Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stainless nuts (Read 103 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
stainless nuts
12/08/16 at 17:09:29

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get my hands on stainless steel nuts and spacers for the front and rear wheels ( preferably not too expensive ) I am sick to death of watching things rust in front of my eyes  Shocked - anyway thanks for looking

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: stainless nuts
Reply #1 - 12/08/16 at 18:35:55

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/09/16 at 03:02:48

If you are talking about the axle nuts and spacers....that could be a problem.

The only thing on the front axle are spacers, and they are not going to be available from any hardware store supplier.  The front axle spacers have shields on both of them to help protect the wheel bearing seals, and one spacer has a widened area to distribute the clamping load onto the fork leg.

The rear axle has a nut with a nylon locking insert - you might be able to find that in stainless and it will likely be about $ 12 - $ 20 for a stainless locking nut that big.  The spacers are not going to be available from a hardware store.

Somebody with a lathe could build you some stainless spacers - but that would be pretty expensive.

You could have your spacers powder coated, or re-plated for a reasonable cost......or a can of silver spray paint would likely hold up pretty well if you want to do it really cheaply.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 12/09/16 at 03:21:17

I made this one for my bike out of aluminum. Lighter, won't rust, and I made it a captive spacer by putting a lip on the edge where it lives inside the seal. Now the spacer stays in place for the wheel R+R.
Found a titanium real axle nut on Ebay. Light, won't corrode, and pretty.
All the stuff is doable, just not cheap to buy or easy to make (unless you have some machine shop equipment).
Check the Eastwood catalog. They have all sorts of aerosol products that might work for you. Not as good as plating, but a whole lot cheaper.

Captive_spacer_and_OEM.JPG

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/09/16 at 06:02:23

For some reason the Savage seems to corrode easily.  When I was looking for my first used Savage, I looked at several and I was surprised to see so much corrosion on bikes with very few miles on them.  Even bikes that were parked in a garage near the overhead door would corrode from the moisture they got when the overhead doors would open and close.  The aluminum often had the corrosion under the clear coat, the inside of the tool box cover and painted side covers was rusty, the spoke nipples were rusty, and even the plating on the spokes was dull and grey colored on most of them.

I looked at a lot of $ 2,000 bikes that had corrosion and rust, and I finally decided that I would spend a bit more and get a clean bike....I found a really nice one for $ 2,700. It extra cost was worth it to me, as appearance is something I worry about on my Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 12/09/16 at 13:07:28

Best place is McMaster-Carr Online at mcarr.com I think.  I have dealt with this company for over 20 years and not one problem.  It carries everything and their online catalog is very easy to navigate.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 12/12/16 at 21:47:16

Thanks for the help guys - a friend of mine has got a lathe he said we could have - mind you its in his basement  Shocked so moving it is a bit of problem - but thats what we're all about  Smiley so I suppose it looks like making the spacers myself is the solution.

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 12/13/16 at 03:20:51

Gung ho Steddy! Learning how to use a lathe is amazing  Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:25:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stainless nuts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.