My First Savage (Read 338 times)
Savage_AF
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My First Savage
11/16/16 at 18:03:26

Hello!

First to introduce myself. My name is Alex, I am 26 years old and I live in San Jose, CA, but lived in CT for 25 years. I recently (Sept 2016) took a CHP Motorcycle Training Course and got my M1, so I'm new to 2 wheels. My background is in construction so I have a basic mechanical understanding, but nothing worth writing home about

My tools:
Wrench set
3/8" drive ratchet
Drill
Misc hand tools

I purchased a 1986 Savage, partly due to the knowledge that this forum existed and mainly because it's a cool bike I really wanted to ride. It cold started, idles well in half-choke, isn't leaking oil from the front, only 14K miles and was $1,000 and all the electronics were operational. It needed new tires and brakes.

The day I bought it I was taking it for a lap around my block and the truck in front of me slammed on his brakes to avoid a pedestrian (who saw a can in the road and walked out to get it). The car in the left lane also stopped, I couldn't split the lane quick enough and I ended up between the asphalt and my bike on the left side and slid a bit. The Savage and I got a bit banged up but we came out alright. It was definitely a wake up call to the dangers of 2 wheels and I will forever be more cautious.

New issues due to crash:
-Headlight assembly got wrecked
-Left foot peg is bent
-Turn signals front & back are damaged
-Handlebar is bent
-New tank dents.

I want to make her functional and enjoy riding her. Any help on the following is incredibly appreciated and I would like to thank you in advance. Also if anyone has parts to sell I'd really like to buy them from this community rather than some China site.

So,

I bought a new headlight

I received it and obviously there is a mounting issue with the one-bolt setup which I plan to either make an adapter to the forks or drill thru the cross-bar and put a new hole in the middle. Also, the three wire connections are bullet connectors and the connector to the wire is a molex 3-pin. Can I take the bullet connectors off the headlight and replace them with molex male ends or replace the savage-side with female bullets? I'm a newb about electricity so I don't know if they are interchangeable.

There are OEM headlight assemblies, but they are very expensive but maybe worth it?

Left side foot peg:
-Seems like it should be easy to take out but the pictures should hopefully show there is no bolt on the underside. How the heck do I take this thing off?!

Handlebars:
-The are bent. I wouldn't mind replacing them because I'm 6'0 tall and I think some more arm length would improve my rider operation and comfort
-The controls and grips seem very difficult to remove and after searching the forum this seems reinforced.
-Can I just bend them back in-situ with the controls on? The angles on the handlebars seem like I am not going to get the right leverage to bend them where they need to go, especially without a torch.

I think the signals won't be too hard to replace hopefully I'm not wrong,
-I bought new brake pads and drum shoes.
-I am going to have the tires done by others just for safety

Any advice or parts is greatly appreciated

-Savage_AF

IP Logged
Savage_AF
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My First Savage
Reply #1 - 11/16/16 at 18:11:11

Also, I can't figure out how to post pictures or find the forum topic that explains such, so if anyone can help on that I have pictures of everything  I was talking about

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 11/16/16 at 18:25:46

You were smart to purchase a used bike for a first bike because, as you found out, a first bike will get damaged. Now to get it fixed.

I'd look on eBay for a used OEM headlight bucket. Otherwise you'll have to use a bracket that slides over the fork tubes. The OEM unit has its limitations (such as its small size) so if you have purchased a larger bucket, then you'll need fork mount brackets to make it work.

The foot pegs are attached to the forward-lower engine mount. Remove the bolt and you'll be able to remove the foot pegs.

Replace your handle bars if they are bent. The controls are easily removable. This is a good opportunity to upgrade to better grips, so just cut the old ones off.

Turn signals are removed with a single Phillips head screw. The mount doesn't need to be removed from the fork to replace the signal.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 11/17/16 at 04:16:16

There are screws on the underside of the controls holding them onto the handlebars.

There are several videos on youtube about removing handlebar grips and there might be an article in the tech section. I don't remember for sure on that one.  Handlebars are 1 inch.

Congrats on the bike. Get it back to rideable and enjoy it.  Smiley

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #4 - 11/17/16 at 06:28:08

I have a bar, foot peg, and signals left from my Ryca build. Send me a PM and we can work something out. I'm heading out of town on Saturday for a week so we would either need to work something out quickly or wait a week.

The grips are a pain in the butt to remove. The good news is that I'm pretty sure you only need to mess with the clutch side. The throttle side shouldn't require removal. In my opinion, cutting off the grip and installing a new one is probably worth the money.

The controls themselves are easy to remove and reinstall. Just look for the screws.

IP Logged
Savage_AF
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/17/16 at 08:58:56

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Here is a dropbox to the pictures, I can't figure out how to upload to the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/49wb93nuf8xa2kf/AAClQhna2jq6qtuZJgapV7a8a?dl=0

BSTON- I will PM you. I'll also be away for a week so repairs will resume after that.

