Send Topic Print
Godspeed John Glenn (Read 34 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Godspeed John Glenn
12/10/16 at 12:01:49

"John Glenn must surely have wondered, as all the astronauts weathered into geezers, how a great nation grew so impoverished in spirit.

Our heroes are old and stooped and wizened, but they are the only giants we have. Today, when we talk about Americans boldly going where no man has gone before, we mean the ladies' bathroom. Progress."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Godspeed John Glenn
Reply #1 - 12/10/16 at 12:17:51

He stopped being a hero to me when he lost the ability to understand that the People have rights.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 12/10/16 at 12:56:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/16 at 12:17:51:
He stopped being a hero to me when he lost the ability to understand that the People have rights.

I grew up and lived my whole life in Ohio (Canton) and we, of course, loved John Glenn because he was also from Ohio.

But, after hearing him make several advertisements for Obama back in the 2012 election made me throw up.  He tried to portray Obama like he was an old fashioned mid-American guy who grew up on baseball and apple pie.  We all know now, and I knew then, that Obama was the farthest from that portrayal as anyone could be.

No, I have almost zero respect for John Glenn!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 12/10/16 at 13:08:22

Was John Glenn a hero......
Absolutely.
However, that worship was directed to little boys.
It wasn't malicious of intent, or sexist, it was simply the way things were viewed then.
What sets democracy above all the other systems of governing is that our foundational documents are not a manifest of maintaining a ridgid alliance to historical compliance.....
In other words it allows for its citizenry, through all levels of social class, race, gender, beliefs, to extend, ammend, and encompass all with the pursuit of happiness.
Restricting anyone from that pursuit, based on any of the freedoms granted by those documents, will invite objection.

It seems this is a crossroad to where we are now, as a nation, if this last election proved anything.
The challenge to a electoral which has stood all this time, might be under assault.
Impinging on the rights of one group, to grant another group, their pursuit, will result in neither.
When a free press becomes corrupted, and truth, subjective....
We have left that high road of honesty before wants.

We can elect others to decide of what we should already know, keeping the divisions sepearated and liquid, with resolution never being realized, or......

Well, I am done preaching  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 12/10/16 at 16:36:50

However, that worship was directed to little boys.
It wasn't malicious of intent, or sexist, it was simply the way things were viewed then.

The news of his exploits was not Aimed at anyone. If it was more exciting to males than females would be attributable to a couple of things.
He was a guy. Once upon a time, he had been a boy. So, boys could easily relate. That doesn't mean No girls saw it and dreamt of one day being an astronaut nor does it mean every boy gave it more than a passing thought. I didn't. I thought
Cool! Look at what machines they can build! He didn't DO anything that the equipment couldn't do. He was just the First.
Someone else would have if he had never been born.

Studies have been done, people who were determined that Their boy wouldn't act like a violent hooligan gave him Barbie dolls and anything and everything But cap pistols and electric trains, and boys rip Barbie dolls to pieces and use the parts for pretend hand grenades.

Children behave the way they do Not because the toy manufacturers create things to inspire that behavior, rather, they manufacture what they manufacture because of demand.
Not Every boy wants a GI Joe. I never wanted one. Cap pistols were cool for about five minutes. A water gun was much more realistic. It SHOT something.  
My sister was four years older, and couldn't even begin to shoot my bow and arrow I had at age five.
I know a boy, seven years old, nicest kid, very intuitive with people, and has about zero desire to build, operate, ride anything..  I know a girl who is seven and will climb and take chances, Behaviors and gender can GENERALLY be seen as
Boys do this
Girls do that
And there are exceptions to that normally, generally true statement. Some real Tom boys grow into spectacular women...  And some very successful husbands and fathers grow up out of those cautious, introverted boys.

Glenn was never a HERO to me. He was the guy who proved the engineers had it going on. I held him in high regard until he showed me he couldn't read the Constitution that he swore to uphold.

Ohhh how exciting! Look, they're flying over the NASCAR track! Ohh, lookie! It's the
Missing Man formation...

Now, that crap is aimed at young men. Propaganda, pure and simple.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 12/10/16 at 17:15:08

I held him in high regard until he showed me he couldn't read the Constitution that he swore to uphold.

Why, what did he do?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/10/16 at 17:18:47

He became a gun grabbing liberal.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 12/10/16 at 17:47:40

That is disheartening, I'm sorry I asked.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 12/10/16 at 18:20:44

I also,  believed, John Glenn was  a  HERO.

A  Brave,  Courageous, Up Standing   American.
Who,  Truly,  believed in, 'Truth,  Justice, the  American Way',
in  REAL LIFE.

Until he, believed that, The    Country,  the  Constitution, meant  nothing !

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/16 at 17:18:47:
He became a gun grabbing liberal.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/10/16 at 19:33:49

A cliche', come to life.
From hero to zero...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 17:27:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Godspeed John Glenn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.