Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle trailer trap catches Dr. Smith's bike (Read 304 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Motorcycle trailer trap catches Dr. Smith's bi
Reply #15 - 11/14/16 at 18:36:33

Barcalounger on wheels?  Grin  Man, that looks comfortable! Good going, OF!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 11/15/16 at 06:48:24

That does look like a "big old comfy couch".....and shiny too.

A "Dragon Trip" might result in the first time the bike has seen rain....or a dirt road!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #17 - 11/15/16 at 08:57:35

Dave wrote on 11/15/16 at 06:48:24:
A "Dragon Trip" might result in the first time the bike has seen rain....or a dirt road!

That bike might just stop and demand mats to be put down on a dirt road before proceeding.  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 11/15/16 at 09:18:56

It did do something strange all right -- it asked me to clean the burned in place plastic off its pipes and take some starting actions to get the stickers off the tank.

I didn't wash or polish it although it asked for it, instead I took off the side covers and the seats and rigged a cheater wire to the positive battery terminal for ease of charging (until the male and female adapters arrive and I can wire it up properly).    

I cannot take off the buddy pad, it has the bike's CPU hidden under it.   I find that if I kiss the windshield and toss my leg up from there my toe can sweep in short of the buddy pad and it all works out just fine.

I did find the Dr's current reported trouble which put the bike in Craigslist, a trouble which felt like a strong  intermittent stumble and "popping sounds".    He says it has happened before and costs about $350 to fix (and a week at the stealership while they clean the tank and teardown clean and re-balance the carbs).

Yeah, to me it sounded just like what you get when you need to switch over to reserve ......

Yup, Bike had no gas in it and the fuel pump was sucking air .....

The bike needed:

..... a tank full of fresh gas

..... an overnight slow charge on the battery

..... being taken out on the beltway and exercised some

It came home a contented very happy little bike.    It has been talking to my Savage and it likes having a Daddy that can fix it whenever it needs it.   It's old daddy was nice, but he was a klutz mechanically.

Yes, my Savage is a guy and my Intruder is a girl, so obviously they get along together well and my Savage has even lent her his license plate so his girl can go out and play some today.    

Roll Eyes

..... of course she thinks they're formally engaged now, but I don't think that's what he meant .... he thought he was just being nice.

« Last Edit: 11/15/16 at 16:42:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 11/15/16 at 09:34:17

Rodger wrote on 11/14/16 at 15:09:26:
Congratulations on the new- to-you bike, Oldfeller!

Your strapping job reminds me of my Dad's saying: "Nothing built too strong ever fell down."

[ I called it the "Belt AND Suspenders Rule." Wink ]

The channel is just to hold the wheels straight while loading and unloading.   The common practice (to cinch the front wheel tight against a trailer bed or a chock) isn't good for a spoked wheel set up, so my bike literally floats between 8 straps, in neutral, only fighting against its own suspension spring tension.  

My wheels run true much longer that way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/15/16 at 09:59:30

Ahhhh, I get it. Good idea, not overstressing the spokes. Hadn't thought of that, since last spoked bike I had was the '73 CB350.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 11/15/16 at 17:49:07

The few times that I've trailered mine, I strapped the front end by the forks, not the wheel. What's wrong with strapping the wheel? How would it overstress the spokes?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 11/15/16 at 19:37:35

Lancer can tell you -- straps can put forth a good bit of tension, enough to bend the bed of a pick up truck.  All that force is pushed through the wheel (and the spokes).

I have knocked a front wheel out of true before,
so I avoid that action any more.   My straps are fighting other straps through a solid connection point, with a down force residual that does not exceed what your weight puts on the wheels and spokes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 11/16/16 at 03:22:40

I don't want to derail this thread - but I have always used a wheel chock, or just butted the front wheel up against the back of a truck bed, then used tie downs to the top of the forks.  I have never had any spoke or bent wheel problems as a result.   (However I don't tighten the straps down far enough to collapse the forks.....just enough to make the bike snug and limit the wiggle on bumps).

« Last Edit: 11/16/16 at 07:01:13 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 11/16/16 at 11:18:23

All the 15 year old yellowed hardened WARNING and RECOMMENDED tank stickers are off now and the tank is polished again.

Used the grease trick, applied thickly overnight then left out in the sun to get warm -- worked like a charm as a fresh razor blade could cut through the softened adhesive layer under the sticker like it was thick butter.

Gasoline cleaned up the left over clear adhesive, then I polished it twice (rubbing hard using normal paste wax) to get rid of anything left behind by the removal process.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 11/24/16 at 08:53:42

NICE! My buddy Kevin has one just like it, think his was a 90-something though.... except its so rusty you cannot see the edges of some of his bolts Smiley  He rode it until last summer, his mom (he is 44) decided he needed a safer ride Smiley and got him a new. 900 suzuki.

And if you want to know.... yes it will do 110mph Smiley (indicated)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 11/25/16 at 21:06:39

So , OldFeller

How long are those shocks ?  Huh

If ya end up with shorter shocks , there may be a market for the longer ones ???  Roll Eyes

Is the extra petrol-bags for this bike or your old one ?  Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #27 - 11/25/16 at 22:25:01

Nice bike OF. Congrats. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:23:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle trailer trap catches Dr. Smith's bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.