The OEM headlight assemblies are $100 on ebay or other sites and that's just for the bucket. I really don't want to modify my forks so that might be my only option. The picture of the new one is in the dropbox, but I don't think it will work.

Again, thanks for the responses so far it has this whole situation looking up!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/17/16 at 10:05:04

That black headlight will prove to be useless, it won't light up anything more than 20 feet in front of you.

I have a stock headlight housing that I will sell your for $50....not sure how much shipping will be.  

You can remove the footpeg by taking the plastic chrome cap out of the pivot bolt, and using an allen wrench to remove the bolt.  A vise, a hammer, and 5 or 6 minutes of work will most likely get it usable again.

Like a lot of folks - I will be out of town next week and I would either have to hustle in the next couple days to get the light shipped out on Saturday before I leave town.....or do it when I get back.

I also have a front fender.....and I can find some bolts that will get it attached.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/17/16 at 10:17:23

No comment on repairs,
Following distance is something you can control.
That
Traffic didn't Offer you an
Out
Is based on where You choose to be.

It's not a sin to slow down and choose a position that leaves you options.

I don't ride behind what I can't see past.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/17/16 at 11:53:17

So everything's done except handlebars.
You're 6', same as me.
I recommend Emgo 1" superbars under $30 inc shipping on fleabay.
You can get them local if you shop around.
You'll need 4 to 6" risers or you'll hit the tank.
Another option is Z bars and you won't need the risers if you get them tall enough.

Grips, 1st time getting them off is fun.  The glue they use is meant to be permanent.  same thing with the loctite on all the screws.
1st stick a phillips screwdriver in between the grip and handlebar.
work it around to break the glue bond, squirt a little wd40 in to help.
if it proves to be too much work just cut it off if you intend to get new ones anyway.  but as far as grips go, they're not too bad.
once you get the glue bond broken you can work on pulling it off.  I stuck 2 more screwdrivers in equally spaced and just twisted till it came off.  some use air to inflate the grip a bit and pull it off.  once I inflated it and it shot across the garage, but that was after I had gotten them off and used grips with ends.  BTW, the chrome ends pull off separate from the grips.

I don't recommend any grip where metal contacts your hand.
kuri-akin iso grips are ok as the rubber is above the metal or plastic.

« Last Edit: 11/17/16 at 13:27:46 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_AF
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/18/16 at 09:03:52

Hey everyone,

Thanks again for the replies. I was able to remove the handlebars with all the advice. The grips didn't prove to be a problem at all and will be reusable; the glue from 1986 was no match for an old dull butterknife. The handlebars are way more bent than they looked, definitely going to swap them out for something else. Also, the video on youtube for removing the bars gave a shoutout to all you guys on this forum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_rckOeqsg

I don't have 10 posts yet so I can't PM, but

-Dave I would definitely like that headlight if you could just send a picture. I don't want to rush you before tomorrow so it can wait until after the holiday if you want.
-BSTON I will let you know after the holiday about the bars and turn signals once I have more money.

My next thing will be trying to make my fuel tank look better. It's all dented and could use a coat of paint as well as the front fender. Shouldn't be beyond my capabilities right?

Thanks again I'm getting excited about my progress!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/19/16 at 10:15:47

Here are the light photos.....it is in really nice shape.

$ 50 for the light, and I believe it will fit in the Medium Flat Rate Box which is $ 13.45 for shipping.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/20/16 at 06:38:22

Savage_AF wrote on 11/18/16 at 09:03:52:
My next thing will be trying to make my fuel tank look better. It's all dented and could use a coat of paint as well as the front fender. Shouldn't be beyond my capabilities right?

If you like red, I'll be selling a complete set of tins and seats from my 96 soon.  A complete makeover in a box.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/22/16 at 03:01:43

IDK what they teach about protective gear in the class, but I don't ride without gloves, and plenty of other stuff, but gloves, for sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_AF
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/01/16 at 09:36:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/22/16 at 03:01:43:
IDK what they teach about protective gear in the class, but I don't ride without gloves, and plenty of other stuff, but gloves, for sure.

Justin, they preach gear in the course and living in CA, helmets are required. I have been riding with gloves, solid work boots and my Shoei helmet. I am going to get a nice jacket and pants too.

Those cages and their operators are dangerous and I know gear is incredibly important!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 12/01/16 at 10:25:28

Savage_AF wrote on 12/01/16 at 09:36:15:
I have been riding with gloves, solid work boots and my Shoei helmet. I am going to get a nice jacket and pants too.

I do not recommend riding with laced shoes - of any type. Laces (the knotted loop or even the exposed lower front) can get caught on foot pegs and foot controls. If that happens when you need to put a foot down, you'll be picking the bike and yourself off the ground. Moreover, laces can get caught in the drivebelt/chain. If you are committed to laces, please make sure that the laces are not frayed and that the knot is tucked inside of your boot.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:38:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!