Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
suzuki savage ls650 sparking problems!! (Read 435 times)
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

suzuki savage ls650 sparking problems!!
12/09/16 at 15:32:01

hi there my names tom and iv recently started buying and selling motorcycles for the last year or so and iv never joined up to a forum ever since i started riding 10 years ago. so here goes iv been sat on a suzuki savage ls 650 1994 model for the past 6 month bought it from a friend of mine that pretty much did all the work on the bike and decided he needed quick cash so i bought it from him and hopefully turn it over for a small profit. when i got the motorcycle it would only turn over via the solenoid as he had some wiring to tidy up which he said he would do at a later date. WHICH NEVER HAPPENED! so after i got repair jobs out of the way and other projects i put my head into it and solved the wiring up towards the top end near the headlight  what a nightmare different coloured wires meeting other coloured wires due to internal wired handlebars so it was a case of touching wires to c what happens Angry at first there was only highbeam and parking light then got lowbeam eventually also two short yellow wires which connected together. plug the rest in in side headlight all worked apart from theres no horn on the bike leaving only one wire which usually theres two as far as i no so.... bike on hit the start button NOTHING!!! clearly never worked on the button or maybe solenoid was snookerd with jumping it?? only clicking via the solenoid and the main black square relay under where the tank goes.( when i took plug from the relay 6 pronges on relay.  6 wires but two going into 1terminal (blk and white) so only 5 terminals going into a 6 pronge relay??? also there is no block connector going to the cdi there all individual terminals connecting to each pronge?? Huh so...... new battery replaced the solenoid with it clicking BOOOOOOM! IT TURNS OVER ON THE BUTTON ...... BUT STILL WONT START!!! checked all electrics with multimeter ht lead, coil readings everything seemed fine. bypassed all switch clutch,side stand switch, nothing works with kill switch off when turned back on everything turns fine i even pulled all the switch gear apart cleaned the start button,spring and points of contact.checked the kill switch with bulb tester pen all fine. on bulb lights up off bulb is out . soo replaced the coil came today. got into the garage tonight put the coil on ( aftermarket one)!!!! cant see why i wouldnt get a spark AND YET AGAIN  no spark!!!!. so if theres anybody out there who's took the time to read this i appreciate it and would like your opinions maybe there;s something some motorhead nos what i dont or what the problem maybe or has had similar problems with one of there 650's didnt no f all about these until i bought her.now i could name every size bolt thats holding her together lol. coool ride safe brothers!! and thanks again!!! Cheesy

« Last Edit: 12/10/16 at 07:39:04 by bobbertom »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: suzuki savage ls6 sparking problems!!
Reply #1 - 12/09/16 at 17:23:23

BT,I think you need to go through the electrical system,you can find diagrams in the Technical References  section (to the right one page back)under electrical. you also need to check the battery voltage when the starter is engaged ,if the voltage drops below 10volts the motor turns over but the voltage is to low to provide spark.You can jump it off another vehicle's battery (don't have it running ,you'll fry the bike)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/09/16 at 18:23:43

Shoot ether into the intake
Check battery voltage While the Start button is lushed.
If it won't try to run on ether you either don't have spark or compression.
Report findings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/10/16 at 01:47:12

Ok guys iv stuck battery on charge I will check voltage when button is pushed in when fully charged. The most annoying thing is when I got the motorcycle it turned over great and ticked over fine. Before it stopped starting up when i eventually attached cables to the bike i kicked it in gear and it instantly cut out could this have anything to do with it? I thought that would be electrical,switches ect. Bikes always in neutral when I trying starting also the bike does go through all the gears so it's just getting her to spark.  I did read on the internet that the decompression solenoid could cause starting problems but iv never had to deal with one so as that got anything to do with it too? I'll update later and thanks for reply. Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: suzuki savage ls650 sparking problems!!
Reply #4 - 12/10/16 at 08:22:58

WWW   IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/10/16 at 12:02:11

Update!!!! Hi lads battery been on charge with trickle charger readings of 14.4v 0.87 amps. Fitted to bike and multimeter reading of 13.5 key on stayed steady at 13.5 hit start button drops to 10.2 then shot straight back up to 12.3 12.4 and held at that. Key off and starts climbing to 12. 4. 5 .6 so I was thinking should I start pulling connectors of terminals out and clean them all down? Or strip the harness? Thanks.regards tom :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/10/16 at 12:21:31

start button drops to 10.2 then shot straight back up to 12.3 12.4 and held at that. Key off and starts climbing to 12

When the voltage
Shot straight back up
were you still holding the Start button down?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 12/10/16 at 12:40:24

When you had the bike running and then dropped it in gear,if the sidestand was down the bike would shut off .(that's how it works ) you have to have it up before putting it in gear. The idle on these bikes should be 1000rpm at least to have oil flow to the cam,and don't let it idle sitting on the sidestand ,as oil will not be delivered evenly to the valve /cam and cause damage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Mr.T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tega Cay, SC
Reply #8 - 12/10/16 at 14:34:18

A battery at rest, sitting at least 15 minutes off the charger, will read 12.6 volts when fairly new. It should not drop under 10.5 during the starting cycle. If so, replace. This, however,  has nothing to do a running bike as it runs off the stator, not the battery. Unless the stator or the wiring is wonky.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
  IP Logged
Mr.T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tega Cay, SC
Reply #9 - 12/10/16 at 14:42:51

Also, agree with Batman: If the bike is in neutral, kickstand down, clutch pulled in, it will start and run. In gear, kickstand up, clutch in, it will also start and run. Kick down and in gear , bike will not start or run.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
  IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/10/16 at 16:06:36

i dont no were youve got me saying sidestand was down i always kickmy side stand up before kicking in gear as thats how my motorcycle. i ride works. everytime iv tryed sidestand is up iv even left the switch bypassed to be on the safe side. if i have said iv left it down i apologize. yes it dropped for a second to 10v then stayed steady whilst the button was pressed in at over 12 v

IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/10/16 at 16:22:27

very much doubt its the battery this is the second one iv got for this motorcycle . it was the old battery before any of this happend that started the bike. . after the starting problems what occured  resulting in having  to replace the solenoid ,coils i replaced the battery too with it been sat awhile. thats a good point tho bike was ticked over alot on the sidestand? thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/10/16 at 17:16:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/16 at 12:21:31:
start button drops to 10.2 then shot straight back up to 12.3 12.4 and held at that. Key off and starts climbing to 12

When the voltage
Shot straight back up
were you still holding the Start button down?

IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/11/16 at 11:01:30

Yes that's with holding button in. Meter stayed  at 12.5

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/11/16 at 13:57:23

Okay, you SHOULD have spark with  that voltage.
Shoot ether under the seat where the intake snorkel is.
If it bucks and snorts, you have a fuel problem.
If not, your spark plug might not be good.
You can pop the side tin off and open up the air filter to shoot ether in, and you can check out the air filter.

Do you have a timing light?
You can check to see if the coil is firing the plug.
There has been enough done to question whether you are getting spark. If it's never run since you started working on the wiring, you should prove you're getting spark. I don't pull the plug for that. I Want the system burdened with the compression. I stick a plug in the plug wire and ground it.
In your case, I'd be happy to see spark on the plug that is in it, first,

But I would start with ether.

If you have emptied the carb bowl or it's been sitting long enough to evaporate, put it on prime.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › suzuki savage ls650 sparking problems!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.