Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas mileage (Read 117 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Gas mileage
11/11/16 at 14:14:36

I did a search and couldn't find a thread that addressed this question, but I wanted to know what to expect as far as gas mileage? I took an 80 mile trip last week on Sunday, and mine seemed to go for right around 57-58 MPG.

Is this typical, good or bad?

Gas related question:  the manual recommends regular.  I have always used hi test in my bikes regardless.  Should I continue to use hi-test or would it be more beneficial to bike to use regular.  Also, I try to seek out non-Ethanol gasoline, but that it rare down here in South Carolina!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Gas mileage
Reply #1 - 11/11/16 at 14:35:03

Your jetting and air/mix settings will affect your MPG.  If you are at 57-58, you're doing pretty good.  A lot of us that have rejetted to slightly larger jets are floating around 45-ish.

Good 'ol 87 is all we need in this engine.  Many discussions about this.  There is no advantage to premium fuels. If you can get non-ethanol that is always a good idea, but not critical if you are running the bike regularly and not letting fuel sit up in the bike for months on end.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 11/11/16 at 15:10:08

stewmills wrote on 11/11/16 at 14:35:03:
Your jetting and air/mix settings will affect your MPG.  If you are at 57-58, you're doing pretty good.  A lot of us that have rejetted to slightly larger jets are floating around 45-ish.

Good 'ol 87 is all we need in this engine.  Many discussions about this.  There is no advantage to premium fuels. If you can get non-ethanol that is always a good idea, but not critical if you are running the bike regularly and not letting fuel sit up in the bike for months on end.

I did get to the idle mixture screw last week and ultimately backed it out 1 full turn and the engine ran remarkably better and lower end rps's.  I eventually want to take out the jet needle (as I understand it, it only has one notch on it!) and see if possible I can put another notch in it, raising it up approx 1/16th of an inch.  I probably can do it as I am a tool & die maker and machinist.  This should help the lower to mid range.  I rarely run in the high range so main jet should be OK for it.  I want to get the lower ranges first and then evaluate the top range.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/11/16 at 15:20:46

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 11/11/16 at 15:10:08:
I did get to the idle mixture screw last week and ultimately backed it out 1 full turn and the engine ran remarkably better and lower end rps's.  I eventually want to take out the jet needle (as I understand it, it only has one notch on it!) and see if possible I can put another notch in it, raising it up approx 1/16th of an inch.  I probably can do it as I am a tool & die maker and machinist.  This should help the lower to mid range.  I rarely run in the high range so main jet should be OK for it.  I want to get the lower ranges first and then evaluate the top range.

See white spacer mod in the tech section index

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/11/16 at 15:39:24

If you're running sixty plus, pulling away from stops with Any gusto, and getting 55+, I think that's great.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/11/16 at 19:02:21

I was getting 73 bone stock. I've rejetted and it dropped to around 55-60.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/11/16 at 20:20:41

Kris, I've heard you claim 73 mpg ,but if the bike was stock with the 140 80 tire ,even brand new with no wear ,you were probably getting 66mpg due to speedometer error,which is still very good mileage!I've driven the back roads in Tenn. and they're grand ...kind of tail of the dragon,where top speed ran between 35-45 due to all the curves. those slower speeds would also aid in higher mpg.A long trip on the super slab at speed would be a better gauge of true mpg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 11/12/16 at 03:56:48

I get 45 to 50 depending on how i'm riding at the time.  I always try to use no ethanol gas.  The engine just sounds happier on it.

Check the tech section for the white spacer mod. You can sub a couple washers for a white spacer in the carb to change the needle jet position.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/12/16 at 07:57:56

I took 1/3 off the spacer ,run a150 main and get 48to 52-53 ,I run non ethanol once in a while (thinking it might keep the fuel system a little cleaner) but I don't really see or feel any difference in fuel mileage or performance .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 11/12/16 at 11:35:46

This talk of mileage reminded me of www.fuelly.com   Track your mileage and compare it with others.  I used to track mine religiously.  Maybe I'll have to start doing it again.   Undecided

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 11/13/16 at 05:16:39

My question about mileage was simply to see how others with this same bike got so I could find out what to expect in mine.  My old bike got 40 MPG which was the same as my Corolla automobile!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/13/16 at 08:22:33

"For what it's worth...."

2015 S40, box stock, 875 miles on odometer so far, 90% in city, uncorrected for any speedo error

Low of 50.1
High of 59.8
Approx. Average,  55-56 mpg

« Last Edit: 11/15/16 at 15:29:17 by Rodger »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/13/16 at 08:35:26

The 02 with a Stage One cam, unknown but larger than stock main jet, stock idle jet, Dyna muffler is averaging out at a whisker over fifty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 11/13/16 at 10:35:30

batman wrote on 11/11/16 at 20:20:41:
Kris, I've heard you claim 73 mpg ,but if the bike was stock with the 140 80 tire ,even brand new with no wear ,you were probably getting 66mpg due to speedometer error,which is still very good mileage!I've driven the back roads in Tenn. and they're grand ...kind of tail of the dragon,where top speed ran between 35-45 due to all the curves. those slower speeds would also aid in higher mpg.A long trip on the super slab at speed would be a better gauge of true mpg.

You may be right. I don't remember if I changed the tire to a 140/90 yet when I got 73 mpg. I switched to the taller tire not long after I got the bike. Either way I'm impressed with the mileage.

« Last Edit: 11/13/16 at 19:56:18 by Kris01 »  

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 11/13/16 at 11:40:06

I get about 60mpg with my 2014 bike. The bike is stock except for idle mixture and the needle spacer reduced to .075" thickness. Elevation 4000' and as stated all jets are as provided by Suzuki for a 2014, whatever they are, since I haven't pulled the carb to check. I do ride conservatively as is reflected in the mileage.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.