Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain adjuster (Read 62 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Cam chain adjuster
12/03/16 at 15:15:44

I have read through the thread on the modified adjuster by Verslagen (?) and plan on purchasing one before next riding season.

Here, though is my question that I haven't seen any discussion on:

I read a reference to, and had a person over the phone mention, the fact that the adjuster has some sort of ratcheting mechanism that will hold the cam chain tight (and sometimes too tight throughout the thermal expansion/constriction cycles).  Is there a pic somewhere that I can see how this mechanism works?

Thanks in advance!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Cam chain adjuster
Reply #1 - 12/03/16 at 16:05:56

I have one in my S 40.... There is NO "ratcheting" action. It is spring loaded as is the factory adjuster.  The factory unit will reach a certain length and separate causing catastrophic engine failure. Varsi's will NOT come apart and has an additional adjustment hole.    
You can see pictures of Varsi's adjuster in the "Marketplace" section.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 12/03/16 at 17:00:05

I'll save you the trouble!  Grin
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338489898

Verslagen's adjuster allows for you to use the full life of the cam chain. The stock adjuster maxes out and comes apart before the cam chain is stretched. He also adds a provision for the adjuster stay together and not separate and move around the engine causing damage.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 12/03/16 at 19:11:05

PMB,
There is a ratcheting mechanism on the cam chain tensioner.
If the tensioner pawl has taken up a tooth on its ratchet when the engine is cold. The thermal expansion of the engine, which is about .025" between the camshaft and the crankshaft is too much for the system to accommodate. The poor cam chain is under tremendous tension at this point and will only be relieved when the chain stretches a bit. This happens whenever a tooth is taken up on the ratchet mechanism when the engine is cold.

You can see the tensioner on 'The Motorcycle Handyman' which can be downloaded from our website.

I believe Verslagen has come up with a fix for this problem which should help to extend cam chain life. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:37:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain adjuster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.