Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coleman mini bike (Read 177 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Coleman mini bike
12/02/16 at 04:09:10

Well, I went down to Wally World on Cyber Monday and picked up a new toy. It's a Coleman CT200U mini bike. They had them on sale for $400 and from all the reviews I'd read, I knew I had to get one. It's got a 196cc, 6.5HP engine with some really sturdy racks on the front and back. Even with everything stock, it'll go about 25MPH so I figured I could tinker with it when I'm not working on the S40 and maybe get 10-15MPH more out of it. But even if I only use it a couple of times a month, it's still worth it.

My parents were always too protective to buy me one when I was 10 or 12 but my best friend down the street had one and he'd let me ride on it every now and then. Of course, I was about 125 lbs lighter back then too.

I mean really..... $400. What do I have to lose?  Shocked

coleman_ct200u.jpg

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Coleman mini bike
Reply #1 - 12/02/16 at 07:16:12

RaleighGuy

I just got one of them too !  Cool

I'm not sure how fast it will go but :

If ya sit on the back of the seat ---  Shocked --- don't just jerk the throttle open .
    you'll land on your butt !   Grin

The only problem I found so far is , ya have to use the brake going down hills.   around my place tats a real concern .   I'd like for the rear drum break to last a long , long , time . Wink
So
I'm thinking of putting a roto-tiller (loose belt / tight belt) system on it in place of the centrifugal clutch . (engine brake ).   Take that "drive-unit" cover off and you'll see how easy the conversion will be.  
Also , I looked at the Torque-Converter option , but don't know how the engine brake would work with that ???  My neighbor had a "Rupp-Mini bike (5HP) with a tork-converter, well it would spin the tire in gravel taking off and still top-out about 45 mph w/the pulleys fully converted   Huh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272370201955?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

I've got about 5lbs of air in the tires and it rides smooth .  Wink

« Last Edit: 12/03/16 at 20:44:39 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 12/02/16 at 09:17:19

That's awesome, MM. Now I know who to go to if I need any smart advice. Yeah, I know what you mean about the clutch being pretty simple. I've already pulled it off so I could put some grease on the shaft and keep it from pulling me too much when it's idling.

** no dirty jokes about greasing the shaft, please!! **

And I forgot about the tires. I'd read on Oldminibikes.com that letting most of the air out (even down as low as 2-3lbs of pressure) will result in a smoother ride. Since the things ain't got no shocks at all.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 12/02/16 at 18:06:30

I always found the front ends to be really weak on mini bikes.  If you jump, be careful.  You might end up face-planted in the dirt with the front forks broken just below the bottom tree.

Congrats on the new bike.  They are lots of fun and easy to use as around the farm utility transport.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 12/03/16 at 20:54:46

Well
I'll ansure the question about engine brake w/torque converter soon.  
I ordered one from the link above.  Should be here in a week.  
I watched "how to install One on u tube"  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/12/16 at 20:32:11

Well the torque converter is installed .   It doesn't allow for "engine-braking going down hill at slow speed.
But
It did make a tiny little 1.5" drive pulley and a 6" driven pulley to start off with and a 4" drive pulley and a 3"(+-) driven pulley to top out with.  
So now it will spin-out taking off and top-out fast enough to make my eyes water from the wind. (kinda scarry going that fast on that little thing).  I'd guess about 40mph.  Tongue

It took a lot of modifying to make it fit .

If it came in a 30HP version and added to a 5 speed tyranny  then a LS-650 would be a Super Slab Dream .   About 3000 rpm its fully converted .  Wink

torque_converter.jpg

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 12/12/16 at 20:44:20

Just what everyone needs is a Hot Rod Coleman Minibikes !  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 12/12/16 at 21:04:56

Yea buddy !  Grin

Saturday I helped a neighbor get his cows off my wooded hill-side.   So , he had two to get.   He shot them both two times with "knock-out" darts One went down and we loaded it no problem .   The other one (750lb steer) just got drunk and went for a stroll.  I followed him all over the woods, up and down the hill and through the reveins  .   Some of the trails were so steep I walked beside the Coleman and let it help me up out of them.  Tongue
That steer was running "stiff-legged" and having a great time !  Grin

The concern was he would take his nap somewhere where we couldn't find him or get to him with the tractor.   But he ended-up , hog tied and hanging up-side-down from the front-end loader for a trip to the cattle trailer anyway.  Wink   It was a "Hoot" ...  Grin

RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 12/13/16 at 04:30:51

That's good news that the torque converter worked so well. I don't think I'm gonna go that route because I need to slow my Coleman down, not speed it up.

See, I've got a grand-daughter named Elizabeth that will turn 4 this summer. I'm hoping in about 1-2 more years she will be interested in riding something a little more powerful than one of those battery powered Powerwheels cars that you see all the time in Target and Walmart.

When that time comes, if I can talk my daughter into letting Elizabeth ride the mini bike around our cul-de-sac and in the back yard, that would really make some great memories for both of us. Who knows, maybe someday in the next 10+ years, she will want to ride a big bike.

IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/13/16 at 08:15:27

I am looking to invest in a vintage minibike myself. Good info about the torque converter. It must act a little like one of the auto variable speed auto trans. I'll have to look into that. I don't any real use for one. I just want it and never got one as a kid.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 12/13/16 at 10:04:28

RaleighGuy

take that granddaughter to a wide open space ... my son just barely missed my truck on his first ride on it.  
Yea , sat on the back of the seat and pulled it wide open !!!  Shocked !!!!
Its funny now but it wasn't at the time.  Embarrassed

It takes off a lot SMOOTHER now.  

I also adjusted the throttle cable to open the carb up all the way.  It takes some RPM's to make the converter convert all the way , so , the top speed is adjustable with the throttle cable.  Wink  
But the 1.5" drive and 6" driven pulleys take off really nice.  

If ya get to make the ride to Tn. sometime , you can take it for a test run.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/22/16 at 07:43:16 by MMRanch »  

RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 12/14/16 at 03:47:35

MMRanch wrote on 12/13/16 at 10:04:28:
take that granddaughter to a wide open space ... 

Will do. Won't be hard for me to find some place like that. I live out in the boonies where there are tons of 'baccy fields and HUGE tractors taking up both lanes of traffic occasionally. I think we've got some old softball fields nearby that hardly ever get used.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 12/19/16 at 19:55:02

Like MM says, take a child rider to an open grass/dirt field and turn 'em loose. The problem with mini-bikes and go karts is the child's head is about the same heighth as a car or truck bumper. Small crashes can be serious.

But I got to buying up D30 Doodle Bugs last year. Strip them down and repaint. Going to do a pretty bright yellow one for my neice. And no, I did not say "pretty". I'm a burley man.  Grin I have an original D30 without the frame dip and a new HF 6.5HP motor for it. I have one running, just got a gas tank for another that runs good, and one with fresh paint "Cherry Red" that needs reassembly. They are a blast to ride WIDE OPEN, but 79cc is not for hills--at least not for old heavy men. Merry Christmas.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 12/24/16 at 20:09:21

So , I took the Garmin for a scooter ride today .  It got up to 38 mph.  The motor sounded like a wide open lawn mower in thin grass !  Grin

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Coleman mini bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.