Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shell dino Rotella T oil being replaced by Rotella (Read 315 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shell dino Rotella T oil being replaced by Rotella
11/18/16 at 10:41:40

Hi everyone,

This may have already been discussed on the Savage website, but I'm not sure.

I recently went to the local Wal Mart to pick up Dino Rotella T  15w-40 oil as recommended on our Savage website.  I couldn't find it on the shelf.  However, there was a Rotella T4 15w-40 oil on the shelf.  Reading the back of the container, it looked very close to the specs of the Rotella T.

So I called Shell's technical support.  They told me that because of new federal requirements, they were discontinuing Rotella T and replacing it with Rotella T4.  They said that it had some minor upgrades due to federal regulations, but was basically the same oil ... or very similar to the old oil.  The technician said that I could mix both together in the crankcase without a problem.

I wanted to find out from everyone if you have heard this?  And if so, from your perspective, would the 'minor upgrades' to the oil have any negative effect on the Savage bike?  Is it ok to use the new Rotella T4 15w-40 oil?

Open to your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Shell dino Rotella T oil being replaced by Rot
Reply #1 - 11/18/16 at 11:31:10

First question...Does it still have the MA certification on the bottle.  If yes,  then the next question becomes how much did they adjust the zddp levels to accommodate the catalysts and DPF systems that are being put on new "clean" diesels?  

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #2 - 11/18/16 at 13:24:23

Sounds like it might be time to stock up on T3.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 11/19/16 at 09:26:05

Another case of planned obsolescence!  :'(

They're phasing out all the good stuff and leaving us behind!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 11/19/16 at 11:16:37

Kris01 wrote on 11/19/16 at 09:26:05:
Another case of planned obsolescence!  :'(

They're phasing out all the good stuff and leaving us behind!

Yes, and no.  It looks like the T4 DOES have the MA rating, as well as all the heat and shear protection afforded by an HDEO.  The bad news is that we still don't know what the ZDDP levels are.  Hopefully someone over at bobistheoilguy will have an analysis done and we will know if we need to add (more) redline additive.  

Don't despair.....not all is lost! Grin

If they truly are doing away with the Rotella T, now would be a good time to stock up.  Wink

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/19/16 at 11:26:37

Since Rotella Triple Protection dino oil has been well-researched here, I found 8 1-qt. bottles by going to Wal-mart, Advance Auto, & O'Reilly 's. The counter lady at Advance was nice emough to call around the other Advance stores, reserving 2 1-gal. jugs. At 2 quarts per 3000 mile change intervals, that will hold me for another 24,000 miles.

By that time, Shell will probably have re-labeled and/or reformulated Rotella....again! Angry

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 11/19/16 at 11:40:53

Rodger wrote on 11/19/16 at 11:26:37:
Since Rotella Triple Protection dino oil has been well-researched here, I found 8 1-qt. bottles by going to Wal-mart, Advance Auto, & O'Reilly 's. The counter lady at Advance was nice emough to call around the other Advance stores, reserving 2 1-gal. jugs. At 2 quarts per 3000 mile change intervals, that will hold me for another 24,000 miles.

By that time, Shell will probably have re-labeled and/or reformulated Rotella....again! Angry

If I'm not mistaken, Sam's Club still has it in 55 gallon drums.  Grin

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/19/16 at 13:21:14

Hmmm....

55 gallons = 110 oil chages...or 330,000 miles...

Even Oldfeller would still have 1/2 a drum left. Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/19/16 at 13:39:57

TRACTOR SUPPLY carries a lot of Rotella

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/19/16 at 13:58:31

well... wally world is stocked up with t4 gal jugs
so I stocked up with T 2.5 gals... enough for next year anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/19/16 at 16:32:51

According to Shell's customer service, they said that the Rotella T4 has 1300 ppm ZDDP ... which is more than Rotella T, which had 1200 ppm ZDDP.

On the back of the Rotella T4 container, the performance requirements include:  
JASO DH-2, JASO MA/MA2.

I assume all of this is good news.
Ron G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 11/19/16 at 18:08:02

rong wrote on 11/19/16 at 16:32:51:
According to Shell's customer service, they said that the Rotella T4 has 1300 ppm ZDDP

Can anyone confirm this?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/19/16 at 20:51:28

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4226505/%22New%22_Rotell
a_T6#Post4226505

Shell has made over all their oils over into approved CK-4 spec variants, by simply doing what the Gov. wants them to do to meet the new CK-4 standards and requirements --- some of which changes now have to do with diesel CARS and the new CK-4 is not purely 100% truck requirement based as was done in the past.

Shell is not releasing their new formulation's nitty gritty details until after the first of the year, in accordance to the new specific "phase in requirements" of the new rules.

There are questions about other brands of HDEO actually shipping their old oils in the new bottles while in the interim phase in period -- Shell isn't getting into that for much so far, as they are shipping the new stuff in the new bottles, they are just not saying everything about it right at first as they are not permitted to do so until after the first of the new year.    Hey, they feel they cannot say they are "honoring" a spec that hasn't taken effect yet.  

But the bottling lines have to roll and the new bottles are what the bottle machines are cranking out by the 10s of thousands.   The change is upon us, willy nilly.

VOAs are being done by lots of folks as we speak, but not much data has been generated that hasn't been rendered "doubful" by the very odd phase in requirements of the CK-4 changeover.

It would take a VOA on a fresh bottle made after the first of January, 2017 to really have any sort of real hard VOA answers as the phase in period will be over by then.

« Last Edit: 11/22/16 at 07:23:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/16/16 at 10:51:04

Being oil ignorant and a new owner of a S40 which synthetic Rotella and which standard Rotella should I get. I intend to do a couple of quick changes of standard grade oil just to make sure all is well in the innards then switch to synthetic. I am a firm believer in the synthetic for all my vehicles. I started using it about 15years ago. On my old S10 p/u it improved my gas mileage about 20% on Mobil 1.     It is worth every penny

My old S-10 now has well over 100,000 miles on it and the oil pressure is just as high as it was when new.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/16/16 at 18:06:26

For those with curiosity on the CK-4 spec change, here is what you are able to be told about it from Shell right now.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/pc-11.html?gclid=CPCln-qQ-tACFQ_o6Qodv3cDTw...

Ditz, if you like synthetic oil you want Rotella T6 5w40 oil. available at Walmarts everywhere in the diesel oil section.

Dino oil lovers, the stuff for you will be Rotella T4 15w40 Triple Protection.

WATCH OUT FOR ROTELLA T-5 -- it has an oil weight that is not appropriate for Savage uses.

Both items have changes in them to make them withstand MORE HEAT as that is a critical part of the new CK-4 specification.

BE CAREFUL not to buy a "__w30" weight oil product, because some of it will be out on display, for use in diesel cars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:47:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shell dino Rotella T oil being replaced by Rotella

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.