Send Topic Print
Camping (Read 198 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Camping
11/19/16 at 03:32:26

I'm, of course, short on space with the bags I have. A pack of sorts behind me is in the planning stages.
My question is more about equipment. I've got a super cot, and a chair and table I'm looking at and a tent in storage I need to test.. but cooking, I'm needing clues on that stuff..
And I don't want teflon or soft aluminum. I heard anodized aluminum doesn't pollute the food.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Camping
Reply #1 - 11/19/16 at 04:53:54

Are you camping off the Savage or out of a car while trailering?   Makes a difference, it does.

Old nylon based tents need to be taken out and put up periodically or they seize up fabric to fabric.   They can be carefully separated in the hot sunshine being careful not to tear them, then relubricated with silicone spray (tire shine for us low ball people).

If you go low ball, sniff your silicone tire shine before you buy it.   Some brands smell better than other brands .....  also carefully review that it REALLY IS silicone tire shine before you buy it.  

A spray bottle of tire shine can re-lube a one man tent like at least 2 times, as one man tents are relatively small.   Spray it and leave it up for a day or so for the lube to migrate throughout the fabric and for the carrier solvent to evaporate well.   Smell gets better over time, as it is the solvent that is smelly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 11/19/16 at 09:21:41

we have
a Dutch oven(the flat lid kind are better)        
seasoned cast iron skillet
small Teflon(?) coated fry pan
enameled coffee pot
aluminum pot, don't use metal utensils on it
enameled and plastic dishes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 11/19/16 at 10:05:13

Thanks for the heads up on the tent. It's been stashed for years.. I Will be careful.
No car, no trailer, just the bike.
I'm planning a short trip pretty soon, just as a shakedown run.
Then, come Spring, Reelthing is supposed to meet me somewhere and we will camp and fish our way to Galveston.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 11/19/16 at 10:56:49

Check out some of the backpacker suppliers.  They have all kinds of trick, compact, lightweight stuff.  

As for cooking, I'm going camping to relax, not cook.  You can cook a lot on a stick with a little imagination, and it's relaxing sitting around the campfire shooting the breeze with your buddies while everyone cooks their own food.  I do, however, bring my camping coffee pot.  

When it's warm, I don't use a tent.  I tie a small tarp from the trees and set up a cot under it.  Much more comfortable than lying on the ground.

Hope ya have a good time. Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/19/16 at 14:00:20

Cast iron skillet is best but heavy, next best is cast aluminum handful of dirt or sand rub it around and rinse in the creek clean up is done. All cook surface coatings come off and in your food,not sure of vitamin/mineral/chemical content of coatings or nutritional value if any!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 11/19/16 at 14:36:49

Cast iron skillet is best but heavy, next best is cast aluminum handful of dirt or sand rub it around and rinse in the creek clean up is done. All cook surface coatings come off and in your food,not sure of vitamin/mineral/chemical content of coatings or nutritional value if any!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 11/19/16 at 15:48:05

There is a wealth of information regarding moto-camping on that link.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/trip-planning.51/

For your old tent, take a look at nikwax.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/productselector/productselector.php

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/19/16 at 17:24:05

You can leave the dishes behind and eat your food right out of the skillet.  A pot and some sort of single burner stove is a blessing.  Camp fires are great but take time to build and then you need a tool or two for prepping the wood and cooking.  A back packing style single burner is fast and you can make that essential coffee in a hurry in the morning.  If you do want to build camp fires I found that the lightest and most useful tool to carry is a small saw with coarse teeth, more useful than a hatchet for cutting up branches you find in the woods.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 11/19/16 at 19:18:57

My departed,oldest,most trusted friend had a Harley Bagger with hard side bags and the trunk above that and he liked to eat. On both sides of the trunk or the rack that supported it was a row of hooks and from the hooks hung pots , cast iron skillet,coffee pot,cups,propane single burner ! All the time not just when on a trip ! It was Big Jims Chuck Wagon guaranteed to turn heads everywhere he went. He was a mountain of a man with a heart bigger than Texas , I miss my friend !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 11/19/16 at 20:58:02

Wink

I believe the best catfish I ever ate was flayed then cooked on a flat rock (limestone) layed on two large burning pieces of wood with a heap of coals between the large wood chunks.  

I was Scout-Master 10 years while my son was in Scouting.

I have several wood burning back-packing stoves that fold up to almost nothing.   They are great and will run a long time on a couple chunks of Match-Light charcoal or twigs of wood.  
Google "wood burning back-packing stoves"    Smiley

My favorite one looks like this but I only payed ?? $30.00 ?? or so for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vargo-T-415-Titanium-Hexagon-Backpacking-Wood-Stove-S...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/20/16 at 17:24:04

Just because I don't have anything to say doesn't mean I'm not reading and thinking and very appreciative of the ideas.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #12 - 11/21/16 at 10:47:15

There are a lot of people on the https://www.reddit.com/r/motocamping that like a Jetboil for making food/coffee. They come in a Zip: https://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Zip-Personal-Cooking-System/dp/B004XCD3ZU which doesn't have auto-ignite and a regular one that does. Most camping stores will have the fuel canisters.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/21/16 at 10:49:21

My thoughts about road trips center around the tent and the air bed and the pillow.   I will munch on the roll mostly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/21/16 at 14:59:02

Im already heavily burdened with metals, cadmium, lead, aluminum, and iron. Chelation is expensive and insurance doesn't touch it. I will not eat out of a can or aluminum.
Cans are lined with a plastic. Stainless steel or cast iron, or a stick or rock..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:29:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Camping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.