Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Pleats on oil filter (Read 810 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Pleats on oil filter
Reply #30 - 12/18/16 at 21:44:36

I think the best point made here, one that did not occur to me is the micron rating.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #31 - 12/19/16 at 17:35:58

Sometimes I think the whole micron thing is a sales gimmick. Obviously you want the filter to catch all the garbage flowing through your oil but at what point do we say enough already? The smallest of particles that float by the bearings won't hurt anything. If the particle is smaller than the bearing clearance then it will never scar the bearing. Just replace the filter when you're supposed to and you're golden!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #32 - 12/24/16 at 06:11:52

Kris01 wrote on 12/19/16 at 17:35:58:
Sometimes I think the whole micron thing is a sales gimmick. Obviously you want the filter to catch all the garbage flowing through your oil but at what point do we say enough already? The smallest of particles that float by the bearings won't hurt anything. If the particle is smaller than the bearing clearance then it will never scar the bearing. Just replace the filter when you're supposed to and you're golden!

Whenever there is clearance on one side of the bearing for that "little particle" to pass, there is the other side where that little particle could do a lot of damage over time because there is less space.  Micron is important per the specs of the original mfg.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #33 - 12/24/16 at 06:16:21

Kris01 wrote on 12/18/16 at 20:08:03:
piedmontbuckeye wrote on 12/17/16 at 06:00:09:
No matter how you do it, the number of pleats does mean more surface area providing the depth of each pleat (as mentioned by someone above) is the same.  This provides more surface area for the oil to flow through.

If you stretch out the filter media and make it flat, you can find the area of the media. If you fold 5 pleats in it, it's the same area as folding 100.

Not true!  If the pleats are a different size then your description would be true, IF and only If, the overlap is the same!

Assuming the same size (sq. inch-wise) if each pleat, more pleats has to yield more surface area for filtering.  Less pleats means less surface area for filtering.  It is a matter of physics.  Check it out.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 12/24/16 at 14:54:59

Only 2 bad oil filters

The one that doesn't get a timely replacement

The one that get a timely replacement but gets installed backwards

Really guys oil wars are ten times as interesting !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 12/24/16 at 17:45:19

piedmontbuckeye, take a sheet of paper and fold it as many times as you want. It's still the same single sheet of paper. Now leave it flat. The surface area is still the same. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Different brands/part numbers may have a smaller/larger filter area.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 12/24/16 at 18:53:16

And the microns, let's not forget about the microns.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #37 - 12/26/16 at 03:59:36

Kris01 wrote on 12/24/16 at 17:45:19:
piedmontbuckeye, take a sheet of paper and fold it as many times as you want. It's still the same single sheet of paper. Now leave it flat. The surface area is still the same. That's the only point I was trying to make.

That same sheet of paper folded different ways doesn't have the same "exposure" to filtering! Did you ever take a physics class?

That's the point I was trying to make!  

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #38 - 12/26/16 at 04:45:23

Oil filter or air filter . Use them. That's all.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #39 - 12/26/16 at 05:39:50

NAPA "Silver" "Pro-Select" and WM "SuperTech" meet warranty requirements. Anything more is overkill.

I had an early 70s Volksagen Beetle that had no oil filter, I ran that car for nearly 200,000 miles and traded it. it was running great when I let it go.

I spent years on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) looking for the perfect oil and filter....
I came to realize the perfect oil and filter was the one "on sale".
Conventional oil, cheap brand name filter and regular changes - you'll never wear it out. Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #40 - 12/26/16 at 06:46:03

Papabear , you are so correct. To bad nobody here gets it, eyes that don't  see, ears that can't hear and a mouth that, ok you get it , I've already been moderated twice in this dumb topic.

Change you oil & filter as per manual with whatever you like and it should last awhile !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #41 - 12/26/16 at 13:04:20

Papa Bear wrote on 12/26/16 at 05:39:50:
I spent years on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) looking for the perfect oil and filter....

I came to realize the perfect oil and filter was the one "on sale".
Conventional oil, cheap brand name filter and regular changes - you'll never wear it out. Wink

I partially agree/disagree.  I think that oil and filter may be the most important part of maintaining anything.  However, my motorcycles have been different for me.  I want to do as best I can.  I agree, that the so-called "super filters" and some of the super-additives, are more than likely over-kill and probably throwing money down the drain.

But . .  keeping the oil clean (both changing often and using a reputable oil filter) is the best way to keep this thing running great.

I plan on keeping this bike for the rest of my life (hopefully another 10 years or so!) so I will do extra oil changes, and use the best appropriate oil and filter I can find!  Nothing is too good for my toy!  PS Please don't tell my wife I said that!!!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #42 - 12/26/16 at 14:12:16

I finally came to realize that whether I agreed or not didn't alter the simple truth.

The truth set me free .....  Tongue

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #43 - 12/26/16 at 14:55:18

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 12/26/16 at 03:59:36:
That same sheet of paper folded different ways doesn't have the same "exposure" to filtering! Did you ever take a physics class?

Ok, this is starting to lead into an argument. I'll make one point and then I'm done with this topic.

The pleated element in the filter housing is exposed to the oil. ALL of it! The entire thing filters. Area is area no matter how many times you fold or bend the same sheet.

An oil filter, well...filters. Use a quality brand with a good reputation and be content in knowing your engine will last a long time. I'm not too concerned with the who filters the smallest microns mumbo jumbo. The garbage filters will weed themselves out of business. I stick with tried and true.  Smiley

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 12/26/16 at 15:14:55

Ok lets totally beat the dead horses head in.
You are both wrong,neither of you accounted for how much the filter media swells when saturated with oil ! Now go back and do it all over ! I almost think cheapnewbie has a hand in this one ! Grin    adolf

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pleats on oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.