Camping (Read 198 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Camping
Reply #15 - 11/22/16 at 02:49:58

If I'm bike or surf camping it means I don't have to cater for my wife and kids. In that case, I usually take army rat packs that come with the little hexamine stove and a pannikin plus utensils. Too easy. Not luxurious but I don't mind roughing it when the fam aren't along. Its just fuel for the body.sleeping, I use a lightweight biker swag with thermarest mattress. No tent, no cooler none of that s...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 11/24/16 at 06:02:56

I just bought me a Hennessy Hammock, it is a combination hammock/tent.

I liked camping a lot when I was "younger" but as I've had back problems  getting up and down after laying on the cold hard ground is getting to be frustrating and painful, I have had enough pain Smiley

I put it up in the back yard to test it but it is limited to 7-12 foot base for tying up to trees and I have two trees in my yard and they are 20 feet apart.
It ended up sagging down about 3 feet from hip high to about six inches off the ground. ( I used some tie down straps added to the tree straps they have )

You can set it up on the ground with a little creativity, but I think my two smaller motorcycle straps will work in a pinch and add about 10 feet on each side.

It packs up into a bag about ten inches around and twelve inches long, and depending how good you are at knot tying, it can be set up in about 2-4 minutes easily.

Can't wait to try it out next year on a couple of the outtings we have.... even if we have cabins, I will bring it to try out and show you folks what it is.

JoG, look up a couple of the backpacking sites online and see what folks take, they tend to be "minimalist" and I have found lots of good info on youtube backpack camping too.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 11/24/16 at 06:48:11

Bill

I've wanted to try one of them out too !   Roll Eyes

I'm thinking "Ratchet-Strap" , on one end.   Is that what you did and it still sagged 3-feet ?

That whole idea is the opposite end of the " Idea-Spectrum " than the 8'x10'x72" tent that I use now.   One side of the tent for me ... the other side for the bike ..  Grin

« Last Edit: 11/24/16 at 08:04:20 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 11/24/16 at 08:07:25

I had a ratchet strap on the one end... I was told they sag slightly anyway and they recommend tying them really tight at least eye level or there abouts, and that is with their string and straps (which do not ratchet). I did end up putting two straps... (watched my video) but sagged the same I believe.. here is the video.. long and misquoted the distance and being new to hammock tent stuff... total newb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46rx-gzdXaY

Mine probably sagged so bad because of the distance and having two straps... one would probably sag less...

It was still comfortable and I had a nice afternoon nap after putting it up Smiley
I got woken up by the kitty rubbing against the bottom LOL...

And you can order bigger "rain flys" that go over top and would probably be enough to cover a bike if you parked it close enough.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #19 - 11/24/16 at 08:37:59

I found a short video on how to pack one up.

It came with covers that go over the mount ropes and pull over the tent like a snake shedding its skin , thus "snake skins" named.

They feel like a giant condom LOL and make putting the tent up and taking it down real easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZnsCQO6V8

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 11/24/16 at 08:45:20

The bowstring is not holding your weight, it's for keeping the fly and net off of you.
The main ropes and hammock have to be tighter to keep you hiney off the ground.
So loosen the bowstring so you can tighten the straps.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 11/24/16 at 08:56:27

I did not see where you could loosen the bow-strings... they look to be fastened in with the hammock ropes...

I had it so tight I thought the bow string would snap....

I'll unpack it this week-end and see if I can figure a way to do just that.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 11/24/16 at 18:36:59

MM , I guess the bike will hold the tent down if it gets real windy.
I love my bike but I won't sleep with her.
Just what do you & your bike do in that tent ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:29:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Camping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.