Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cover gasket????? (Read 103 times)
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch cover gasket?????
12/07/16 at 06:41:54

RTV of sorts has become widely used in automotive applications in place of gaskets on aluminum case mating surfaces. Is there any reason to not do the same on this joint? Maybe it has been tried by some of the experienced fellas on here?

I am sorry if this has been covered amongst all the great tech threads that are here but I did do a search and did not find anything. I have been reading up on lots of this stuff but I have covered noways near all of it yet. What a great site. [img][/img]

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Clutch cover gasket?????
Reply #1 - 12/07/16 at 06:46:30

From the factory the engine only has RTV at the center of the engine cases, and where the head cover goes on the cylinder head.  The factory does not use RTV where they have installed gaskets....and conversely they do not use gaskets where they have used RTV.

I suppose you could use some RTV to help an old gasket work if you use it over again - but by doing so you are certain that the gasket will be torn apart the next time you take the cover off.

I use RTV or gaskets as the factory made them - however I often apply a small amount of RTV where the electric wires exit the case for the neutral light on the right side, and the charging circuit and ignition on the left side. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/07/16 at 10:17:42

Thanks Dave
I was hoping that I could just use RTV instead of worrying about getting a gasket with is probably fragile. I know that Borg Warner uses RTV on transfer case covers and they don't seem to have a major leak problem or Ford would be standing on them real hard. The closest Suzuki dealer is 45 min. each way if there is not traffic issues.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/07/16 at 11:22:57

The top of the clutch cover gasket has a channel where oil flows on the way to lube the cylinder head.  You would need to seal both sides of this channel, as any leaks could limit the flow of oil to the head......and if any of the RTV comes loose - it could clog the small passages and ruin the oi flow to the head.

See the oily looking passage at the top of the case in this photo?  It is the channel that oil flows in.  The factory gasket has some sealant applied to it in this area to help ensure a seal.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/07/16 at 11:27:43

and note the "L" on the left handed crank nut.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/07/16 at 11:45:23

and note the "past expiration date" on the cam chain tensioner!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 12/07/16 at 12:39:58

Order a new gasket online and have it posted to you. Waiting a few days for delivery beats sitting in traffic  for a couple hours and costs a lot less too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/07/16 at 12:48:23

gizzo wrote on 12/07/16 at 12:39:58:
Order a new gasket online and have it posted to you. Waiting a few days for delivery beats sitting in traffic  for a couple hours and costs a lot less too.

and they might not have it in stock any way.

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 12/07/16 at 13:46:35

gizzo wrote on 12/07/16 at 12:39:58:

Where online?  Is there a "best place" or an online dealer that specializes in online parts for us?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/07/16 at 13:53:06

Bike Bandit, Motorcycle Superstore, Ron Ayers, Suzuki PartsHouse....eBay - they all get the job done.

IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/07/16 at 14:23:17

I just ordered the Raptor and all 3 sizes of the clutch push rods and the recommended jets after a muffler change and it all had to be ordered by the almost local shop. The only thing they had in stock was the spark plug and this dealer is a big shop. I will say the parts man seemed to know what he was doing and he was quite helpful. Really a pleasant change from the normal kind of service found in most places. I did not order a gasket yet. I can see where RTV would be risky and not worth the risk but if done correctly I am sure it would work. A very thin bead would be required and I am not sure it could be done properly by hand. It is done by machine on the production line and it can be controlled quite well. Thanks fellas.

« Last Edit: 12/08/16 at 12:18:38 by ditz »  
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 12/07/16 at 18:39:48

verslagen1 wrote on 12/07/16 at 11:27:43:
and note the "L" on the left handed crank nut.

Left handed threads?

Righty loosey, lefty tighty? No, I'm not dyslexic!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cover gasket?????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.