Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Pleats on oil filter (Read 810 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Pleats on oil filter
Reply #15 - 12/08/16 at 20:18:06

OK batman, I've been thinking about a dyna muffler for a while so if I'm going to rejet I suppose now is a good time to do it. If I just put a dyna on as it is, (a baffled dyna) what effect would that tend to make it leaner or richer or not do anything.

2. What do I need to do to enriched the mixture. Do I need some sort of a complete jet kit, or just a main jet, or just some fiddling around with the carb? I've copied this huge post on rejetting from docs.google which has apparently been culled from this forum but it covers too much information that is not relevant. I've completely stripped the carbs off my old bmw and rebuilt them so I feel comfortable in tackling a carb rebuild but I'm hoping to just do something and that it will be right first time. Is that too much to ask? Am I going to have to fiddle with jets, and pull it apart a few times to get it right?

thx

batman wrote on 12/08/16 at 16:51:54:
There isn't anything you need to do about timing, but Ditz is correct that if you haven't checked your spark plug or adjusted your carb,you could be running lean which will also make you run hotter.(carb is set lean from the factory to meet admission standards) .It's fine to stay with synthetic oil as they could care less about temps as high as 500F ,but I'd still think you'd be better off with 40 weight.with 50w you may have an increase in oil pressure ,but you have a decrease in oil flow,and oil acts as a coolant in any air cooled motor.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 12/08/16 at 21:04:29

There's a good chance you will have to at least change the main jet , but don't put the horse before the cart! first ,all the screws are JIS, that is Japanese Industrial standard, they look like Phillipshead  but the depth of the X is much shallower and using the wrong screwdriver could strip the heads .carefully read the tech. section 1) idle mixture screw 2)white spacer mod 3)testing your main jet ,you can do all of these with your stock motor. If you go to the Harley muffler you will need to revisit all again.I cant advise you about jet sizes or how many washers to do the spacer mod or wear your air screw needs to be ,and we don't even know your elevation.THat being said, if you do these carefully your bike will run like a different animal and we won't be able to slap the smile off your face!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #17 - 12/10/16 at 00:04:53

@Batman, OK, I've ordered a JIS screwdriver and I may as well do the dyna mod first so I don't have to do it twice, will pick one up and do the three things you suggest after I attach the dyna, will prolly happen Jan next year. No doubt I'll be posting about it when that occurs.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #18 - 12/10/16 at 11:25:31

15w50 won't give you any problems at all. It'll be fine. I'm using it (penrite hpr diesel 15w50,  fwiw) and I'm not concerned. My savage is only 31 yo and runs like a clock. Touch wood. I also didn't have to rejet or do the spacer mod for the loud pipe, but it might be different for your brand new bike. Not looking forward to another Adelaide summer here.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #19 - 12/10/16 at 12:39:19

@gizzo, I'm not really concerned at the oil weight especially as it's in the manual and it ragingly hot in brisvegas too, but your vintage would not have been set to run lean from the factory. I'm going to whip the plug out when my new motion pro feeler gauge gets here then I'll report back. I hope it's not glazed. Every single new LS I looked at with a few thousand k's on it had blue pipes.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #20 - 12/10/16 at 12:46:58

Kenny G wrote on 12/07/16 at 23:26:28:
Sauvage,

I don't think the number of pleats means anything other than the difference in manufacturing equipment and techniques.

Kenny G

The more pleats means more filter surface area as the paper is larger thus folded more to fit into the same space.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #21 - 12/10/16 at 13:44:22

Buckeye wrote: "The more pleats means more filter surface area as the paper is larger thus folded more to fit into the same space".

The only way that you can prove that point is to take 2 filters apart that have a different number of pleats on each and measure the length.

I have done this, admittedly the filters are used filters, the lengths of the paper are almost identical.

The paper was about a thousandth and a half thicker on the filter with the least number of pleats.

