Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harley Davidson Deluxe Softail Stock OEM Exhaust. (Read 126 times)
michael1962
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Harley Davidson Deluxe Softail Stock OEM Exhaust.
11/27/16 at 10:04:17

Hello everyone and thanks again for all the help and info. I recently purchashed the muffles mentioned above: HD part # 65357-05.  I have 2. Both have 2 mounting screw holes offset and located in different positions.  I would like to know which 1 I should use for the best and easiest installation.  I looked in the dys section but I'm still not certain if I can install these and if so what issues I need to look for.  Also, I re-jetted the main with a 147.5 and adjusted the a/f out to 1 3/4.   I have not been able to do the white spacer mod.(I stripped one of the screws out at the bottom of the diaphragm, Which I need advice also on how to fix.  Undecided .  I am still experiencing back firing on deceleration.  The power through all the bands seems good.  I have a 55 pilot jet and another main jet (152.5) I can in stall .  Should I?  I only have 1200 miles on the bike, a 2015 and am located about 130 ft ASL.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Harley Davidson Deluxe Softail Stock OEM Exhau
Reply #1 - 11/27/16 at 10:32:59

If you have good power thru out the band, then you don't need the white spacer mod.  do it if you have some surging in the mid range with a constant throttle.

all screws on the savage are JIS spec, slightly different screwdriver tip.
but if you give the screwdriver a lot of force into the screw, it'll work ok.
for your stripped screw, apply a little pen oil on the backside to get to the threads.  and use an impact driver if you still have a head.  you need one with a long tip.  if you can't get it to bite, you might try a torx tip.

if you got a muff with the baffle still intact, your jetting might be ok.
follow the jetting instructions in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/27/16 at 10:37:39

With the stock air cleaner and either a stock or Dyna exhaust...you will never need a 155 main or pilot jet.  At your eleveatin a #150 main and #50 or #52.5 pilot jet will do the job.

And you should never jet for what your bike does when you are coasting with the throttle closed......you should be jetting for what the bike does when you are opening the throttle.  You need to learn to hold the throttle grip slightly open when the bike begins to backfire and pop and bang when shifting or decelerating.....never let the throttle slam shut, roll it off and give it just a bit of throttle if it starts popping.  A closed throttle causes a lean condition in the air/fuel mixture, and the bike will be noisy.  This is not a fuel injected bike, and you need to learn how to ride the Savage and avoid the situations that make it noisy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
michael1962
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/27/16 at 11:03:10

Dave, Thanks for the reply.  I rejected because the bike was surging during acceleration.  I replaced the stock main jet with a 147.5 and adjusted the air/fuel to 1 3/4 turns out.  the surging stopped, but the backfiring is pretty constant during downshifting.  I have a habit of raising the rpm's prior to downshifting. A habit from driving big rigs. Should I revert back to stock main jet? sorry for being ignorant on some of these issues, but this is my first bike and It's been somewhat of a learning curve for me.  Thanks again sir!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/27/16 at 13:00:16

Michael,

Post pictures of the back side of the mufflers that you purchased and someone that has installed a Harley muffler on their bike can point out which muffler would be easiest to install.

You are going to need an impact driver to loosen the screw(s) that you refer to in the carburetor .

Kenny G

IP Logged
michael1962
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/27/16 at 15:02:29

Thanks Kenny, Hope this will help. Model # is 65357-05

20161127_145022.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/27/16 at 16:04:21

mike , I used the same muffler ,the easy and most secure way is to buy a piece of flat bar 3/4' wide bolt it to the stock muffler brace,then drill a hole in it to pick up the rear bolt hole on the muffler.I found the 150 main jet works best on my bike it never backfires, and only pops a little on decal (normal for a single) ,I shaved 1/3 of the spacer.(looking at the pic above I used the shorter one,if you use the longer one I would drill for both mounts).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/27/16 at 16:08:53

The surging while accelerating is an indication the bike is lean.  My bike had the lean surge just off idle.....like when you were leaving a STOP sign and were being watched by the Police.....or were just trying to ride slowly through a school zone. - at 1/2 to full throttle my bike ran smoothly, and it idled fine.  I re-jetted to a #150 main, #50 pilot, and then removed the white spacer on the needle and used 3 of the #4 machine screw washers.  I still had the lean surge, and the cure for my bike was to remove 1 more washer on the needle and only use 2 washers.

Setting the idle air screw is not something you do by just counting....it should be set by ear.  You can start at 1.5 turns out from lightly seated.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine still runs well....you pilot jet is too big.  If you have to turn the screw out nearly 3 turns to get the idle smooth...the pilot jet is too small.  You never want to turn the screw out more than 3 turns - as the tapered portion of the needle is completely out of the hole and not doing anything.  Mikuni says the ideal pilot jet is the one that runs best at 1.5 turns out - I am OK with up to 2 turns out.....however the bike will likely run a bit better if you use a pilot jet that is one step bigger and requires you to have less than 2 turns out.....however you should be able to hear the bike begin to go lean as you get less than 1 turn from seated.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to set the idle fuel screw.  Our bike has a "fuel screw", and turning the screw out makes the mixture richer (some carbs have an air screw and turning the screw out makes the mixture leaner).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpQjDQzX7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 11/27/16 at 20:23:21

If the longer one physically fits it might keep the rear brake lever from getting sooty.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/27/16 at 23:15:22

Air leaks make backfires.
Check the header bolts and joints.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
michael1962
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/28/16 at 06:29:13

Thank again everyone for all the awesome help! Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:30:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Davidson Deluxe Softail Stock OEM Exhaust.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.