Time for a new tire? (Read 204 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Time for a new tire?
11/14/16 at 14:38:29

I replaced my IRC's long ago (at least 5 years) with the Pirelli MT66 and have been really happy with them.

I was out riding the twisty's today and they still felt great but when I stopped to hang out I did the penny test on the rear and it looks like it may be time...
Looks like I got a little over 12K on them...does that seem about right?
What have other's gotten on this tire?

Of course the center is where I measured and they aren't flattened there at all but definitely less tread than the sides.
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Time for a new tire?
Reply #1 - 11/14/16 at 16:21:17

Sounds to me that you are doing it right.

All tires are going to wear out more in the centre of the tread, unless you are a dedicated 'earoler': (That's what we called it back then.) Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 11/14/16 at 18:46:02

I also run the Pirellis.  I'm looking forward to keeping them for 12k miles. That's good info!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 11/14/16 at 20:28:50

12,000 is great mileage,but 5yrs. is older rubber ,I'd change tires soon even if they still have some tread life,just for safety.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/15/16 at 04:59:43

This is certainly a personal and financial choice.  If you ride around town and never get too far from home (and friends with a truck/trailer to come help), and if you don't push the limits by riding around corners quickly or riding in wet weather...you most likely can get a few more miles out of the tire.  Riding on a tire for 5 years is at the limit that most dealers and retailers recommend for replacement.  You don't need a lot of tread depth in the center of the tire, and some tires are made without any grooves in the center as water can easily squirt out the sides of the round tire profile on a motorcycle tire.  You should check the tire date code on the tire and see how hold it is, as it could have been sitting around a while before the retailer sold it to you.  There will be 4 digits stamped in the side of the tire somewhere - the first 2 digits are the week it was made, and the last two will be the year.  If you tire is 5 years old it will have something like 4811 stamped on it.

I prefer to order tires in early spring when the new shipments have arrived at the warehouses and the retailers are having sales.  That way I can get tires that are only a few months old, and they haven't been sitting on a shelf for a while....that way I don't mount tires that are already a year old.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 11/15/16 at 12:18:00

That's a good idea Dave, Right now the weather here has been great but we are long overdue for some snow here in the western mtns and I can probably hold off until spring to buy the new tire.
It really does still ride great but yeah...it's old and needs to go. I think I only spent like 100 bux for the rear when I did it 5 years ago so 20/yr is more than getting my money's worth...
thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 11/15/16 at 13:23:46

Oh hey,
One other question...should I go ahead and replace the front also since it's pretty old too? Seems like lots of folks go through 2 rears before replacing the front but that seems counter intuitive to me...

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 11/15/16 at 13:33:37

Hey Bubba,
I def see a fall off in traction as the tires age. Toss both.
With less tread depth, and a dried out tire, you are at risk when it rains. Nowhere for the rainwater to go, and less traction because of the dried out tire.
Tires are cheaper to replace than bodies.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 11/15/16 at 13:37:40

Tru Dat!
Thx!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/16/16 at 08:34:31

My front has 5,000 miles on it,and is OEM, 2002.
Showing slight cupping, the Metzler is in the shop, waiting for my attention. I'm pleased with the OEM performance, I've made a couple of hard stops, no sense of losing traction, it's stable enough in corners to not scare me, but, a split second of Instability , sliding, on the front,  in a corner is the end,  most likely. I'm gonna get it swapped out soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 11/16/16 at 09:16:57

My 2003 still has the original tires , the tread looks good and I see no sidewall cracks.  It has always been garaged , but this discussion has reminded me I am on borrowed time.  Thirteen years is a long time for a tire. I am trying to decide between a 130/80 or 140/90 for the rear and then will replace front and rear soon.
Sad.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 11/16/16 at 09:39:16

sarge ,some times you can see the cracks! go for new. I've been running the 140/90 's for years ,more makers,better gas mileage,and make your speedometer happy. there is plenty of room to fit with no problems that I know of.

« Last Edit: 11/17/16 at 18:20:46 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/16/16 at 10:27:38

Sarge wrote on 11/16/16 at 09:16:57:
Thirteen years is a long time for a tire. I am trying to decide between a 130/80 or 140/90 for the rear and then will replace front and rear soon.
Sad.  

Yes, thirteen years it too long.  I recently rode on a 2002 with the original tires, and they would slip if pushed hard in the corners.

You don't want a 130/80.....you should get a 130/90 if you want a tire almost identical in size to the stock IRC 140/80 - or you should go to a 140/90 if you want a larger tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 11/16/16 at 11:02:18

Thanks Dave.  I meant to type 130/90.  Probably the one I will buy.
Embarrassed

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 11/16/16 at 17:36:01

I went from stock to Metzlers, really a big difference.
Wore those out at about 16000 miles I think.
They cost, but so does a slip.
I was going to replace them with the same, but couldn't wait for my size to arrive so i bought Dunlops.
Half the price, but really happy with their handling.
Have a couple clicks on them now, and it has been soaking here in the PACNORWEST, they stick well, but then again, I'm a slow poke Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Time for a new tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.