Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Pleats on oil filter (Read 810 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Pleats on oil filter
12/07/16 at 23:21:47

Sorry to be so anal about this but you know how it is. So I didn't want to pay $25 bucks for another Suzuki oil filter because they are way overpriced here in OZ, I can even buy the OEM's cheaper from the UK including shipping! So I bought a pack of 3 for less than $30 they are suppose to be made in Germany. Anyhoo, the Suzuki LS filter I removed had 120 pleats, and these ones (although the whole thing seem well made) only have 80 pleats. For reference my GS500 K&N oil filter has 100 pleats but it's a deeper filter.

Tell me I don't need to be concerned. This is the second oil change not counting the initial 1000km change. Using synthetic 15W50 as it's super hot in the summer here in Queensland and not cold in the winter. Also the bike does seem to run very hot I'll be checking the plugs soon.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Pleats on oil filter
Reply #1 - 12/07/16 at 23:26:28

Sauvage,

I don't think the number of pleats means anything other than the difference in manufacturing equipment and techniques.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 12/07/16 at 23:52:43

I always ran HiFloFiltro oil and air filters. I believe the oil filter was HF135 or 137. Anyway look them up. Around $5-6 here in Mississippi.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/08/16 at 03:28:02

The number of pleats is relative to the surface area of the filtering media.  The larger the fold count....the more filter material there is.

How many pleats are too few - I dunno.  They probably all flow fine when new, as the filter paper becomes dirty, the one with more pleats will be able to flow the oil with less restriction.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #4 - 12/08/16 at 05:15:46

Number of pleats AND DEPTH OF PLEATS will give surface area of filtering material.

Use your new filters with confidence.

The Suzuki dealer here in Canada charges $5.95 for OEM filter.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #5 - 12/08/16 at 09:39:27

Bear,

That is about what I pay at a dealer here in Texas for the OEM filter.

I change my filter every time I change oil but I don't think that often is totally necessary.

When I change oil in a motorbike I drain the oil into an aluminum pan, I then allow the oil in the pan to remain in-disturbed for an hour and then dump it into a gallon jug for recycling. I look at the pan for any sludge that may have accumulated. If there is no sludge in the pan I know the air filter and oil filter are doing there job.

Back in the olden times the BSA Gold Star did not have an air filter, nor an oil filter, and we changed oil every 1000 miles. When one changed oil there would be a layer of sludge in the drain pan.

Kenny G

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/08/16 at 09:42:43

A bit off topic here, but have you experienced any clutch slippage or hard shifting with the synth oil? Most of us use Rotella T, which works fine. Some wet clutch bikes don't work well with synthetic oil.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 12/08/16 at 10:09:53

Dan,

I only have 7000 miles on my S40 using the Rotella Synthetic and so far there is no evidence of the clutch slipping.

I understand if the clutch starts slipping a change to Rotella Dino cures the clutch  slipping problem within a few miles.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 12/08/16 at 10:17:01

The pleats are for capturing grease worms , more pleats the more worms you catch !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 12/08/16 at 11:25:30

Running 15w50 isn't helping your bike run cooler ,you'd run cooler running 15 0r 10w 40 ,and your motor would still be protected.50 weight doesn't flow as well ,and causes the motor to run warmer ! 40w, will dissipate heat better.(we've seen this before).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/08/16 at 11:45:56

Batman is probably correct about the oil. It sure makes sense to me anyway. You also need to make sure your ignition timing is correct and that you are not running lean.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #11 - 12/08/16 at 15:20:09

@HAPPYDAN, as far as I know synth is fine as long as it has not friction modifiers. I've been using on my gs for the past 15,000kms with not the slightest problem re slippage.

@Ruttly, at the initial oil change there were lots of grease blobs in the filter, but just one small one on this 6,000km change

@Batman, I ended up using the 15W50 Silkolene Comp 4 because that is what I was using on the GS and I wanted to use the same oil, seeing as they are both 30 year old bikes and the GS runs very cool. I guess it's a bit of a trade off because it's really really hot here for about 6 months of the year the rest of the time it's mostly hot, except when it's warm. I might go to a lighter weight though next oil change just to see if there is a difference because synth is supposed to keep it's viscosity better anyway.

@ditz, ha, after reading up in timing I don't even want to think about it.

I'm waiting for delivery of a motion pro feeler gauge because it was so difficult checking the valve clearances last time with normal gauges, I'll check the plugs then.

FWIW, this is how Fuchs replied to my question about their oil.

Silkolene Comp 4 grades already contain ZDDP, the use of extra additives is unnecessary and we would not recommend it. There are minimum phosphorus levels required for the JASO MA2 standard that our oils meet - therefore you can be sure that any MA2 registered oil will have at least 800ppm phosphorus, and this is always delivered in the form of ZDDP. The typical level of zinc for comp 4 is 1000ppm, phosphorus 900ppm.  

Kind regards

Ajax Yhap
Automotive R+D Chemist

FUCHS Lubricants (UK) plc

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #12 - 12/08/16 at 15:38:57

Sauvage,

Try ordering the filter for the DR650.  They are the exact same filter as  for the S40.  They may be cheaper to buy as there are so many DR650 bikes around.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 12/08/16 at 16:51:54

There isn't anything you need to do about timing, but Ditz is correct that if you haven't checked your spark plug or adjusted your carb,you could be running lean which will also make you run hotter.(carb is set lean from the factory to meet admission standards) .It's fine to stay with synthetic oil as they could care less about temps as high as 500F ,but I'd still think you'd be better off with 40 weight.with 50w you may have an increase in oil pressure ,but you have a decrease in oil flow,and oil acts as a coolant in any air cooled motor.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/08/16 at 18:35:28

FWIW..  I mentioned this in some other thread...

KN-137 filters can be found on Amazon for $5.17 each as an "add-on" item. That means if you order $25+ from Amazon you can add on the oil filter for 1/2 what auto parts stores charge.

I installed this filter at the break-in oil change,  then ordered 2 from Amazon when ordering some other stuff. Working fine, so far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pleats on oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.