasn't on mine. I am not technical but if it were discontinued Suzuki have a 250cc V Twin that they could use for entry level purposes. If it is discontinued, there will be quite a number of low mileage second hand ones around for a few years yet.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 12/13/16 at 16:03:14

The trouble with the overhead cam "V" motor is there are two cam chains involved , Double-trouble ... so to speak , especially with a small high revving motor .   I hope they go with a single , long stroke 400 .  Hydraulic      lifters would be asking too much ,but then it wouldn't matter how many valves each cylinder had.  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 12/14/16 at 12:09:09

I like it , well I want the all black one , the one behind the orange one.
As a matter of fact I think it's the best looking one so far,in black !
To bad you can't order it without that dumb sticker on the tank ,
Bowl of lard !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #18 - 12/17/16 at 04:06:42

After the new Rebel 500 steals sales from everyone not named Honda, they will all be forced to respond with new models. 2017 may be the final year for the Shadow models! (and the S40!)
I can't wait! Cool

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #19 - 12/19/16 at 14:31:12

Hi, this is my first post on the forum (apart from my intro post). The forum helped me heaps in choosing a bike Smiley

The first S40 I ever saw was one of these blacked out models, with black tank. I was looking at cruisers at the local dealer, checking out the Vulcan 500 and the V Star 650. I didn't like the feel of them, then the dealer pointed me to the S40. It's not a common bike here in Australia. As soon as I sat on it, I loved it. I later bought a used 2014 model in dark grey, after a lot of research on here.

The dealer was really excited about the blacked out version. He said he had never even looked at the previous models but this one really got his attention. He rides a HD Breakout.

At first I was kind of excited about the all black look (in theory), but the more I researched the S40/Savage, the more I liked the old-school look of the chrome. When I stand back and look at the blacked out version all I see is a fuel tank, seat ... and then a nondescript shadow for everything else. To me, it loses a lot of it's character because you can't really make out the parts or the lines. Suzuki also dropped the badge on the tank, which I think is areal pity

I think Suzuki did a sort of underwhelming job, if this was supposed to modernize the bike (as someone else here mentioned, all black seems to be the thing atm). They changed the mirrors to suit the new styling . They should have done something similar to the turn signal housings and the brake light.

Anyway, just my opinion, for what it's worth Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #20 - 12/21/16 at 08:04:41

I'm with Island'.   It seems like every thing in the show room that wants to emit a macho / "bad boy" image is blacked out...   Personally, I prefer the "old school" look of my 2007.   Cool    (The only thing that doesn't look like it came from the factory is the "Old Thumper" decal on the tool cover and the heat wrap on the header....)  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 12/21/16 at 13:16:34

Black out is done to death already IMO.
As for the Savage/S40 I agree with above opinions - it has a nice classic look to it.
I think perhaps there is too much chrome and I've put some thought into a solution that appeals to my sensibilities.
Some parts will just be removed like the grab bars.
A few parts will be replaced with black chrome parts as I've done with my rear turn signals. the front signals will follow eventually. Perhaps the crash bar and crankcases too but I'll have to take them to a powder coating place for that.
the chrome headlight replaced with a black one.
The belt guard and battery box will be painted the same color as the rest of the bike - white
I'm thinking the same for the wheels - maybe. Or the bottom of the forks?

I'm trying to come up with a better balance. As overkill as black-out has gotten I feel the overkill on chrome is just as tacky.

Another more rebellious part of me is urging me to just make the thing a filthy punk rock looking road rat and let the chrome rust up and put stickers all over the body work instead of pouring money and energy into the cosmetics  Wink
There's a dirty white Sportster always parked in the alley behind where I work that looks like it sat at the bottom of the ocean for awhile before being stored down in the subway for a few decades and then ridden around the world and back 16 times. In a way it actually appeals to me for some strange reason.  Cheesy

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 12/21/16 at 14:30:12

Mike,

Do you like women in short skirts and Dolly Parton wigs too?

Kenny G

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 12/21/16 at 16:47:14

2016 had a white tank version, you might get run outs cheap in the US. You'll still have to live with the clear coat. Pity they don't seem to be doing a white tank this year.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #24 - 12/21/16 at 17:11:37

Kenny G wrote on 12/21/16 at 14:30:12:
Mike,

Kenny G

My wife saw this and "That sounds more like a Texans' fixation...Short skirts and big hair..."  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #25 - 12/21/16 at 17:48:24

You sayin' we ain't keepin' up with the styles?

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #26 - 12/22/16 at 06:18:32

Kenny G wrote on 12/21/16 at 14:30:12:
Mike,

Kenny G

Oh hell yeah!
What a great idea for an X-mas present for better-half! Thanks!
Now to google wig shops in Philly  Cheesy

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #27 - 12/22/16 at 06:26:06

Mike,

And they thought the Texans had one track minds?

We from Philly have our thinkin' right!
"Like our women a little on the trashy side."

Kenny G

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #28 - 12/22/16 at 07:42:43

Lips Sealed That will teach me.  Cool

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #29 - 12/22/16 at 10:32:56

Indian,

You are not too old to learn...... Shocked

Kenny G    Lips Sealed

IP Logged