Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goodbye Geek Box, Hello Wide Cateye Taillight (Read 113 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Goodbye Geek Box, Hello Wide Cateye Taillight
12/09/16 at 12:17:47

I just wanted to share this as I found it really easy to retrofit. Also it is a little brighter than stock.
The downside is it extends past the edge of the fender and it is entirely plastic.
But it's cheap too so if you back into something or get rear-ended it isn't going to bankrupt you should it need replacing.

It will fit into the holes already in the mounting bracket on the bike but you'll need to fab some little metal tabs for the studs.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400165

Hope this will be useful to those who also loathe the OEM brake light atrocity  Wink

Note: changed link to proper product...

brakelight.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Goodbye Geek Box, Hello Wide Cateye Taillight
Reply #1 - 12/09/16 at 12:18:30

backside details...

brakelight2.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/09/16 at 12:43:11

Mike,

The light looks good.

Did you do the turn signals, or were they on when you bought the bike?

Kenny G

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 12/09/16 at 12:50:38

Thank you
When I got the bike the turn signals were trashed. I rigged something up to get it past inspection but it was a clugey job at best. What you see in the pic is the 2nd rendition. I used some 1" by 1/4" aluminum stock that I bent with my bench vice and then drilled for the mounting bracket and then for the stalks and the wires.

Also I measured the position for the stalk holes so the lenses of the turn signals and the brake light would be on the same vertical plane.

The signal lights are Chris Products
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/306-812
Very solidly made and gorgeous finish. When I get around to it I will order matching lights for the front too.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/09/16 at 12:53:43

Mike,

It looks like you do nice work.

Kenny G

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 12/09/16 at 12:56:52

Thanks Kenny. It's honestly pretty toungue and cheek for now. Don't have much for tools or a garage to work in so I do what I can with what I've got. Time limits me too. I'm real busy so this little project took me almost a week to get done simple as it is. That aluminum bend was tough without a proper bending brake - took 3 attempts to get it right  Shocked

Another angle..

Forgot to mention it - there's a spacer between the aluminum signal bar and the OEM bracket. The two bolts through the bar go through some 3/4" hard rubber equipment feet like you find on an old toaster oven or similar appliance. That helped with getting the lenses aligned as well as providing a bit of vibration reduction. Those rubber feet will likely crush before the bar bends in the case of the bike falling over - I hope...

taillight-2.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 13:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Goodbye Geek Box, Hello Wide Cateye Taillight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.