Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muffler shield removal (Read 139 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Muffler shield removal
12/10/16 at 19:15:33

Just doing some preliminary investigation prior to dyna install. I'm having a bit of a problem working out how to best remove the heat shield. See photo.

I have clamp no. 13 off and I now see that there appears to be two screws no. 11 also holding shield on. The screw closest to the front of the bike looks like I can get to it from the other side, but the rearward one seems to be blocked by a flat plate on the bottom of the bike that is welded to the assembly that holds the muffler by the mounting rails.

There's also some sort of thing which I have marked with a red square, it looks like once I work out how to get the rear screw off that the red square contains some sort of a tang that the heat shield connects to, but I'm not sure.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Also are the screws no. 11 JIS or normal Phillips head?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Muffler shield removal
Reply #1 - 12/10/16 at 20:21:45

When I put the dyna on my bike I took the OEM muffler off heat shield and all. It didn't seem worth the effort to bother with it as I had no plans to reuse it. In retrospect it would be easier to get that shield off now the muffler is removed.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 12/10/16 at 22:29:01

Oh right, it didn't even occur to me to leave it on, I was just in 'dismantle mode' <<slaps head>>

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 12/11/16 at 07:43:04

If the screws on yours are as badly rusted as mine you may not want to mess with them.

KIMG0153.JPG

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 12/11/16 at 07:50:58

Please forgive me the thread hijack sauvage. I just wanted to post this for PiedmontBuckeye to see.

It appears that the previous owner took this to be repacked at a muffler shop and for some reason riveting the back cap on didn't work out for them so they welded it. I would take this as a cautionary sign in regards to repacking. Perhaps something happens drilling out those rivets that makes it hard or impossible to rivet the cap back on?

I must also apologize to the poor mouse that was living in this muffler that I disturbed to take the pictures - sorry little bugger. It's back in the yard again if it wants to setup shop in it again.

KIMG0154.JPG

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 12/11/16 at 11:07:42

I mounted my dyna using the tin can crush and dyna clamp,if the clamp  is positioned right the heat shield will go right back on minus the two screws ,the front clamp(13) holds it and the little pads (11) are unused due to the fact that the shield stands about 1/2" away from the new muffler and never gets hot.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 12/12/16 at 03:57:03

@Batman, after reading up more on this topic now that I've bought a dyna muffler, I think I'm going to get something made like the ryca exhaust adapter with the 6º angle from the local muffler shop, it's the gf's bike and I don't want any grief ;¬) Check out my dyna muffler thread to weigh in on which one I should use, I have a pair but they each have different air flows!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 12/12/16 at 16:58:16

I think either muffler will work ,each is going to flow the same amount of gases .What is most critical in the exhaust system is the length of the header pipe, for a 650 the length is said to be between 30 and34 inches,I believe suzuki set ours at 32 " (to reverse the pressure wave which travels back up the just before the exhaust valve closes to extract exhaust gases and help pull in a fresh fuel charge)A ryca type adapter should not move the length outside the range ,if it did I would think you could shorten the header slightly .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/12/16 at 17:29:32

Sauvage,

I used an adapter designed by, Dave and it is longer than the Ryca Adapter, but performance improved with the change to the Dyna so I am not sure if the length affected performance or not.

It would be better if the adapter was shorter because the holes in the muffler support bracket did not line up and I had to re-bore.

Here is a picture of what I had a local muffler shop form for me.

I am a firm believer in using Genuine Harley Davidson Exhaust Clamps.

Kenny G

IMG_0385_005.JPG
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 12/12/16 at 17:31:00

Here is the adapter before installing.

Take your new muffler and header to the muffler shop when you do this project.

Kenny G

Muffler_Adapter_002.jpg
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 12/12/16 at 21:33:06

Thanks Kenny, I saw that one of yours which inspired me to get one made. I'll get it as short as possible but I think even with no adapter I'd need to put another hole on the bracket. Do you know offhand what the correct angle is, I've seen it as 5, 6,  7, and 10 degrees. I was going to go for 6 degrees. Did you use any muffler sealant or is it not necessary with a good fit and proper dyna clamps?

btw the Dyna rail pretty well lines up with the OEM muffler rail so I cannot see how it's possible to get two bolts on the rail if it is pushed back even 3 inches because you can't use the middle part of the rail as it has an enlarged area to get the bolts in. How far is the rail on your dyna extending past the bracket on the bike? Do you have two bolts really close together or Is one bolt enough?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #11 - 12/12/16 at 22:46:40

Sauvage,

I think I asked for 6 degrees but I am sure a few more degrees will not kill the installation.

I ended up boring just one hole in the muffler hanger bracket and the installation is quite solid.

I used Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer, but I am not sure that it is 100% necessary. I wanted to eliminate after firing and was trying to make certain that I had no exhaust leaks.

I made the saw kerfs with a hacksaw,  and I cut a bit too long. Put your Harley Clamp over the adapter and mark the adapter before you make the kerfs. Better yet, take the clamp along with you to the muffler shop as there is a good chance that they will have a machine to notch the adapter for you....

I have one pic attached of the finished installation.

If you didn't get the carriage type bolts with your muffler pick them up at the Harley Shop when you get your clamps....

Kenny G

Kenny_G_Heat_Shield_002.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:24:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler shield removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.