Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve grinding... Not allowed or...? (Read 339 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Valve grinding... Not allowed or...?
11/10/16 at 11:12:10

My exhaust valves looks like they would benefit from being lapped/ground, but... in Clymers manual it says they cannot be ground and must be replaced if defective.

Really? I have to replace them if they are not ok?

Bonus question: how do I remove the valve seal correctly? Just pull them off with a plier?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve grinding... Not allowed or...?
Reply #1 - 11/10/16 at 12:16:06

The valves cannot be ground.  The valves are made very light and thin, and I believe they have a very thin hardening layer applied.  If you grind them the edges get too thin, and they exhaust valves will burn away.

The valve seal pulls off....don't get them crooked and pry, get them off as straight as possible or you can break the valve guide.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 11/10/16 at 13:10:43

Thanks. Seals came off fine. Just did not dare pulling or prying much, when I was not sure how they were fixed in place.

So... If I cannot grind the valves, can I expect a tight seal between new exhaust valves and the valve seats?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/10/16 at 13:17:55

You can lap the seals with "Valve Grinding Compound" paste to confirm they are bedded into the seats - you should not put a valve in a valve grinding machine and take any metal off the valve with a grinding wheel or cutter.

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 11/10/16 at 13:49:34

Ahh, ok...  That was actually what I meant.
Good to hear, since the renovation costs seems to be going up a bit too much to my liking.

Something like this is what I have in mind: https://youtu.be/5a71QWTogmE

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/10/16 at 13:59:35

That fellow is overdoing it.....he said he had been grinding for about 5 minutes!

You just want to scuff the valves in to confirm the valves are seating.  Use a black marker to die the surface of the valve (or Prussian blue if you have it).  Then use the grinding past just until the color is scrubbed off where the valve is touching the seat.  If you have any areas that don't clean up with 15-20 second of grinding - the valve most likely will need to be replaced.  When you begin to grind you will hear the rough sound, then after a few seconds the sound will smooth out - lif the valve up and it will pull the compound back into the surface between the valve and seat, then grind again until the gritty sound goes away.....repeat this just 4 or 5 times and then pull the valve out and wipe it off and look at the valve....it should have a dull silver strip all the way around.

(Mower valves are different - they are thick and heavy and can be ground easily, as there is plenty of material that can be removed).

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #6 - 11/10/16 at 20:52:13

Thanks, appreciate the tips a lot.  ☺️

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/11/16 at 05:54:30

Such technique and advice deserves a place in the tech section.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 11/11/16 at 10:28:02

Don't forget grinding of valve and seat changes installed height of valve !
The seats can be lightly ground if needed , but grinding the valves is asking for trouble , replace them ! Once the valve has been cleaned and checked in guide for wear and your ok with reusing them , just lap them in as per what Dave (SuperDave) described. Lapping valves gives a view of how well valve is contacting the seat. A lot of people don't do it,I guess it's an old school thing,I won't assemble a head without doing it ! And when using lapping compound be very careful NOT to get it on the stem of the valve or anywhere near the guide and wash all parts before assembly and blow out the guides with air !

« Last Edit: 11/11/16 at 14:35:08 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #9 - 11/12/16 at 01:29:35

A thing confusing me here is the word "lapped".

To my previous knowledge and according to translators the "correct" word should be grinding/ground.

It seems that in the context of valves, grinding involves a machine (milling, drilling, lathe) of some kind. Where using a grinding compound to grind valves lightly is called "lapping" the valves and valve seat.

Reason  for writing the above is to better understand this,  and to help others that may find this grinding/lapping confusing.

Please let me know if the above is incorrect.

English is my second/third language,  so...  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/12/16 at 03:14:02

When you grind the valves or valve seats (hardened metal inserts in the aluminum head), you create a new surface by removing metal with a grinding wheel or cutter.  This process leaves some very small grinding marks/scratches in the surface.

The valve grinding paste does not "grind" the valves or seats.....it is called that because the product is used after the valve grinding is completed using machinery.  The valve grinding paste is used to smooth out and remove the scratches the grinding left in the surface.  This process is called "lapping in the valves".

What you are doing is using the paste to smooth the surface and look for imperfections....you are not "grinding" the valves or seats with the paste.

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #11 - 11/12/16 at 05:38:19

Thank you for the explanation.

As mentioned by justin_o_guy2, the subject regarding grinding/lapping valves really should be condensed into a how-to with tips and tricks in the tech section.

I'm willing to try and make a post with a write-up, but guess I will need help from someone to actually place it in the right place and so on.

Should I give it a go, and then send it to.... who?

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #12 - 11/12/16 at 07:43:50

"My exhaust valves looks like they would benefit from being lapped/ground,"

Explain the words "Looks like they would benefit" ....

I would often say something like that just before I open a can of worms that never needed opening  Wink

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #13 - 11/12/16 at 08:39:04

Uneven carbon deposits around the valves and valve stems. I do not intend to just grind/lap away for the "fun"  of it.  Smiley

I intend to check with color on the surface of the valve seat first, then insert valve, rotate it back and forth a few degrees to get a feel of how oval and/or uneven it is. If all looks fine I will not do much if anything.
If however it looks like it's oval and/or uneven I will lap it a bit, then re-check... Rinse/repeat...

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 11/13/16 at 07:58:30

While you have the valves out you might want to do a little work on the exhaust port too. For the fun or it

Even the most dreaded & difficult jobs when building a bike are done just for the fun of it !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:43:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve grinding... Not allowed or...?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.