Send Topic Print
My only day off (Read 169 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
My only day off
12/04/16 at 10:16:46

Saturday was my only day off, busy day planned but all I want to do is ride. Go order parts for the tracker, go order parts for my pick up , ride no
Wife has shopping list,pet store,Walmart,2 different grocery stores ,ride no
Wife says back yard needs mowed can't find the chihuahua, told her to get a taller dog, whoops now I'm in trouble, mow yard, in trouble sun is going down getting cold, oh screw it grab helmet & gloves & keys push tracker 2 houses down   Push the button I'm gone ! Dumbass me in shorts & t shirt but I don't care I'm free , the great escape kinda thing, can't get rid of my grin , man it's cold , but I'm free and cherishing every second , local PD slow down look normal, yeah right, now johnny law is climbing up my butt,
Still grinning he turns , I'm still free,out on a dark farm road ,hit high beams & finally get fifth gear, really grinning now, head home.
Wife asks was that fun freezing you butt off as she hands me a hot coffee ,
YUP !!!

« Last Edit: 12/04/16 at 12:31:54 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: My only day off
Reply #1 - 12/04/16 at 11:06:36

Welcome to the club.... Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 12/04/16 at 11:25:12

Long Term , Member in Good Standings

Got to pay your dues before you ride !

Up at 3,gone by 4:30,start at 6,work till 5,home by 7,dark when I leave and dark when I get home

Day off,Ride even if only for an hour,Big Grins,I love to ride !!! Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/04/16 at 12:17:06

Ruttly wrote on 12/04/16 at 10:16:46:
Wife says back yard needs mowed can find the chihuahua, told her to get a taller dog

Grin Grin Grin

I'm in the same boat. Dark when I leave, dark when I get home. Around here they roll up the sidewalks at dusk so there isn't much traffic. I don't mind the cold so much (I can dress for it), it's the wild animals jumping out of the bushes at night ya gotta watch out for!

Ride safe!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 12/04/16 at 17:05:47

Yeah I would hate to hit a black angus cow ( the all black ones) they are huge would be like hitting a parked 50's Caddilac ! Those back country farm roads are really DARK,fun in daylight to haul azz but got to be careful at night ! Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/05/16 at 01:57:27

This time of year and the lack of daylight makes it hard to get anything done outside at home during the week.

My neighbor is a roofer - says that he works from: "Can't see to can't see".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 12/05/16 at 06:49:15

I like the holidays but I hate this time of year. I understand why people get so depressed! I would go nuts if it snowed here!  Then I couldn't sneak in a ride on my day off !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/05/16 at 07:24:47

Warmest day of the week today so I rode to work.  It was 32 so not too bad for December in the Rockies.  I didn't leave the house til 6:30 this morning so it was already getting a little light.  It was my first ride with my new 7" headlight but the real test comes on the ride home when it will be truly dark.  
Left late because I didn't realize it wasn't in the 20's and no precip in the forecast so had to go back upstairs and change into my base layer and fleece lined jeans.  
Wife was still getting dressed and asked "You riding the bike instead of driving the truck?".  Yep  Cool

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 12/05/16 at 10:04:59

Tocsik , You are braver man than I ! But I guess your use to it better than me in California Central Valley about 40 is where I drive instead of ride.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/05/16 at 10:45:43

It was about 40 on Sunday morning, and I rode my bike to the early service.  I didn't get too bundled up, as it is only a couple of miles.

For long distance rides......50 is about as cold as I want it to be and I have to bundle up - I don't own any heated gear.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 12/05/16 at 10:49:28

Ruttly wrote on 12/05/16 at 10:04:59:
Tocsik , You are braver man than I ! But I guess your use to it better than me in California Central Valley about 40 is where I drive instead of ride.

I've been here for about 21 years but only back riding since '08.  I try to ride year round as long as the night didn't fall into the teens and/or there's no snow or ice on the roads or possibly falling by the end of the day.  As I've entered my 50's I find the lower threshold is creeping a littler higher  Huh .  
Grew up in San Diego (East county) but didn't ride there after my bad accident at age 17.  Hit by a car, flew over it and landed on my face. Tongue

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 12/05/16 at 19:47:15

OUCH !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/06/16 at 12:25:58

Tocsik wrote on 12/05/16 at 07:24:47:
It was my first ride with my new 7" headlight but the real test comes on the ride home when it will be truly dark.  

So.....how did the new 7" headlight work?

Did you use the LED bulb?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/06/16 at 12:54:49

This reminds me, my Barcalounger uses the same bulb as the Savage does (same headlight assembly too).    Too faint by far, better can be had !!!

We all went with the Sylvania Silverstar back what, 10 years ago -- what is the current best drop in bulb for a stock headlight assembly ????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 12/06/16 at 13:18:01

The new headlight seems good.  I need to shorten the mounting brackets by a lot, though.  I didn't want to drop the fork tubes so I ordered these brackets from Dime City Cycles.  They are really well made but a couple inches too long.  I'm going to try and shorten them and reshape the ends and hope hitting the cut ends with clear coat is enough to prevent rust.
I went with this bucket from Dime City and this Hella reflector.  I couldn't find a Candlepower reflector with a replaceable bulb for a decent price so Hella or Cibie seemed like good choices, too; Cibie is hella more expensive than Hella.  The one I bought doesn't have a bulb shield so it was easy for the LED.
I've only run the LED from ADVMonster in it so far and it seems to be a good bulb for this setup.

OF - I think you have to choose the trade-off of longer life or brighter light.  The higher end incandescent bulbs are reportedly short-lived compared to their lower cousins. That's why I decided to go ahead and try the drop-in LED Dave found.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 02:21:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › My only day off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.