timing (Read 119 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
timing
12/06/16 at 17:20:19

We've talked about almost every faze of the motor except ignition timing , If memory serves me right ,I believe one of our members said he advanced his 3%. Years ago I advanced timing on cars (stock) by 2% with good results, and wonder if it would help our S-40's. Again I believe I read that our ignition is fully advanced at 5000 rpm which seems early for motor that redlines at 6500 rpm. This might be what leads some to think we have a governor .I guess what bothers me about even trying this is the fact that although the stock timing is fixed,do to the pickup coil being driven of the crank,our valve timing is forever being retarded due to cam chain wear,and I don't know how this might come into play.As always I'm just tossing this out for discussion ,kind of and early Christmas present.(does this make me a BAD SANTA?)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: timing
Reply #1 - 12/07/16 at 16:45:04

Someone came up with a very clever strategy to compensate for the chain wear/cam timing issue.
That's all I remember..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/08/16 at 03:45:57

JOG.....it was Armen.  (You most likely have to much stuff from the Tall Table stuck in your head to remember this kind of stuff).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1476554649

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/08/16 at 12:08:35

Thanks everyone! My thought was if I could use Arman's valve timing advance tech. combined with moving the igniton pickup coil (one or two degrees),I might raise the torque peak slightly,that combined with intake tuning might create a motor that would run well to 65mph and with the intake tuned pull nicely to about 75/80 mph in a passing situation .

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 12/08/16 at 13:43:21

Batman,
Armen's trick is pretty clever. You would have to play games  to get what you want.

Let us know if you get anywhere.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 12/11/16 at 12:43:45

Well Norm ,it's my time of year to play as I've got a foot of snow of snow on the ground (second storm,66" so far ,more to come) and today the high hit 29F .If I get anywhere it won't be 'til the merry merry month of may! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:34:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › timing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.