I rest my case.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 12/12/16 at 21:19:24

If your pipes are bluing ,If your a mountain man your running rich,if your a flatlander your running lean. If your between sea level and 1000ft elevation your lean!If you put on a dyna muffler your running leaner!running rich may make your plug need cleaning,running lean makes your bike run hotter,increases wear and burns valves,which do you choose?(I was broke once ,now I prefer to be a little rich) Cheesy

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #23 - 12/13/16 at 01:37:02

@Batman, the pilot screw was 1 and a half turns out, I turned it out to two and it increased a little in rpms, but turning it more did nothing at all, so the jet is definitely too small, the Suzuki shop said the oem pilot was 50 so I ordered a 52.5 on the way and they said that the OEM main was 145, I went to order 147.5 but they said the next one was 150 so I might have to check that because there is supposed to be a 147.5 but they said there wasn't!? But if the dyna is leaner still prolly the 150 will be good.

Anyhoo, just turning the pilot out that extra 1/2 a turn made a big difference, (the gf was impressed) cooler and idles better. I'm right at sea level hear, in fact it's just 2 minutes away.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #24 - 12/17/16 at 06:00:09

Kenny G wrote on 12/10/16 at 13:44:22:
Buckeye wrote: "The more pleats means more filter surface area as the paper is larger thus folded more to fit into the same space".

The only way that you can prove that point is to take 2 filters apart that have a different number of pleats on each and measure the length.

I have done this, admittedly the filters are used filters, the lengths of the paper are almost identical.

The paper was about a thousandth and a half thicker on the filter with the least number of pleats.

I rest my case.

Kenny G

No matter how you do it, the number of pleats does mean more surface area providing the depth of each pleat (as mentioned by someone above) is the same.  This provides more surface area for the oil to flow through.

I assume your filters were different brands, and thus some of the difference.  Also, you didn't mention how much "overlap" each had.  Any overlap would reduce the surface area to less than what would be the surface area if the paper were "stretched" out flat.

There are two main issues with filters.  A filter's micron rating - the smallest particle that can pass through it. When I worked as a purchasing agent for a nationally known plastics injection company (that had over 75 HUGE hydraulic machines in each facility) we used to order some filters with a 5, 10 or 15 micron rating.  The smaller the number the more it filtered out.  However smaller micron rating means less oil flow.  Therefore, increasing the surface area of the filter material (like putting in pleats) allowed for oil flow and still filtered out down to the specified micron.

The other issue with filters is oil flow.  If you filter the oil well, but starve the engine (or whatever) you will still not be sufficient.   Therefore increasing surface area will accomplish this.

My guess is that the two filters you tested were differing brand with differing mfg. procedures.  However the one with MORE pleats (assuming the depth of each pleat is the same) will provide  more filtering surface!

Years ago, after the plastics company job, I did some research (most of the details I have forgotten) for the micron rating for the filter in my car.  Most automotive related filters do not even specify micron.  However, if my memory serves me correctly I think the standard auto filter was 15 micron.  Going to a smaller micron might get more particles out, but could starve the engine's critical components, and going to a larger micron would not filter out enough of the contaminants.

Check it out!

I rest my case!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #25 - 12/17/16 at 20:37:27

I don't know how many pleats my girlfriend's skirt had but what was underneath was always delightful. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #26 - 12/18/16 at 05:00:04

norm92de wrote on 12/17/16 at 20:37:27:
I don't know how many pleats my girlfriend's skirt had but what was underneath was always delightful. Smiley

Why take this to the slimy gutter?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #27 - 12/18/16 at 13:16:37

I think a sense of humor is required.

Filters are pretty cheap, Suzuki engines are certainly not. The gutter may be where you end up if you put a compromised filter on your bike. Smiley

I like the idea that the warranty is supplied by the same company that made the filter.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #28 - 12/18/16 at 14:49:25

I purchased my last one from my local Suzuki dealer, and I agree with you.  It cost me around $8.00 and that isn't too much in my opinion.

However, I am sure there must be some cheapie replicas out there.  I would however, purchase one by a brand name such as Fram if they make one.

By the way, also, I just purchased a few months ago my Suzuki, and I wanted to do the oil change (even though I was told it was just done) for my own piece of mind.

Does anyone know what size the cover "O" ring is (in conventional numbering of o-rings) and also the inner one that seals the filter itself to the engine.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 12/18/16 at 20:08:03

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 12/17/16 at 06:00:09:
No matter how you do it, the number of pleats does mean more surface area providing the depth of each pleat (as mentioned by someone above) is the same.  This provides more surface area for the oil to flow through.

If you stretch out the filter media and make it flat, you can find the area of the media. If you fold 5 pleats in it, it's the same area as folding 100.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pleats on oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.